Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Such sad news... My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Stacking Rocks and setting Tiles on Jupiter, maybe. Lots of Django dogs around, all overjoyed. I will never see a stack of rocks without seeing your Spirit, friend. Working on a tile to set... Somewhere. The Alley? On the way to the Beach? Somewhere on the way to the Packard?

Freak Beach, for sure.

Give me a few hours and I will post some comments and reflections on my friend Matthew Loflin Davis, AKA 'Django' AKA 'Pigpen'.

Matthew saved my ass at the Packard Plant on July 25, 2014, when three black youths in hoodies attempted to rob me of my camera equipment at gun-point.

My real name is Robert Wallace, and I am a professional photographer and journalist from Australia. Some of you have met me. Heck, I even stayed at some of your houses. Sumas [[Sue, and her husband Ron) would've accommodated me according to Django, but I had already arranged places to stay by then.

I will make contact with several of you [[Lowell, Gannon, Joe Krause, etc) as I'd like to stay in contact. Not sure when I'll be back in Detroit, but not this year.

For me, Django was Detroit. It is no weepy cliche to say the guy had a big heart.

Here's some of what I shot in your fine city....

http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#p...rt=0&q=detroit

http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#p...ace&p=1&sort=0

I need someone to help me build a website in memory of Django. I also wish to locate the guy who published Django's book Junky Chronicles.

[[I never had the heart to tell Django that 'junky' is usually spelt 'junkie'...)

I'll post some more later today.
    Last edited by night-timer; April-18-15 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Stacking Rocks and setting Tiles on Jupiter, maybe. Lots of Django dogs around, all overjoyed. I will never see a stack of rocks without seeing your Spirit, friend. Working on a tile to set... Somewhere. The Alley? On the way to the Beach? Somewhere on the way to the Packard?
    Thank you Gaz, I stink at computer stuff but guess I will get off my butt. Have a pic on my fridge of one of his rock creations. Will try to post. Have his bible, dictionary and theusarus. Will do a tile too. Still in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Give me a few hours and I will post some comments and reflections on my friend Matthew Loflin Davis, AKA 'Django' AKA 'Pigpen'.

Matthew saved my ass at the Packard Plant on July 25, 2014, when three black youth in hoodies attempted to rob me of my camera equipment at gun-point.

My real name is Robert Wallace, and I am a professional photographer and journalist from Australia. Some of you have met me. Heck, I even stayed at some of your houses. Sumas [[Sue, and her husband Ron) would've accommodated me according to Django, but I had already arranged places to stay by then.

I will make contact with several of you [[Lowell, Gannon, Joe Krause, etc) as I'd like to stay in contact. Not sure when I'll be back in Detroit, but not this year.

For me, Django was Detroit. It is no weepy cliche to say the guy had a big heart.

Here's some of what I shot in your fine city....

http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#p...rt=0&q=detroit

http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#p...ace&p=1&sort=0

I need someone to help me build a website in memory of Django. I also wish to locate the guy who published Django's book Junky Chronicles.

[[I never had the heart to tell Django that 'junky; is usually spelt 'junkie'...)

I'll post some more later today.
    softculture.org, publisher can give names of designers editors if needed. I have two copies.

Django you will so be missed. Such a gentle and kind spirit you were behind your ruggedly handsome exterior. Who will I now send the requests I get from around the world for a guide to the true inner heart of Detroit? Rest in peace my friend. You will be fondly and warmly remembered.

I filmed some formal interviews [[well, maybe a little informal) with Django. I will edit them and forward them to family and friends of Matt who would like a copy.

This sucks. Met him years ago and such a character and fun to talk with. RIP Django!

I didn't have camera equipment with me at the time, so I shot these pix of Django with my iPhone. We were in Jumbo's Bar in Midtown. Nice locals.

The occasion was the book launch and book signing of Django's book Junky Chronicles.

I will edit together my best photos and interviews with Django and forward them to his family and friends, perhaps via Lowell. They are High-Def videos and will be a nice memento of a true Detroiter.

Name:  IMG_0849.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  62.5 KB
    Last edited by night-timer; April-18-15 at 09:52 PM.

Shocked & saddened to hear this.

This is very sad to hear...
    I still can't determine if this is the same guy my mom and I saw stacking rocks back on Belle Isle in 03'. Wish I knew him better-for I only knew him as one of the actual Detroit residents who sent an encouraging comment in my direction on DY, once in a while. My prayers go out to all family and friends.
    May his soul be at peace.

My condolences to his family and to all his friends... I did get to meet and chat with him at a couple of the DYES picnic's.... such a colorful individual... RIP DJANGO......

DetroitYES Home » Detroit Connections » Fun Videos » [Django's] favorite Christmas clamation by W.S. Burroughs. A Junky Christmas

This video culminates in a communal tribute to W.S. Burroughs, which I'm certain Django enjoyed very much.

I am still in shock. I will not post again. Matt and I had differences over the years. Mostly his drug stuff. He was still "family" and haven't stopped crying. My sweet boy, I will miss you!

Sumas, yes, it was certainly a shock announcement. Regarding the "drug stuff" you speak of, Gannon told me Django was taking better care of himself in recent times. And now this!

Just saw this. Don't want to believe it.

Greetings DetYes family as an oft insomniac, I awoke to check out the blog and learned of Django's passing. I'm so sorry to hear of this -- what a loss to our community. I'd conversed briefly with D on a couple of threads and was looking forward to meeting him as he'd talked to me about his book. I'd to know more about the arrangements as they go forth.

Zacha341, I'm back in Australia, but Django's sister Laura [[in Seattle) and a FaceBook guy called Rico Africa [[in Detroit in the Cass Corridor) will keep me posted on the funeral/memorial details. Stay in contact and I will be happy to furnish you with the info. I have already told Django's sister Laura I can't be there for the service... please be there for me, everyone.
    Last edited by night-timer; April-19-15 at 01:54 AM.

This really sucks. His insight /Detroit, his unique and stark photos and his great persona.

Old Guy, would it be fair to say Django was a fair bit younger than you? It's so sad and confusing when people die young.

I will try to arrange things with Django's family that his photos of Detroit street life will be placed into a proper and distinguished historic archive. My own photos over the years - of newsworthy events, etc - have been placed into various National Archives around the world - and Django deserves the same if not better remembrance.

Name:  IMG_0364.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  49.9 KB
    _________

Can anyone help: I wish to contact the owners of the "Old Miami" bar on Cass Avenue in the Midtown Cass Corridor. Whenever I went there with Django, he genuinely cared about the fish in the pond in the Miami beer garden, out the back. I think it's appropriate that we remember Django's moments at his favorite hang-out... cheers, Robert Wallace.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast