Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Tripe is an unpleasant texture. I've tried it a few different ways and I'm not a fan. I've had decent chitterlings before but that was many moons ago. You may like tongue [[tacos at lapita's are a great way to try it) and jowl bacon. Actually jowl bacon is amazing and I see it more often at grocery stores just like I see pork belly on every menu all of a sudden.

As far as French I stopped by Angelina's to talk with the owner today and he said there's a French restaurant opening in the Whitney building. I didn't ask him to elaborate but it sounds promising.

Now if I could just find a good peking duck.
    Most likely ronaldj could direct you to good peking duck. Just realized I have never cooked duck either. My Dad liked to duck hunt and the last time Mom cooked it, it smelt like rotten fish. That batch went in the garbage. I do do loads of french cooking because I love sauces of all sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Most likely ronaldj could direct you to good peking duck. Just realized I have never cooked duck either. My Dad liked to duck hunt and the last time Mom cooked it, it smelt like rotten fish. That batch went in the garbage. I do do loads of french cooking because I love sauces of all sorts.
    Sorry didn't mean to imply my folks are still with me. Dad gone 23 yrs and Mom 3. Kind of amazed at grocery prices on what was considered crap food. Pigs feet, ox tail etc comand some interesting prices. Smoked turkey parts still cheap but don't tell the retailers.

Per Bizarre Foods' Andrew Zimmern, Leroy's Duck at Cafe D'Mongo is actually Peking Duck, and a really good rendition of it at that. Note though that it's not always offered. Sorry about the commercial, but here's a video clip explaining--
    http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/b...go-s-speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    . Kind of amazed at grocery prices on what was considered crap food. Pigs feet, ox tail etc comand some interesting prices. Smoked turkey parts still cheap but don't tell the retailers.
    I was going to make some split pea this winter and noticed how out of hand shanks, feet, bones and every other weird pork park was priced too. People are getting wise to how to use these cuts. I was happy to get half a ham bone for $5.

And ox tails practically cost as much as steaks now.

And thanks for the D'Mongo's tip, Llama. I had forgotten about that episode.

what is the Indian/South Asian cuisine locale for urban Detroit? Same for Arab/Chaldean cuisine.

Well there's only one tail per oxen, perhaps that explains it ...... try neck bones!

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    And ox tails practically cost as much as steaks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what is the Indian/South Asian cuisine locale for urban Detroit? Same for Arab/Chaldean cuisine.
    Do you mean in Detroit proper? Sadly there is no Indian worthy of that label, in my opinion. Hamtramck has some decent to good [[and similar-to-Indian) Bangaldeshi food though.

As for Arabic, Downtown has Cafe Al Karar [[pretty good and a good value), CK Mediterranean Grill on Monroe by the Compuware Building [[I don't like), Mike's Kabob Grille in the Chrysler Bldg [[haven't been, seems kinda pricey http://mikeskg.com/mikes-specialty/). Med Center has La Palma which I need to try, the new fast concept Falafill [[from Chicago!) which I found only okay and more $ than it needs to be. WSU campus area has Harmonie Garden [[pretty good and a nice Sunday brunch buffet), LaPita Fresh [[very sadly pales in comparison to its Dearborn cousin-- I just won't go any more) and the two Byblos locations which have their moments but suffer from some serious inconsistency [[due to cooks, I suspect).

What did I miss?

Of course there is Indian both north east and west, loads of middle eastern in Dearborn, and Chaldean mostly out Warren-Sterling Heights way [[though I never tried any I prefer to Dearborn's Muslim-Lebanese, ever).

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    Cafe Al Karar [[pretty good and a good value) ... Harmonie Garden [[pretty good and a nice Sunday brunch buffet) ...
    By "pretty good" for Al Karar and Harmonie Garden I did not mean I'd substitute either for my favorite [[Dearborn) Cedarland! They were included for their "in Detroit" characteristic and convenience when I'm in their area. Probably should also mention though that Cafe Al Karar is open 7-days [[7a-8p M-F, 8a-8p Sa-Su) and is IMO a great value for breakfast Downtown-- $1.99 special all day Saturday, perhaps $4 other days. Their proprietary Blazing Camel Hot Sauce [[not that hot!) adds a lot of flavor to their hash browns [[really american fries with a nice sweet pepper & onion mix) and basic eggs.

@Enduro...What do they do with rest of the ox???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2