Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Django Passed Away Last Night

Update: Memorial Celebration Announced by Django's Sister.

I just wanted to let everyone know that we will be having a celebration of my brother Matthew Loflin Davis's life this Wednesday, April 22 at 5pm at The Old Miami in Detroit. Bring your pictures and your stories. The address is 3930 Cass Ave, Detroit, MI 48201. I hope to see everyone there. I'll be needing hugs.

==========================
    Django, was a friend to many and will be severely missed by anyone he met.

i have no details on the cause of death or any funeral plans.

His death is just a waste of a million things. Potential being the biggest.

What!!! [[crying and screaming!) My prayers to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

I am sorry to hear this, I always enjoyed his stories and experiences. He will be missed

Sorry to hear this. Sad to say we will never have that beer together he so desired after our last chat.

Very sad to hear this

Horrible, tragic news! Rest in peace, Matt.

Strombrg2

God speed, Matthew. Honored to have been your friend.

Damn. Another one from my team :_[[

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Well, I am crying and can't stop, Django was like a son, a brother, a friend ... all rolled up in one big package. He lived with us on and off over the years. I have so many wonderful stories to tell. He was talented in many things.

I loved him!

I understand his family is notified and likely a wake will be held for him with friends at his favorite bar. No doubt it will get posted.

Damn I am still crying. crying, crying! It's like losing a baby brother or son.

Sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends.

oh no. so sad

Condolences to the family and friends. What a shock.

I am very sad to hear this. My condolences to the family, his friends, especially you Sumas, who introduced me to him. I got a nice e-mail from him 3 weeks ago after thanking him for receiving a copy of his book. He had a rough life but was a gentle soul with a big frame to handle it. This gentle misfit will find a place in our DYes heaven, this coming from someone not the least bit religious, but... Rest in Peace my friend! JFK

Two stories, A few years back we had about 12 inches of snow. I tried to shovel us out but gave up. Here cames Django like a knight in shining armor, took care of everything, borrowed the snow blower and made some pretty good bucks digging other folks out.

My favorite story was when he dropped in and my Mom who was failing had a seizure. He scooped her up, drove us to the hospital and stayed. He had a heart as big as Texas. I am still crying. I wish more of you knew the Django I loved.

What a great guy he was. And you know it by the Django-sized hole all my friends are feeling today. I'll miss you, Pigpen, and hope to meet up with you again at that big bar in the sky ...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I am very sad to hear this. My condolences to the family, his friends, especially you Sumas, who introduced me to him. I got a nice e-mail from him 3 weeks ago after thanking him for receiving a copy of his book. He had a rough life but was a gentle soul with a big frame to handle it. This gentle misfit will find a place in our DYes heaven, this coming from someone not the least bit religious, but... Rest in Peace my friend! JFK
    Thank you Canuck, I am still reeling. We were out to lunch with him a few weeks back, he dropped in for a short visit more recently. Worked for a friend who needed help last week. He was always so vibrant and alive. I am still in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What a great guy he was. And you know it by the Django-sized hole all my friends are feeling today. I'll miss you, Pigpen, and hope to meet up with you again at that big bar in the sky ...
    Obvious you knew him, his other alias was pigpen. His Dad died in Vietnam, maybe they are having a few on the house?

My best wishes are with his family and all the people on here that knew him. He sounds like a great guy.

Sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends

Saddened to read this. Didn't know him well, just a few couch conversations at the Dally, and one on Belle Isle. Condolences to family, friends, and sumas.
    Less important, which was his favorite bar?

I am shocked and saddened to hear this. I also know him from only a few conversations on the Dally couch. All the new businesses and development in Detroit are great, but a guy like him brings character to a city. He will be missed. I wasn't planning on drinking tonight, but I will hoist one is his honor.

Sorry to hear the news.

A kind heart and well traveled pillar of the true Detroit. He will live on in many memories.

Now - A Jazz or Western guitar tribute ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Saddened to read this. Didn't know him well, just a few couch conversations at the Dally, and one on Belle Isle. Condolences to family, friends, and sumas.
    Less important, which was his favorite bar?
    Miami bar, Cass Corridor, most of the couches for his martini bar for the Dally we supplied in the past few years. I really can't believe he is gone.

Over the years we have met his family, took him to see his dieing Mother up north. We have zero say in what his family will do but I expect he would have liked his ashes scattered at the [[once was) naked hippie beach on Belle Isle.

He did get to the island one more time. We went for a cruise not long ago.

He was happier than I'd ever seen him this past week.

Still trying to piece it all together, but he called at 11:28 in the morning...and a friend found him a few hours later.

We had some deep talks when he finally came around again after he found his friend dead a month ago.

Damnit, Django. [[That's all I got, my friend. Going to miss you.)

Big love, y'all. Live while you can. Leave no regrets.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast