Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Eeeps. This all got rather heated and ugly from many channels at once. First off, if there's any name calling to do, please let's keep it directed at a general group [[ie. "The Hipsters that Ate Detroit") and not at anyone personally. Also, I think there is a confusion between fine [[commercial, etc.) artists and "con artists". I don't know many "artists" who panhandle [[need I drudge up my experience in the lower classes to explain where I get that observation from). I am seeing more "oogle punks" [[the dirty rail-riding kids who lived drugged-up, unbathed, nihilist lifestyles walking mean dogs on leashes and patching their clothes with dental floss after tearing them up hopping trains and carrying heavy rail spikes on them) around the area, and that was a more of common sight in Madison or Boston. Those folks have no political platform, take and never give, and are generally looked down upon by the wider punk and activist populace at large.

I just had an interesting discussion with a former Cass Corridor resident/friend at the Majestic on New Year's night [[as she was visiting from out of town), and she pretty much spelled all I've felt for a while: about how revitalization has stepped aside for gentrification, and now, things are overcome by a throng of overpriced, trendy businesses and restaurants and a collection of affectatious, conformist status quo who have a complete disregard to the original and enduring residents of the area [[poor and as unattractive as they may seem to said status quo). They forget the struggling poor that many of us "freaks" in the Cass Corridor had no problem rubbing elbows with and living along side, back in the day.

So, they quietly implement actions that push, detain, and shut-out those "unwanted" types [[remember, the worst forms of genocide are done with a pen or a keystroke not with a gun). They would have no trouble turning any area into another gated "Sundance" community claiming to be liberal [[but has no problem hiring ex-marine hard-ons and cops to patrol their gates like it was some well-monitored Disneyland, while also making concessions, stock investment, and wheelings & dealings with major industries and corporations normally aligned with conservative interests-be they oil, be they military, etc.-in the background of high buildings that allow their operations to flourish in their little bubble).

I always hated being around religious folks who ignored direct prescriptives about "seeking peace and justice" and aiding the poor or defending the rights of the workers, while chasing after loud, hobbie-horse causes [[that have no direct prescriptive) like anti-abortionism [[as much as I don't care for abortion) that will never have a true resolve. It just makes one look pious, build up support, power, and funds, yet, no one involved would like to see a quick resolve to the matter if the processes involved are best serving them. I mean this to serve as a model analogy to draw towards...

Likewise, I always hated being around self-procalimed "activists" who pedastal themselves with rights for arts, marijuana-smoking, or other forms of hedonism for the affluent [[with their creative signs and effigies and slogans and stickers), while not seeing the priorities that need to be directed at helping the poor, ending war, quelling genocide, preserving worker's rights, defending our rights as citizens free from corporate encroachment [[pollution, etc.), police brutality, or government intrusion into our privacy or freedoms, and so on. So, how is the creative "hipster" benefiting us?

Now, I'm talking about "hep", attractive types who muster the admiration of others with their TEDX talks [[remember, the folks who say we shouldn't question Monsanto?) and amass big bike rallies and look like Adonises that are benefiting the city, when no one would ever suspect that they're the type of D-bags to ditch girls they humiliated in a relationship or shoot off guns in the Detroit night air every New Years Eve [[yeah, I have a few personalities in mind). They are technocratic, materialist jerks who set harsh standards for who is "in" and who is "out" [[and enforce these with the bullying manner of their aggressive cyber networking). All the while, they turn a blind eye to the very ugly elements [[cocaine, date rape drugs, human trafficking, etc) destroying Detroit that come from other equally "hep" personalities in society's underbelly [[be they in nightclubs, afterhours, or where ever) that they are "thick as thieves" with.

In short, art is nice, but it doesn't feed the masses. The real effective work never gets done. It's a constant maintaining. And yes, it is rolling up one's sleeves mowing and cleaning up desolate lots or feeding the very angry folks who may not like that they have to come to you for help. It's thankless, unpopular, unattractive work that doesn't earn one media coverage or an over-sized check. For a long and silent time, I've seen far too many of the wrong personalities getting prominence and admiration in Detroit, when I know far too much about their ugly backgrounds [[and have remained silent). We, in Detroit, do not need anymore like that, no matter how much they are movers and shakers.

Um-yeah, "hipsters". Chances are you are an defensive apologist for them or living a cushy non-Wayne County resident lifestyle if you doubt such a sad conformist stereotype [[not guided by race, creed, or religion, mind you) exists unchecked and deserves to be taken down a notch. It's a "creeping meatball" [[to crib a line from Jean Shepherd-one of the few guys from the "beat" scene I respect) of homogenous gizmo-gawkers in pea-coats I saw in Boston, and I feel a lot like Iktomi trying to warn folks it's coming this way.
    Last edited by G-DDT; April-12-15 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And what kind of "difference" are unemployed arteests going to make? Besides increasing the volume of spray paint sales and vandalizing storefronts and highway signs? Is Detroit so barren of sold out art recruitment is needed?
    Who are you to judge to begin with? Most "hipsters" as you like to refer to them do not partake in graffiti or street art. Before you over generalize I think you should you research the typical make-up of a graffiti artist.

And while we are on the subject, who cares who is coming to the bars and restaurants. Would you rather not see anyone coming to the bars/restaurants, etc? At the end of the day a dollar is a dollar. You are clearly no better than the folks in Indiana, I welcome outsiders into the city, especially those who are at least attempting to try to make Detroit fun and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    This is actually for real and I promote it. Who cares if hipsters come here? Do they bother you? Are they shoving their viewpoints down your throats? I welcome all who want to come here and keep making Detroit a better place to live. This is great promotion for a city trying to make a comeback. Why shun away people who actually want to make a difference?
    Easy Tiger! The video is amusing because of people they interviewed and their comments. Don't read into my post and suggest that you know what I'm thinking or feeling [[other than amused).

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Easy Tiger! The video is amusing because of people they interviewed and their comments. Don't read into my post and suggest that you know what I'm thinking or feeling [[other than amused).
    Yeah because you nailed it, that was my rationale for responding. And please don't tell me what to do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3