Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

At the relatively few professional football stadiums that still use grass, it's pretty common to have to replace large swathes of the turf [[especially between the hash marks) during the season, sometimes multiple times. University of Michigan reverted from grass back to artificial turf because they could never get a decent playing surface to stay for long, and again they only play 5-6 home games each year. So are the professional groundskeepers at these places so incompetent that they can't keep the grass intact for 8 games or less per season? Is there some magical grass surface that would allow year-round every day play without being totally destroyed by football and soccer cleats? Look, I'd love to see the grass field remain there, but for the proposed use it would be destroyed in a month or less and require constant maintenance.

Washington, Carolina and even the turf at the SUPER BOWL drew complaints.

I say put in real live grass, then have PAL start a landscaping maintenance program for inner city youth. One set of kids gets to play ball on real grass, another set learns a life skill that can get them work in the real world.

Here's an interesting take from Motor City Muckracker on a different option. It's not all grass, it's not all turf. It's mostly grass [[97%). I've never heard of it, but sounds like a solid compromise, if PAL decides to go this route.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2016/0...tificial-turf/

Seems nothing has happened yet since the groundbreaking six weeks ago, no construction and banners hung on the gates means you cannot see inside. No answers either from PAL CEO.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2016/0...own-residents/

The Tigers donated $300,000 to PAL at Monday nights game. During the broadcast they announced Cabrera and, I believe, some other Tigers made donations. They said it's the Tigers Foundation biggest single donation but it still doesn't seem like a lot all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Seems nothing has happened yet since the groundbreaking six weeks ago, no construction and banners hung on the gates means you cannot see inside. No answers either from PAL CEO.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2016/0...own-residents/
    Last weekend I drove by and there were guys playing baseball there with the banners partially ripped down. They have since been put back up

the grass and weeds are growing along with the blowing trash all around the outer fence - Thank you PAL - maybe some of those kids that can't play in the field yet could help maintain the looks of the place - they'll never compete with what the Navan Field crew did, but, at least the place would look like it isn't abandoned. Got the Corktown Home Tour coming up in a week or so, would be nice if the place looked like someone cared.

I haven't seen any activity in months. The position of the stands and field seem to be closer to Michigan Avenue than what was seen in the original renderings. There clearly is no room for any kind of residential or commercial development along Michigan Avenue. Anybody here anything about the lack of activity?

I might be out in left field [[pun intended) with this question, but if the fail jail site gets turned down by the county, could this old Tiger Stadium site be in play for a soccer stadium or does it have to be PAL baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I might be out in left field [[pun intended) with this question, but if the fail jail site gets turned down by the county, could this old Tiger Stadium site be in play for a soccer stadium or does it have to be PAL baseball?
    The PAL facility has been under construction for months now.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The PAL facility has been under construction for months now.
    My bad. I didn't know that this project was a go...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...ite/100846604/

starting in the $400's. idk if i would like my front door at grade opening onto trumbull, but these times they are a changin'

http://www.robertsonhomes.com/tiger-towns-at-the-corner

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4