Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Warren south of the freeway is in pretty bad shape these days, and in definite severe decline. Most people moving in are poor African Americans from Detroit's East Side.

Sterling Heights/Warren south of Metro Pkwy. is also in decline, but not as severe. The poor schools and aging housing don't attract middle class households as much as in the past. Most people moving in are Chaldean, Arabs and Eastern European immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Warren south of the freeway is in pretty bad shape these days, and in definite severe decline. Most people moving in are poor African Americans from Detroit's East Side.

Sterling Heights/Warren south of Metro Pkwy. is also in decline, but not as severe. The poor schools and aging housing don't attract middle class households as much as in the past. Most people moving in are Chaldean, Arabs and Eastern European immigrants.
    This is simply not true. Warren south of 696 is not in severe decline. Some pockets around 8 Mile and Van Dyke are in decline. Warren has bottomed out on the population decline and new census estimates predict a slight increase in population. Housing prices are steadily rising in south Warren. Areas along 10 Mile are not in pretty bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
    This is simply not true. Warren south of 696 is not in severe decline. Some pockets around 8 Mile and Van Dyke are in decline. Warren has bottomed out on the population decline and new census estimates predict a slight increase in population. Housing prices are steadily rising in south Warren. Areas along 10 Mile are not in pretty bad shape.
    I assume you have real estate in the area, and I can understand you want to protect your property values. But that area is generally not on the radar for homeownership these days, for the usual obvious reasons [[bad schools, middle class flight, abandoned buildings, disinvestment, limited retail, safety, etc.).

Property values are rising for the same reason that property values are rising everywhere- the local economy is strong. When the economy booms, property values rise everywhere, whether the ghettos of Highland Park or the estates in Bloomfield. When the economy crashes, property values drop everywhere.

I assume you have real estate in the area, and I can understand you want to protect your property values. But that area is generally not on the radar for homeownership these days, for the usual obvious reasons [[bad schools, middle class flight, abandoned buildings, disinvestment, limited retail, safety, etc.).

Property values are rising for the same reason that property values are rising everywhere- the local economy is strong. When the economy booms, property values rise everywhere, whether the ghettos of Highland Park or the estates in Bloomfield. When the economy crashes, property values drop everywhere.
    Myself and my family live south of 696. I can safely say my neighborhood is not in bad shape and in severe decline. The usual obvious reasons you listed are not true. I'm glad you are able to paint the neighborhood I live in with such a broad brush.

I'd contest some of your facts. Where are all these abandoned buildings you speak of? I can only think of two empty businesses in my old hood, but I'd call them vacant, not abandoned. There is not a house abandonment issue in Warren.

There is sufficient retail in Warren, I never had an issue finding a place to shop.

Police and fire response in Warren is good.

As to middle class flight and poor schools, that certainly is happening. Warren Consolidated is the only school district I would consider sending my kids to, Fitzgerald, Center Line, Warren Woods, and East Detroit schools are all piss-poor.

Some of the people taking shots at Warren I assume are Detroiters. Really should look in the mirror before taking shots.
    And maybe you should assume some are from Bham and elsewhere, while you're at it.

I live in Warren Woods and have no problem sending my kids there. My wife went to Center Line and it was fine. I don't think the quality of teachers or education is any worse than any other district.

I'm also within walking distance of shopping. Also a short car drive from Walmart or Meijer. Could even take a bus to Walmart if needed.

There's not a vacant house in my neighborhood. Whenever one does become vacant [[Usually from the homeowner passing away) it is sold pretty quickly.

Crime is also pretty low. Looking at the FBI crime statistics, crime is on the decline in Warren so maybe that was the severe decline you were speaking of.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    And maybe you should assume some are from Bham and elsewhere, while you're at it.
    I assumed he was from Birmingham judging by his user name.

as post-degree educated professionals who are relocating back [[in the last 2 years) to the area among several of our friends that grew up in southern macomb county . we are relocating either downtown or off the woodward corridor [[if we have children) and enrolling them in private schools. our parents remain in roseville, warren, centerline in their well kept brick ranches that were over-improved before the recession and are now permanently underwater. They remain one of a handful holdouts on what were well kept areas 10 years ago. the recession fueled foreclosures and short sales on their blocks which have since turned over to young mostly broken or multi-generational families of various ethnicities. the owners are not improving, nor maintaining their properties to the degree of previous owners who have long leap frogged beyond hall road. the rest of my fellow millennials with or expecting to have families are moving to south lyon, brighton, plymouth for new construction homes and homogeneous school districts. these are observations and not assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    as post-degree educated professionals who are relocating back [[in the last 2 years) to the area among several of our friends that grew up in southern macomb county . we are relocating either downtown or off the woodward corridor [[if we have children) and enrolling them in private schools. our parents remain in roseville, warren, centerline in their well kept brick ranches that were over-improved before the recession and are now permanently underwater. They remain one of a handful holdouts on what were well kept areas 10 years ago. the recession fueled foreclosures and short sales on their blocks which have since turned over to young mostly broken or multi-generational families of various ethnicities. the owners are not improving, nor maintaining their properties to the degree of previous owners who have long leap frogged beyond hall road. the rest of my fellow millennials with or expecting to have families are moving to south lyon, brighton, plymouth for new construction homes and homogeneous school districts. these are observations and not assumptions.
    Interesting how I don't observe this in my neighborhood. I guess I live in the only one left in Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I live in north warren and find this to be fairly true of my n'hood. We have a handful of LONG term homeowners but as they pass or move away they are replaced with by people that do not take the same pride in their homes...yards are a mess, bushes overgrown, landscaping shot to heck, peeling garage paint etc. ...However I will say that I have never felt unsafe which is extremely important to me. I LOVE the awesome community center just 2 blocks from my home and the schools while uninspiring are decent enough and no better/worse than neighboring cities.

i am generally saddened by the decline of our inner ring suburbs as many are full of beautiful midcentury homes with mature landscaping and are of superior construction compared to the bloated vinyl-clad 2 stories eating up the exurban greenbelt, hence the desirability and draw to pleasant ridge, huntington woods, royal oak areas.

I'm just not seeing this great decline people are talking about. There's a lot of really nice areas in northeast Warren. Northwest Warren has some nice areas. The Mound and Van Dyke corridors can be iffy in pockets.

Houses being underwater isn't something that happened only in inner ring suburbs. I work with a guy who lives in Clarkston who had a home built in a subdivision and is underwater. On top of that, half the subdivision wasn't built so he lives next to a lot of vacant lots.

I'm just not seeing this great decline people are talking about. There's a lot of really nice areas in northeast Warren. Northwest Warren has some nice areas. The Mound and Van Dyke corridors can be iffy in pockets.

Houses being underwater isn't something that happened only in inner ring suburbs. I work with a guy who lives in Clarkston who had a home built in a subdivision and is underwater. On top of that, half the subdivision wasn't built so he lives next to a lot of vacant lots.
    I do not think the Mound Corridor is the least bit shady.
    I live in extreme NE warren off of Mound...its not in severe decline ..but its not on an upswing. The houses are dated in an old slightly shabby way[[I love old homes..but not worn out ones) The dynamics of the n'hood is changing and new peeps just don't seem to care about house upkeep. On trash day I routinely see original details stripped from homes, and see the new cheap gaudy furnishings going in. No one is outside and I rarely speak to any of my neighbors. Property values are up which is great! My main issue with Warren is its a bedroom community, no downtown, nothing fun, just a place to sleep. We spend most of our time outside the city. I would LOVE to see some development happen, and an expansion of the city center area. I have no complaints about Fouts and would vote for him again. I like his stance on Blight and think he's done a great job overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I do not think the Mound Corridor is the least bit shady.
    I live in extreme NE warren off of Mound...its not in severe decline ..but its not on an upswing. The houses are dated in an old slightly shabby way[[I love old homes..but not worn out ones) The dynamics of the n'hood is changing and new peeps just don't seem to care about house upkeep. On trash day I routinely see original details stripped from homes, and see the new cheap gaudy furnishings going in. No one is outside and I rarely speak to any of my neighbors. Property values are up which is great! My main issue with Warren is its a bedroom community, no downtown, nothing fun, just a place to sleep. We spend most of our time outside the city. I would LOVE to see some development happen, and an expansion of the city center area. I have no complaints about Fouts and would vote for him again. I like his stance on Blight and think he's done a great job overall.
    I meant iffy as in blight/upkeep of homes and not in terms of crime. I go to the Warren rec center a lot with my daughter and some of her cousins and friends. Some of them live in different cities yet we find ourselves using the Warren rec center more often. I wouldn't say the area off Mound is the best of north Warren. Those areas over by Hoover and heading towards Schoenherr are pretty nice. I live off of 11 Mile between Hoover and Schoenherr and it's a pretty quiet and well kept neighborhood. I could have went to Royal Oak or Ferndale or one of the trendy areas but I honestly didn't think the neighborhoods away from the downtown were that much better. I decided to pay less and get a similar neighborhood and just drive to downtown Royal Oak since I'm right off the expressway. Since my daughter was born, I don't find myself going out much anyways.

I don't mind Fouts either. He's a polarizing figure and in some ways reminds me of Coleman Young. His drama and national boycott of Walmart at least got Walmart off their ass and do something with Tech Plaza. You just have to know how to adjust the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    No one is outside and I rarely speak to any of my neighbors. My main issue with Warren is its a bedroom community, no downtown, nothing fun, just a place to sleep.
    Nailed it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2