Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Maybe the victims family will forgive them too and we can have another happy ending.

Default Walter Williams column in the Oakland Press 5-10-2015

Black Lives Matter by Walter Williams:

"The advice that I would give to anyone of any race in dealing with police is: Follow the officer's instructions. Do not resist arrest or attempt to flee. Do not assault the police officer or try to disarm him. Had this advice been taken, Michael Brown, Eric Garner and Walter Scott would be alive today.

The Ferguson, Missouri, case: Having robbed a liquor store, the person is walking in the middle of the street and blocking traffic. A police officer tells the person to get out of the street. What would you suggest the person do? Would you suggest that he ignore the police officer's instructions, push the officer as he attempts to get out of his vehicle and afterward attempt to take the officer's pistol?

In the case of the New York City death of Eric Garner, what would you recommend? A person is illegally selling cigarettes. The police try to effect an arrest. What would you recommend that the person do? As the police try to take the person into custody, would you advise the person to swat away the arms of the arresting officer, to tell the officer "Don't touch me!" and to continue resisting arrest?"

Walter Williams....hmmm. Almost considered a Republican candidate, against gun-control and affirmative action. No wonder where he is coming from...[[cue classic gentlemen, start your foaming and ranting). Many witnesses saw otherwise in Brown [[despite the legal processes). Garner may've had the expected reaction anyone has to being roughly touched [[and then, gets smothered like he's at Northland Mall or something). After decades of police brutality, it's no wonder some folks chose to flee. None of these merit the excess force and the vast cover-ups that occur among police, other government branches, and the even the media.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Walter Williams....hmmm. Almost considered a Republican candidate, against gun-control and affirmative action. No wonder where he is coming from...[[cue classic gentlemen, start your foaming and ranting). Many witnesses saw otherwise in Brown [[despite the legal processes). Garner may've had the expected reaction anyone has to being roughly touched [[and then, gets smothered like he's at Northland Mall or something). After decades of police brutality, it's no wonder some folks chose to flee. None of these merit the excess force and the vast cover-ups that occur among police, other government branches, and the even the media.
    When all else fails, attack the messenger. A Republican, you say? How distasteful.

I think WW is also black. Why not attack him for his race, too? For being a turncoat? Uncle Tom.

Toss it on. Don't debate the wisdom of his words, just your opinion of the company the man keeps and man's ideas.

It's not worth debating his words because it's pretty much been hashed over already. It's basically victim blaming, which works really well in this case because the vast majority of incidences of police misconduct are covered up.

Long quoted passage from an even longer article, well worth reading:
    The case is weak, however, so a few days or weeks later a prosecutor tells you charges will be dropped. In being processed, you sign a paper. It reads:

I, [[name), hereby release and forever discharge [[complainant) and [[law enforcement agency), all its officers, agents and employees, and any and all other persons from any and all claims which I may have for wrongful conduct by reason of my arrest, detention, or confinement on or about [[date).

This General Waiver and Release is conditioned upon the expungement of the record of my arrest. . . .

You sign, and your "criminal record" disappears, which is great for you. But so does the incident, which is expunged from the public record. And, except in very rare cases, the same police go right back out on the street. The only results of the entire episode are things that can hurt you: Your prints might now be in the system, you might attract future attention by the same police, and your employer might be upset by the whole situation.

This expungement trick is the way it works in Baltimore. To make the charges go away, victims often end up overtly forfeiting a right to sue [[by signing a paper to that effect) or effectively doing so by pleading guilty to lesser offenses [[undercutting, say, any federal civil rights case they might later want to bring).

If a Baltimore case is bad enough to warrant a financial settlement, the gory details usually end up disappeared behind a nondisclosure agreement. A. Dwight Pettit and Baltimore trial lawyer Larry Greenberg can't tell me about most of their worst cases, because they're sealed. In other words, if the victim takes the city's money after a beating or a false arrest, then the city typically gets to dispose of the incident without apologizing or even publicly acknowledging it.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ew-up-20150526

Something struck me today as I walked across Campus Martius today...

There were barely any places to sit. Not because of a lack of chairs. Because they were all full. Sidewalks were congested. People were mingling.

I hope Detroit won't "be the next Baltimore", but maybe some day soon people in Baltimore will want to "be the next Detroit".

I know that a very small area in the CBD isn't enough to turn Detroit around, but the crazy thing is that the momentum is growing, as is that "small area", it keeps getting bigger and bigger. Detroit has more than just the CBD too. The new mayor has his stuff together, the city is stronger financially that it has been in a long time. Government and private businesses are pouring efforts into core services.

I know it's a long road, but you don't have to be a dreamer to be hopeful here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Something struck me today as I walked across Campus Martius today...

There were barely any places to sit. Not because of a lack of chairs. Because they were all full. Sidewalks were congested. People were mingling.

I hope Detroit won't "be the next Baltimore", but maybe some day soon people in Baltimore will want to "be the next Detroit".

I know that a very small area in the CBD isn't enough to turn Detroit around, but the crazy thing is that the momentum is growing, as is that "small area", it keeps getting bigger and bigger. Detroit has more than just the CBD too. The new mayor has his stuff together, the city is stronger financially that it has been in a long time. Government and private businesses are pouring efforts into core services.

I know it's a long road, but you don't have to be a dreamer to be hopeful here anymore.
    You know what that reminded me of?

Back in July 2014 I decided to walk from Greektown to the Rosa Parks TC and back, didn't feel threatened at all and there were a lot of people in around Campus Martius.

An experience like that would certainly think you were actually in another city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Baltimore, if anything, has a blacker power structure than Detroit. Black mayor, black police chief, black police force, and a much blacker metro area and state.

Obviously if it can happen in Baltimore it can happen in Detroit. The assumption that riots are less likely to occur if an area has black leadership and/or a black police force isn't based on anything.
    Its no longer in vogue to blame the race of the local police officers or officials, since that no longer plays to the 'appeasement liberal' mindset. Now the blame is on the inherent racism of the system. We know someone must be blamed. Just not sure who.

Default WWHI Detroit was next in line to see riots and WWYD if they did happen?

With the way the news has been recently, I would not be surprised if one day everything got out of control here in Metro Detroit.

If Detroit is next in this recent wave of riots across the country that has been happening for almost a year, what would happen and what would you do if they spread to your neighborhood?

If any riot ever spread down here into Wyandotte, I would hire Klinger from M*A*S*H. Seriously. I would also call Andy Taylor, Barney Fife, Reed & Malloy, Perry Mason and Ben Matlock in for backup.
    Last edited by mtburb; June-08-15 at 07:32 PM.

No. Not enough white people in the Police force to have racial tensions.

Honestly, I don't feel any police presence at all unless I go downtown. They simply don't show up. If you're not there, you can't do harm. I guess that's a plus?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    With the way the news has been recently, I would not be surprised if one day everything got out of control here in Metro Detroit.

If Detroit is next in this recent wave of riots across the country that has been happening for almost a year, what would happen and what would you do if they spread to your neighborhood?

If any riot ever spread down here into Wyandotte, I would hire Klinger from M*A*S*H. Seriously. I would also call Andy Taylor, Barney Fife, Reed & Malloy, Perry Mason and Ben Matlock in for backup.
    Ha ha, very funny.

All hope for Detroit would vanish. Careful what you hope for.

Default What were you told to do by your parents if you were stopped by the police?

"The advice that I would give to anyone of any race in dealing with police is: Follow the officer's instructions. Do not resist arrest or attempt to flee. Do not assault the police officer or try to disarm him."

I was told to follow the law and don't commit any crime. And I was also told that if I did do something wrong and got caught don't make thing worse by resisting arrest. Are the readers of this post saying the advise from the Walter Williams statement is somehow "wrong"?

What should young people be told to do when they are given a lawfull order by the police? Name:  baltmore.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  56.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post

"The advice that I would give to anyone of any race in dealing with police is: Follow the officer's instructions. Do not resist arrest or attempt to flee. Do not assault the police officer or try to disarm him."

I was told to follow the law and don't commit any crime. And I was also told that if I did do something wrong and got caught don't make thing worse by resisting arrest. Are the readers of this post saying the advise from the Walter Williams statement is somehow "wrong"?

What should young people be told to do when they are given a lawfull order by the police? Name:  baltmore.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  56.2 KB
    What a wonderful looking neighborhood! Anyone know what the housing stock is like there?

Just nice job there. Look at what I just discovered, although wherever he put this message on is kinda unusual.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=uf3701d7c-3e31-4054-a713-8287a1de7b91

Better get ready.

What's even worse, the DPD doesn't even have an email to report stuff of this magnitude to. I've looked all over the relevant pages on the city website.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-10-15 at 09:16 AM.

That's nonsense. Someone on that site even said the model was a rip-off. Didn't I just read a post here about an urban myth about emails sent warning that gangs were going to go around and shoot women at gas stations in Flint and Detroit. It was proven false. Someone is drumming up a bunch of negativity.
    Don't believe everything you read.

Quote Originally Posted by Now&then View Post
    Someone on that site even said the model was a rip-off.
    That was me.

Quote Originally Posted by Now&then View Post
    That's nonsense. Someone on that site even said the model was a rip-off. Didn't I just read a post here about an urban myth about emails sent warning that gangs were going to go around and shoot women at gas stations in Flint and Detroit. It was proven false. Someone is drumming up a bunch of negativity.
    Don't believe everything you read.
    All threats need to be taken seriously these days. Not a real smart thing to put on the internet, true or not.

DetroitBoy Guest

Just nice job there. Look at what I just discovered, although wherever he put this message on is kinda unusual.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=uf3701d7c-3e31-4054-a713-8287a1de7b91

Better get ready.

What's even worse, the DPD doesn't even have an email to report stuff of this magnitude to. I've looked all over the relevant pages on the city website.
    Detroit is not Baltimore or Ferguson. People here had become so accustomed to calling for fire or police and never seeing either respond they are thrilled to see them these days when they come!

False alarm. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    False alarm. Good.
    So they lock down schools when a third grader draws a gun on a napkin but this shit gets posted and nothing happens. I think I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    So they lock down schools when a third grader draws a gun on a napkin but this shit gets posted and nothing happens. I think I get it.
    But whatever, if any, rioting resulted from this threatening model, it happened in Ferguson, not at Grand Circus Park.

Heck, I even contacted WJBK about this threat [[after trying to find the contact link through the sea that was their newly-redesigned website which even reverted back to the old fox2detroit.com URL) and they and the other news outlets have yet to show anything about it.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-10-15 at 10:03 PM.

Heck, I even contacted WJBK about this threat [[after trying to find the contact link through the sea that was their newly-redesigned website which even reverted back to the old fox2detroit.com URL) and they and the other news outlets have yet to show anything about it.
    The fact that they hadn't reported on this "threat" makes them look pretty good.

Looks like he's back at it again...plus, he also wants to wreak chaos on the Woodward Dream Cruise and restart the Baltimore riots too!!

http://imgur.com/gallery/8cSjW63/new

Links to these models:
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...c-be7d02816af5
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...e-ebb3f1208ca6
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...b-da320e987fe7

What will we do now? This world has gone crazily mad.

Unless you have an interest in promoting this idiocy, stop mentioning it here. You've succeeded putting this idea in front of an enormously larger audience than it ever would have received at that 3D model site, the very day it craves attention, and to a targeted Detroit audience at that. Either you made these or you're foolishly providing them publicity they certainly don't deserve. A responsible person would tell the police not the news media, and would not amplify their presence online.

They're amateurishly executed besides.

Now I hope not to prolong the discussion. This thread should die.
    Last edited by bust; August-11-15 at 04:14 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast