Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Probably he wants to serve out his term traveling around the country giving political speeches so he can experience driving on some decent roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    An extraordinary job? In what manner? He's been extraordinary at manufacturing fiscal crises by cutting taxes for millionaires, then making up the difference by slashing spending on education. His propensity to cave on issues he's not personally invested in indicates to me we'd be involved in four or five stupid wars before his first year was over. He'd be an even bigger disaster than George W was. And don't get me started on job creation. Michigan's recovery this time is yet another auto-based recovery, not some magical increase in start-ups or drawing jobs from other states due to Snyder's tax policies.
    But those tax cuts for the rich are just about to pay off......this time. You are supposed to ignore that fact that they just create a budget mess, and don't create any more economic activity. At least he hasn't totally blown up the budget and tanked the economy like Brownback has in Kansas

Name:  Lucy.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  51.5 KB
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-19-15 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Am I the only one who watches the state of the state? He is weak at best with public speaking. No chance at all in a presidential race without that skill.
    So then George Bush was a great public speaker, by your rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    So then George Bush was a great public speaker, by your rationale.
    George Bush was fairly bad public speaker, but he didn't have a high, squeaky voice. Snyder has a worse voice than any president elected since radio became widespread--Coolidge didn't have a great voice, but he was elected very early in the radio era.

Voters, consciously or not, recognize that the presidency has a substantial element of public presentation and performance, in a way that the office of governor does not, and favor candidates who are better at these things. As people move more and more to voting strictly by party, as is logical in the current polarized environment, voters are more likely to overlook specific defects in their party's candidates, but I don't expect that to extend to the individual party's nominating process.

An extraordinary job? In what manner? He's been extraordinary at manufacturing fiscal crises by cutting taxes for millionaires, then making up the difference by slashing spending on education. His propensity to cave on issues he's not personally invested in indicates to me we'd be involved in four or five stupid wars before his first year was over. He'd be an even bigger disaster than George W was. And don't get me started on job creation. Michigan's recovery this time is yet another auto-based recovery, not some magical increase in start-ups or drawing jobs from other states due to Snyder's tax policies.
    You are one of those people that see the R after his name instead of a D and that's what makes your mind up. He's been a decent governor, one that doesn't have a problem proposing things that piss off his own party and that's what we need more of out of our leaders. Most of them walk the party line, Snyder doesn't do that. He feels we need a higher sales tax to fix the roads, instead of bullshitting around, he comes out and just says it and puts it to a vote. Most politicians would try to pretty it up before they sell it to you.

An extraordinary job? In what manner? He's been extraordinary at manufacturing fiscal crises by cutting taxes for millionaires, then making up the difference by slashing spending on education.
    If you check it out Graduation has increased percentage wise each year while he's been Gov. so "slashing spending on education" has worked. As for "cutting taxes for millionaires"; he can't cut taxes on the people that don't pay any and are just consumers of

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Snyder can't be president because Republicans don't like him.
    He certainly can not lead his own legislature. He freely admits that proposal 1 was not the way he would have gone about raising MDOTs budget to fix the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    If you check it out Graduation has increased percentage wise each year while he's been Gov. so "slashing spending on education" has worked. As for "cutting taxes for millionaires"; he can't cut taxes on the people that don't pay any and are just consumers of
    The reason the percentage of graduates is increasing is because the largest generation [[Millennials) in world history is currently college-age. So of course there will naturally be way more people graduating in their classes, simply because of their sheer size.

And an increase in graduatiom rates means nothing if they're not learning anything. Instead, let's try discussing how Michigan schools are now in the bottom 10 states for the quality of their education...
    Last edited by 313WX; April-20-15 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The reason the percentage of graduates is increasing is because the largest generation [[Millennials) in world history is currently college-age. So of course there will naturally be way more people graduating in their classes, simply because of their sheer size....snip...
    Percentages are adjusted for population size.

But let's realize that all the statistics used here at DetroitYes and in the world are based on studies being commissioned by radical Environmentalists or Tea Partiers wherein we each only choose the numbers that support our own POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I think the biggest problem for Snyder is that Walker made successful changes in Wisconsin that are showing results. He makes a case for, and has proven that public service reform can be done fairly. And that we can do a better job of serving citizens that we have.
    There is certainly room for disagreement here.

