Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dan Gilbert loses cool, calls report on Bedrock security cameras in Detroit 'libelous

"DETROIT, MI - Detroit real estate mogul Dan Gilbert got in a bit virtual scuffle over the weekend.

In a series of Tweets, Gilbert tangentially responded to a report from Detroit reporter Steve Neavling published on motorcitymuckraker.com, calling Neavling's story about Gilbert's security cameras "Another libelous article."

Neavling's report focused on the security cameras Gilbert-owned Bedrock Real Estate Services has put up around the central business district in downtown Detroit.

According to Neavling, Gilbert has installed the equipment on buildings he doesn't own. Most recently, Grace Keros, owner of American Coney Island, reportedly had some of Bedrock's equipment removed from her building."

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...l#incart_river

For someone describe by Nolan Finely as "Detroit tough" he sure does seem to have thin skin.

It's only libel if it's not true.

So far, the evidence seems pretty solid. Two instances of pictures + quotes from named sources who happen to be the business and building owners in question.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post

For someone describe by Nolan Finely as "Detroit tough" he sure does seem to have thin skin.
    I'm not sure if it's "thin skin"; but a total lack of a filter and no PR flack around to massage his rants into typical corporate-speak. Someone needs to take his twitter away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm not sure if it's "thin skin"; but a total lack of a filter and no PR flack around to massage his rants into typical corporate-speak. Someone needs to take his twitter away from him.
    i don't mind his rants. At least it shows he cares about things. Agree or disagree passion is passion

Its quite apparent that he has installed cameras on at least a couple of buildings he doesn't own and where he did not have permission. So to go on a tirade about "libel" just makes Bedrock look like a bully. I wonder how many other buildings might have these cameras where permission was not granted, and they are just hesitant to make waves?

Gilbert called the man "scum" as well. If you can't refute the message just attack the messenger, I guess...

In Gilbert's defense, Steve Neavling is a joke of a "journalist". He makes no attempt to get both sides of the story and always presents his skewed version of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    In Gilbert's defense, Steve Neavling is a joke of a "journalist". He makes no attempt to get both sides of the story and always presents his skewed version of the story.

Prove it.

I believe the opposite, to the extreme. Neavling is a journalist's journalist. I've watched him pursue city officials over the phone, and I know directly his refusal to print official lies.

He is one of the few ethical reporters left in this city.

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Prove it.

I believe the opposite, to the extreme. Neavling is a journalist's journalist. I've watched him pursue city officials over the phone, and I know directly his refusal to print official lies.

Sincerely,
    John
    I don't follow him, but almost every time he comes up he's inserting himself into the story. Report the news, quit crying about being called names.

Prove it.

Sincerely,
    John
    How about the fact he omitted from his story that Quicken sued the DOJ... Steve kept the part about the DOJ suing QL... which to me seems to be an irrelevant bit to include in a story about cameras on a building...unless you're looking to color the action as further nefarious behavior from a shady organization. And lets also review the updated fact that Steve had to admit it was actually Compuware that installed the camera years ago on the building [[also not the building Steve id'd) not Bedrock and they did it a while ago to secure the pocket garden Compuware paid for and the land lord encouraged it. Now the owner has stopped commenting.

So basically the entire thrust of the article... Dan Gilbert [[who may or may not be a criminal...see DOJ lawsuit) "surreptitiously places equipment on American coney island building" was entirely false. It wasn't Bedrock that placed it and it was on the building next door. And the land lord knew about its placement...but is apparenlty upset about not seeing the feed...or something, that point is not clear because Neavling didn't bother to really sort that out before slinging his accusations.

I mean the guy is what he claims to be: a "muckraker". sometimes you can sift out a valuable piece of journalism in that muck... most of the time he's just slinging mud.
    Last edited by bailey; April-28-15 at 08:36 AM.

Prove it.

Sincerely,
    John
    Yes, I want Gilbert to respect property rights.

In this case, the camera was installed back in 2011. You can see the camera in several pictures here: http://www.kw-la.com/kenweikal/2011/...-urban-garden/

You can see the antenna on Streetview in August 2013. https://goo.gl/maps/rzx3B

i think the reporting on this is necessary and interesting. i have no doubt that dan is doing everything he can to protect his investments and create a security net. i would like to see transparency regarding this and less twitter battles.

i find it funny though... i think steve and gilbert are cut form the same cloth in a lot of ways. dan goes on rants on twitter and steve has a tendency to rant and call people names on facebook. both look somewhat foolish when they do so.

I'm very surprise that Dan Gilbert took the troll bait. It makes him look like an internet neophyte. I can only guess that he that he was having a bad week after the DOJ suit / countersuit and lost it. He should leave this stuff to his PR officer.

Steve Neavling is a troll of sorts. What part of 'muckraker' doesn't Gilbert understand? That is what a muckraker does - stir the pot [putting it politely] and create a reaction. He's very good at it and has hit home run by drawing a celebrity like Dan Gilbert into the fray. No reaction. No story.

He often works on very thin threads, omits contrary items and can be known to 'not let a fact get in the way of a good story'.

Yet he is providing an interesting mix of entertainment and reporting, but he may end up in costly court defense if he is not careful with his words.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Yes, I want Gilbert to respect property rights.

In this case, the camera was installed back in 2011. You can see the camera in several pictures here: http://www.kw-la.com/kenweikal/2011/...-urban-garden/

You can see the antenna on Streetview in August 2013. https://goo.gl/maps/rzx3B
    probably should make sure that building wall isn't in the public right of way before calling the camera "trespassing". Right of way usually extends past the sidewalk.

Prove it.

Sincerely,
    John
    Apparently I don't need to prove it as there are many others here who have quickly responded before I could. You say he refuses to print "official lies" but he obviously has no problem printing his own unofficial ones. What can you expect from someone who was fired from the Free Press?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Apparently I don't need to prove it as there are many others here who have quickly responded before I could. You say he refuses to print "official lies" but he obviously has no problem printing his own unofficial ones. What can you expect from someone who was fired from the Free Press?
    Sorry, but being fired from the Free Press is a recommendation in my book.

Neavling has had an axe to grind with Gilbert.

Gilbert called the article libelous, not a specific claim. I'd be interested to know what part he thinks isn't true.

It also would be nice for Bedrock to provide public comment about the claims of installing camera's against property owners' wishes.

When people like Gilbert act like heros and put themselves on a pedestal, they end up falling hard. Gilbert is a thin skinned little man.

How is being offensive and protecting oneself loosing your cool?

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    "DETROIT, MI - Detroit real estate mogul Dan Gilbert got in a bit virtual scuffle over the weekend.

In a series of Tweets, Gilbert tangentially responded to a report from Detroit reporter Steve Neavling published on motorcitymuckraker.com, calling Neavling's story about Gilbert's security cameras "Another libelous article."

Neavling's report focused on the security cameras Gilbert-owned Bedrock Real Estate Services has put up around the central business district in downtown Detroit.

According to Neavling, Gilbert has installed the equipment on buildings he doesn't own. Most recently, Grace Keros, owner of American Coney Island, reportedly had some of Bedrock's equipment removed from her building."

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    How about the fact he omitted from his story that Quicken sued the DOJ... Steve kept the part about the DOJ suing QL... which to me seems to be an irrelevant bit to include in a story about cameras on a building...unless you're looking to color the action as further nefarious behavior from a shady organization. And lets also review the updated fact that Steve had to admit it was actually Compuware that installed the camera years ago on the building [[also not the building Steve id'd) not Bedrock and they did it a while ago to secure the pocket garden Compuware paid for and the land lord encouraged it. Now the owner has stopped commenting.

So basically the entire thrust of the article... Dan Gilbert [[who may or may not be a criminal...see DOJ lawsuit) "surreptitiously places equipment on American coney island building" was entirely false. It wasn't Bedrock that placed it and it was on the building next door. And the land lord knew about its placement...but is apparenlty upset about not seeing the feed...or something, that point is not clear because Neavling didn't bother to really sort that out before slinging his accusations.

I mean the guy is what he claims to be: a "muckraker". sometimes you can sift out a valuable piece of journalism in that muck... most of the time he's just slinging mud.
    spot on, i read the guys work but most of the time it seems like hes just picking a fight for attention. Hes like a less talented/badass Leduff.

I'd like to see donations by Bedrock/Quicken of security cameras for the neighborhoods- install them on street lamps and telephone poles; allow police to view the footage to get a better handle on any kind of crimes going on in the residential areas. To the extent that when drama jumps off in the neighborhoods, various folks are reluctant to talk [[a discussion for another day), but at least there might be some video evidence to reference.

I just went to his site and all you see on the front page is Gilbert this or Gilbert that. Hes obviously obsessed and has a personal vendetta. Iif i were uncle Dan id watch my back, it borderline creepy now.

Does anyone know if this footage is from a Bedrock camera?

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...ellphone-thief

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    Does anyone know if this footage is from a Bedrock camera?

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...ellphone-thief
    I had the same question in my mind! Judging by the height and angle, I'd say it's from the top of 1001 Woodward, a Bedrock building.