Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Knudsen's Danish Bakery on McNichols just west of Southfield for old-style pastries.

Knudsen's is great!!!

The New Palace Bakery in Hamtramck has a good Russian Rye. Milano's danish are really good and I hate to admit it, but Panera has a really good cheese danish also.

I also vouch for Knudsen's particularly the sour cream donuts.

Sunnyside was closed-- and gone-- when I tried to buy paczki here his year.

I've had the Danish from Milano at Eastern Market and do not like them as well as those from Knudsen's Danish Bakery on Six Mile just west of the Southfield eway.

I really like the small sub-shaped rolls from Al Haramain in Hamtramck but I doubt they're quite as dense as you'd like. They are nothing like commercial burger/dog buns though.

Vince's on Eight Mile Road. Real Italian bread, baked by a Siciliano in his 80s. You will be glad you went.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Vince's on Eight Mile Road. Real Italian bread, baked by a Siciliano in his 80s. You will be glad you went.
    8 mile and what please

Everyone is making me hungry. My dogs get me up at 4 am most days to go out. A good friend says I spoil them. Not really, if I don't let them out they do their business in the sitting room.

I have fresh coffee brewing and am eying the canolli in the fridge which technically is my husbands [[I ate mine yesterday)

Will definitely look up the Hamtramck bakery as we get there fairly often. There was a bakery in Eastern market that would make bread for me on a preorder but they are gone now. I like Eastern Market week days as parking is easier. Loaded up yesterday on produce and my trip to Milanos. Corned beef sandwich was so so, should have gone to Zeffs.

Sounds a little stupid but Spartan brand frozen rolls are very good. One warning they take about 5 hours to rise.

Vince's Bakery and Party Store, 12800 E. 8 Mile west of Schoenherr on the Warren side. 313 839 4044. Always receives convincingly good reviews. As it is a party store and a bakery, you can pick up a GQ with your sandwich and picnic at Farwell Field while contemplating the might enclosed inside the East Light Guard Armory.

Second sumas' comment regarding the Spartan brand frozen rolls. Very inexpensive. They are about the size of "boulder" marbles. Several hours later they have risen to the size of tennis balls. Pop them in the oven tila beautiful golden brown, slather them with butter and you have one doughy yeasty treat to go with the entree and sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    8 mile and what please
    At the corner of Goulburn, specifically [[48205)...

Vince himself is no longer involved in the daily operations of the store. His sons are running the ship now.

Wow! I have tons of bread place to check out asap. I'm putting in an order for a sandwich from several of you!

I just had an "Italian" Sub at a Greek restaurant here in Space Town. They make their own bread and it is awesome. But wait! They made the sub on a commercial hoagie bun, big disappointment. Plus, they sure don't make 'em like they do in Detroit. What do you want on it, mustard or mayo? No pickled yellow pepper rings, either. She had to bring me Italian dressing and pickled Jalapenos on the side. But the bun was the biggest downer. I'm starting to miss Detroit style food.

Things you can't get right anywhere else: Almond boneless chicken, Coney dogs, Italian subs, pierogis, corned beef sandwiches, good Jewish rye bread, New York bagels [[well, you can probably get those in New York)...

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I just had an "Italian" Sub at a Greek restaurant here in Space Town. They make their own bread and it is awesome. But wait! They made the sub on a commercial hoagie bun, big disappointment. Plus, they sure don't make 'em like they do in Detroit. What do you want on it, mustard or mayo? No pickled yellow pepper rings, either. She had to bring me Italian dressing and pickled Jalapenos on the side. But the bun was the biggest downer. I'm starting to miss Detroit style food.

Things you can't get right anywhere else: Almond boneless chicken, Coney dogs, Italian subs, pierogis, corned beef sandwiches, good Jewish rye bread, New York bagels [[well, you can probably get those in New York)...
    No pepper rings on a sub? almost criminal to taste buds!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2