Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default House plant success and defeats--What are you growing?

Grew up with and had cats, dogs, fish etc. However, after last cat died of old-age a couple of years I decided to end pet ownership. But something green and growing makes a home more inviting so we went with plants. I want to branch out and grow Lavender and other healing, food herbs this summer outside. So far in the house:

- Three Sansevierias [[snake plants), two purchased at Home Depot [[great place for buying large plants cheap). One a gift. The big one variegated striped and is almost three feet tall.
    - A weary Christmas Cactus [[not sure what the official name is) and it is nearly dead. I just cannot grow those. I keep thinking to toss it but have not.
    - Two nearly indestructible Dracaenas, also known as the Office or Cane Plant. My one Dracana is the striped variety and is short not long cane-tall like most. Nothing hurts it not even two days when the furnace went out during the winter!
    - A couple of Pathos and Philodendrons [[Vine plant) and a heart leafed Caladium that grows fast yet almost bought the farm when furnace went out.
    - In water I have a few rootings, here and there. The most notable is a Split Leaf Philodendron. I hope to get it into dirt this spring!
    - The latest plant is a huge Staghorn Fern in a basket. Supposedly they don't need dirt, but yet it came in dirt [[purchased cheap at Miejers) I am leaving it be. Epiphytics can be picky. House is dry in the winter so my Staghorn seems water misting and its leaves dipped a bit in water. So it is my most high maintenance plant [[as most orchid related plants are IMO).

Anyone here had long-term success with a Staghorn Fern? What's growing in your house?
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-05-15 at 10:03 AM.