Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

It's been a while since the Ransom Gillis house has been beautifully renovated. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the units are occupied yet? I have not heard or seen anything online about the Ransom Gillis house being occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    It's been a while since the Ransom Gillis house has been beautifully renovated. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the units are occupied yet? I have not heard or seen anything online about the Ransom Gillis house being occupied.
    Both units are occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Both units are occupied.
    thanks for the update! Good to hear!

October 4, 2018: Today's drive by shows the Ransom Gillis House at the heart of an explosion of new development.

Cater-corner stands a recently built apartment building. Help me out, there are so many being built in Brush Park, I have no idea what this is called.

Lowell, thanks for the update.

The apartment building you see is named for it's address: 124 Alfred. It is a senior apartment building [[and includes eight public housing units). It's one of the six apartment buildings that ringe the townhomes and carriage homes being developed as a part of City Modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Cater-corner stands a recently built apartment building. Help me out, there are so many being built in Brush Park, I have no idea what this is called.

The Flats at 124 Alfred

The Flats at 124 Alfred Street, designed by Hamilton Anderson Associates, add to the diverse mix of architecture, community and lifestyle choices in City Modern.
    With 54 for-lease units designed specifically for seniors ages 55 and up, including three walk-up units with front gardens
    as Dexlin mentioned, its one building that's part of 6 overall rental buildings in city modern "the flats" that collectively have 250+ rental apartments
    Last edited by hybridy; October-05-18 at 09:20 AM.

I think what Lowell was asking is, what would you call this monumental development explosion. I’d say, AMAZING

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I think what Lowell was asking is, what would you call this monumental development explosion. I’d say, AMAZING
    Not even close to monumental. Just to cheap rip-off of existing 100 year old neighborhoods in Detroit rapped up in very bad advertising.

Those flats look paper thin. You can hear everything you don't want to hear.

The whole thing looks misplaced. Either the old or the new don't belong there and we know the old does. Zoning should have played a part in design and density of the new. New can be made to look like old architecture, and there should be allowances for off street parking.

At least Gilbert is building , What residential have the Illitches finished or even started? We know they can build parking lots

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The whole thing looks misplaced. Either the old or the new don't belong there and we know the old does. Zoning should have played a part in design and density of the new. New can be made to look like old architecture, and there should be allowances for off street parking.
    Wasn't that the intent of the Crosswinds Woodward Place development? Many now argue that they're already outdated. Can you give me an example of how new can be well integrated and blend with the old?

Wasn't that the intent of the Crosswinds Woodward Place development? Many now argue that they're already outdated. Can you give me an example of how new can be well integrated and blend with the old?
    Yes.... the East Ferry Historic District.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...3!4d-83.062429

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Most healthy cities have a mix of old and new styles. It's not Levittown. Plus, we could put so many zoning restrictions that no one will want to build there.

i think these may have a shot, though time will tell

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ily/741441002/

Development in Detroit right now is like the super cooled water bottle truck. The whole bottle wants to freeze but it just needs a catalyst. For downtown I give much credit to the creation of campus martius for starting the environment. Compute are made the brave choice and the Gilbert team truly crystallized the rest of the bottle. Ditto with the brush park area except this time it took bedrock to restore a once great home back to greatness. Kudos to Nicole Curtis, who does awesome work in everything she does, for the restoration.

Brush park coming in was also a great windfall and vindication for the ferry few that believed, bought and renovated in the area that it was possible to have a amazing home in that neighborhood. The payoff for them should they ever sell their newfound treasure would be great. However those neighbors I’ll bet did it for the love of the home and will never sell unless they have good reason to do so.

Anyone [[with deep pockets) in the market for a unit?

https://www.compass.com/listing/205-...3697721814249/

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Anyone [[with deep pockets) in the market for a unit?

https://www.compass.com/listing/205-...3697721814249/
    The main page of the listing says 2815 sq ft while the description says “almost 4300.” A pretty major discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The main page of the listing says 2815 sq ft while the description says “almost 4300.” A pretty major discrepancy.
    I believe 4300 is for the whole property. 2815 is for Unit 1. Unit 2 must have about 1500 sq. ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I believe 4300 is for the whole property. 2815 is for Unit 1. Unit 2 must have about 1500 sq. ft.

They're rolling in the basement to get to the 4,300 total. The other unit isn't for sale, thus not counted.

Basement = 1,422 SF
    First = 1,411 SF
    Second = 1,404 SF

Name:  SF.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  12.0 KB

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6