Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

I welcome most diversions of topics, yet, I'm going to side with bust and Now&then. That notice is just plain silly, and yes, it hearkens very much to what I posted in Urban Myths & Legends [[citing from snopes) about "warnings" that gangs are going to shoot women at gas stations in Flint and Michigan. Again, please read:
    "The Culture of Fear: Why Americans Are Afraid of the Wrong Things" by Glassner

Yet, sadly, the thread at large can't die, because there are more details:

If there is anything I have to thank Matt for posting this, is that it gave me the hotfoot to follow up on recent events in Ferguson. Seems a peaceful sit-in protest by Black Lives Matter led to arrests [[including a reverend and someone from Detroit), despite that there were no shots, lootings, or property damage [[though mysterious gunfire was heard the previous night at another demonstration). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0923c12bdb0a2Sorry for the Huffpo link, but this is overshadowed by their reports of a different [[and far less civilly mature) demonstration in Seattle that disrupted Bernie Sanders speech.

When one searches "Detroit and Barney Fife" online, one will get a Huffpo article by Rev. Charles Williams II about Belle Isle. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/revere...b_4768642.htmlWhoever posted the notice Matt "found", was trying to create a distraction or to elevate fearful tension with a sham to coincide with the Black Lives Matter protests. Given the history of civil rights and how others have tried to counter announced protests [[read up on this, folks!), it's the same old, dumb tactics.

If there is something we can finally add to end this hoax in it's tracks, it would be this: that if "Barney Fife S." is a genuine person and a local, than I think I know who it may've been. It would be a strange [[but crafty) woman with a triple alliterative name who hails from K-zoo [[home to Upjohn pharmaceuticals), lived in the Cass Corridor for some time using her intellectual charm to shmooz with many arts and cultural facets, and had a page on Linkedin claiming she was fundraising for Eli lily [[she has since omitted the Eli lily part) in the Guadalajara Area of Mexico. She specializes in ruining and altering the lives of others for the worse [[often getting them to take "L.S.D." and then leave them in the hands of a raving maniac for six hours straight). She is an IV drug user who claims to be a nurse, and she should be avoided at all costs!

Well, here's an update on those threats-I actually reported them to the MSP hours ago. Let's find out what they'll do about it.

Decided to bump this thread considering how close we literally came to actually becoming "the next Ferguson or Baltimore" with that mass protest outside the Fox during last night's GOP debate.

Matt, I love your threads on old TV and other topics, but dang if you don't get a wee bit too riot jumpy for my liking. Consarnit all!

417deer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    If a white Detroit policeman kills an African American could we be next?
    Could it be that Malice Green counts for Ferguson and Baltimore becoming the next Detroit instead? Just want to know your thoughts on this.

Take this from a former New Yorker and a current Philadelphian: Detroit is already messed up as it is!!! Look at Chicago, it's basically the metropolis of the Midwest, and I have no problem with that, but even though Detroit was and still is considered a black city, the administration should've saved something for the whites. In other words, some of the neighborhoods should've been mostly white such as west of Greenfield, east of Connor, and south of Michigan.

And while I'm not a racist, I still feel that Mayor Coleman Andrew Young did everything he could to keep Detroit from dying, and to keep the whites and blacks from leaving, but even his efforts didn't stop Detroit from dying. But I can say that at least he helped built the Renaissance Center and the city was at least a million people during his lifetime. I don't know about Archer, but all I can say was that Mayor Young did his best to keep Detroit from dying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 417deer View Post
    Could it be that Malice Green counts for Ferguson and Baltimore becoming the next Detroit instead? Just want to know your thoughts on this.
    A very simple and obvious conclusion.

Detroit has, IMO, been spared a lot of the current racial battles, mostly because they have already been fought here. Mainly because of CAY, Detroit actively racially integrated the Police force here. And in the case of Nevers/Budzyn, we clearly spoke and said that we don't want aggressive cops, we prefer our police to be meek. In Detroit's case, the 'Ferguson effect' is quite visible. We'll see if Ferguson and Baltimore enjoy the 'Detroit Effect'.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8