For what it's worth, while probably on the opposite end of the political spectrum as Wesley Mouch, I am also not a fan of President Obama.

"Once we get into May, the governor will travel more out of the state and promote Michigan, particularly the remarkable economic comeback," Jarrod Agen said.

Yeah because he won't want to be around once Proposal 1 fails.

+1000, Snyder hasn't created jack for jobs since he signed the RTW legislation. Michigan is in the same predicament as it was before he gained office as far as jobs are concerned. The only one's being created are low wage jobs, where you have to work two or three of them, to make ends meet. Then he took the tax burden off the rich, and put it squarely on the middle and lower working classes laps. Now he's going to tour the country to toot his horn about the outstanding job he's done, while we are still dodging potholes and praying not to hit one.

It's actually sleazy that Snyder is taking credit for the low wage/insecure jobs being created when the credit should be more like 95% Obama and 5% Bush.

Governors [[and presidents) tend to get the blame or the credit for what happens when they are in office, whether it has much to do with them or not. That isn't anything about Snyder in particular; it is just the way it works. Sometimes it actually does have something to do with them, but usually when it comes to governors and the economy, not a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    +1000, Snyder hasn't created jack for jobs since he signed the RTW legislation. Michigan is in the same predicament as it was before he gained office as far as jobs are concerned. The only one's being created are low wage jobs, where you have to work two or three of them, to make ends meet. Then he took the tax burden off the rich, and put it squarely on the middle and lower working classes laps. Now he's going to tour the country to toot his horn about the outstanding job he's done, while we are still dodging potholes and praying not to hit one.
    The roads are terrible because the users of the roads [[Michigan residents) fail to compromise and pay more. There are options like gas tax, mileage taxes or raising the sales tax. No one wants to pay more, which is understandable, but if we dont do something the roads and bridges will fall apart to the point they are no longer useable. This isn't a political issue its the truth and making public safety about politics one of the reasons this country is going to hell. If we cant compromise then what do we actually accomplish?

Now Don, do you really think the Detroit crisis was 'manufactured'? If so, then Snyder is much smarter than I thought.

But as this thread has wound away from the stated topic, I realized that the topic shouldn't have been RS for President, but RS for Vice-President.

The Republican slate may be as devoid of great thinkers as the Democratic slate, but unlike the Dems the Pubs have a deep bench. No need for Snyder -- unless he's the serious 'tough nerd' VP behind someone else, bringing them proven Machiavellian creds and frankly a moderate record of achievements, only spoiled by RTW which was mostly shoved down his throat. The 'inventor of the internet' for a new era.

I'd vote for Snyder for President.

He's tackled tough issues that weren't sexy but needy tackling. And, he seems to be trying honestly to not be divisive, and to keep an eye on the bottom line.

I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I'd vote for Snyder for President.

He's tackled tough issues that weren't sexy but needy tackling. And, he seems to be trying honestly to not be divisive, and to keep an eye on the bottom line.

I like him.

Glad somebody does, I sure don't.

I suppose this is what passes for compassion in today's GOP: fighting to deny a dying man's marriage.

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2015...mans-marriage/

"Moderate"? No.
    "Pragmatic"? No.
    "A Leader"? No.

Run of the mill for the GOP? Sadly, yes.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-22-15 at 12:06 PM.

When Snyder first went into office, I thought he had the opportunity to be the next Reagan, where he could appeal to both parties, and thought that he had a good chance to run for President if things went well.

While I still like him, I just don't see a Presidential run being successful.

Where Reagan was able to appeal to members of both parties and voters who supported both parties, today the landscape seems to have changed. Republican party leaders and supporters don't back him because the Republican party these days is all about their ideology, and that's about it.

Democrat voters here in Michigan seem to look at the R next to Snyder's name and that's it for them. While Snyder has done a lot of 'Republican-like' things, he's also ventured into territory quite a number of times into things that Democrats would favor, but voters don't see that.

A large part of that plays into the last and final reason why he wouldn't win, and that's that he doesn't have the personality for it. He doesn't grandstand, and while most politicians do that way too much, there's a case that he does it too little.

The last two governors had their own style that, for better or worse, made things happen for them. Other politicians were afraid of Engler and he strategically used that to get what he wanted. Granholm played the great social game, being everybodys best friend in order to get what she wanted. Snyder doesn't really do either of these things exceptionally well.

Instead, he counts on common sense and logic to make things happen. That approach helped him succeed in his career, but unfortunately, relying on them just doesn't get it done in politics, and it has hampered him, and I think makes him a non-contender for a run.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    When Snyder first went into office, I thought he had the opportunity to be the next Reagan, where he could appeal to both parties, and thought that he had a good chance to run for President if things went well.

Where Reagan was able to appeal to members of both parties and voters who supported both parties, today the landscape seems to have changed. Republican party leaders and supporters don't back him because the Republican party these days is all about their ideology, and that's about it.

Democrat voters here in Michigan seem to look at the R next to Snyder's name and that's it for them. While Snyder has done a lot of 'Republican-like' things, he's also ventured into territory quite a number of times into things that Democrats would favor, but voters don't see that.

A large part of that plays into the last and final reason why he wouldn't win, and that's that he doesn't have the personality for it. He doesn't grandstand, and while most politicians do that way too much, there's a case that he does it too little.

The last two governors had their own style that, for better or worse, made things happen for them. Other politicians were afraid of Engler and he strategically used that to get what he wanted. Granholm played the great social game, being everybodys best friend in order to get what she wanted. Snyder doesn't really do either of these things exceptionally well.

Instead, he counts on common sense and logic to make things happen. That approach helped him succeed in his career, but unfortunately, relying on them just doesn't get it done in politics, and it has hampered him, and I think makes him a non-contender for a run.
    Excellent post. Not a word I disagree with.

You're right about Reagan. But allow me to add that nobody saw Reagan coming. Nobody was saying "watch this guy, he's transformational". In fact he seemed rather shallow. He was an actor. He's just playing the role. And we got blindsided. Like him or not, he transformed America.

Yes, politics seems foul today. But again I think just when we least expect it, we may get blindsided by someone who isn't so interested in fighting the battles of the past, but will find a way to look past those battles and again connect with the aspirations of Americans. Get ready to be blindsided. Get ready to be transformed.

I guess I have a somewhat different opinion of Saint Ronnie. I less than fondly recall the total abdication of responsibility of him and his administration as the AIDS crisis grew and grew and thousands died, including my best friend. Year after year and that evil old man could not even utter the term "AIDS" let alone do anything about it. I hope that disgusting, sorry excuse for a human being is rotting in Hell.

I have no doubt that most of the current GOP hopefuls would do the same as he did.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-23-15 at 11:59 PM.

...he's also ventured into territory quite a number of times into things that Democrats would favor, but voters don't see that.
    Like what? RTW? No. Gay marriage? No. RTA? That's not R or D, that's common sense. If anything he's a Rockfeller Republican that's cornered into caving into corporate and tea party Republican decisions. I truly believe he personally believes that gays should get married, but can't because that would create in-party chaos.

And Reagan was popular because he told the American public what they wanted to hear after Carter told the truth. That brainwashed them into believing his stupid voodoo economics which failed the American people.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Like what? RTW? No. Gay marriage? No. RTA? That's not R or D, that's common sense. If anything he's a Rockfeller Republican that's cornered into caving into corporate and tea party Republican decisions. I truly believe he personally believes that gays should get married, but can't because that would create in-party chaos.

And Reagan was popular because he told the American public what they wanted to hear after Carter told the truth. That brainwashed them into believing his stupid voodoo economics which failed the American people.

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself...

Um, let's see, how about first we start off with fixing Detroit's finances? You think any true-to-the-bones conservative Republican would have touched that? No it would have been the same answer that the city received for the last fifty year: Too bad, so sad, now go deal with it yourself. Snyder put into motion the ability to put aside a mayor who meant well but didn't have any idea as well as a City Council who was dead set against...well everything...and got things done.

If that's not enough, some of the other things that were kind of non-Republican-like include pushing for a Medicaid expansion, supporting a state-run health Exchange, stumping for the Proposal 1 tax increase.

Yes, he's done quite a few Republican-like things, I mean he IS in fact a Republican, but he does not follow the proverbial handbook that so many politicians seem to follow where they make their decisions solely based on what the party suggests they should do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast