Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I have no doubt Kroger will destroy the value of what they're buying by homogenizing everything to the Kroger least-common denominator [[no filleting of whole fish, no unusual fish such as mackerel). They'll for sure lose the extra money I spend every week on things that aren't strictly necessary but are nice to have [[soups, eggplant parmesan, chicken pot pies, spanakopita. Maybe the takeover will still be worthwhile to eliminate a competitor that seems to be a PITA [[I'm sure the reason Kroger is paying the lease on the closed store at Maple and Telegraph is to keep Hiller's from opening there). I'll shop at Kroger because I have to, but I'll still be pissed off at losing choices that I have now, including life's little treats.

I wonder if kroger bought hillers to put more upscale grocery stores in their portfolio. They have a very nice Kroger in birmingham that is more like a hillers. My bet/hope is that they keep them more upscale.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    I wonder if kroger bought hillers to put more upscale grocery stores in their portfolio. They have a very nice Kroger in birmingham that is more like a hillers. My bet/hope is that they keep them more upscale.
    KROGER has indicated they will keep ethnic/special products and it makes sense, especially the many Kosher lines. Apparently they seem to be learning from the "acquisitions" like Teeter Harris Stores which also had developed "niche" bases

Although I don't shop at Kroger's with any regularity, I have noticed some tailoring to the market area, especially in Dearborn area due to the large Arabic population

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    KROGER has indicated they will keep ethnic/special products and it makes sense, especially the many Kosher lines. Apparently they seem to be learning from the "acquisitions" like Teeter Harris Stores which also had developed "niche" bases

Although I don't shop at Kroger's with any regularity, I have noticed some tailoring to the market area, especially in Dearborn area due to the large Arabic population
    If they're smart they'll keep the kosher and wide array of ethnic foods, otherwise they'll have a lot of really pissed-off Jewish and Japanese housewives. Earlier this week I was in the Commerce Hillers and a woman checking out the kosher foods with her husband said, "If Kroger gets rid of the kosher section, nobody will shop here anymore!"