Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Wow ok, life would also be so much better when it is bereft of snide comments against the Elks Club. My grandfather was a proud and active member until the day he died. He never spoke ill against the wealthy, was perfectly content with his middle class life, and worked hard and never complained. I for one am not trying to discredit or bash the DAC, but please don't bash the Elks Club, thank you.
    Please do cite an instance of anything snide that was said by me as it pertains to the Elks club.

Please do cite an instance of anything that was said by me to discredit the Elks club.

Please do cite an instance of anything that was said by me to disparage the Elks club.

Please do cite an instance of anything that was said by me against the "middle class". By the way, many DAC members would indeed be classified as "middle class" much as there are many Elks that would be classified as "upper class". But this is not about class warfare, despite how popular that is among the media and the 20 somethings these days.

Please do not be so hyper-sensitive. I did not put forth anything to disparage, discredit or malign the Elks club which, by the way, my favorite uncle has been a proud member of for over 60 years.

Shalom!
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; March-02-15 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Nobody is willing to say how much it costs to be a member.
    The cost of dues is not a matter for public discourse.

As the old saying goes, if you have to ask then you can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    The cost of dues is not a matter for public discourse.
    It was in 2009 when they were desperate for members
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...vote-on-merger

If you know then why did you ask about the cost of dues? And by the way, the information in that article is not entirely accurate.

Things are are very different now than in 2009. :-)

So it's not nice to be basic/average/respectable? I'm not saying everyone strives to be members of the DAC, own three homes, and afford a trip to Paris every year. I'm just saying Americans strive to live comfortably, in however they take that as being. I haven't moved any post, you seem to not understand the American dream.
    If you don't like anyone or anything that is above average, just say it. Save the righteous indignation and semantics. It is you that does not understand the American Dream [[or free will in general), but rather want everyone to magically be the same [[which is different than being equal).

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    If you don't like anyone or anything that is above average, just say it. Save the righteous indignation and semantics. It is you that does not understand the American Dream [[or free will in general), but rather want everyone to magically be the same [[which is different than being equal).
    But I'm not saying that at all. I have a very good grasp of the American dream considering my grandparents and parents built themselves that dream. I don't despise the wealthy either and while I believe in equality understand every society needs some social order as long as each are treated with fairness and respect.

Please do cite an instance of anything snide that was said by me as it pertains to the Elks club.

Please do cite an instance of anything that was said by me to discredit the Elks club.

Please do cite an instance of anything that was said by me to disparage the Elks club.

Please do cite an instance of anything that was said by me against the "middle class". By the way, many DAC members would indeed be classified as "middle class" much as there are many Elks that would be classified as "upper class". But this is not about class warfare, despite how popular that is among the media and the 20 somethings these days.

Please do not be so hyper-sensitive. I did not put forth anything to disparage, discredit or malign the Elks club which, by the way, my favorite uncle has been a proud member of for over 60 years.

Shalom!
    Since when is class warfare popular amongst 20 somethings? We're all not Occupy sympathizers thank you.

I would like clarification as to why you think "chip on the shoulder", left out people need to join the Elks club.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; March-02-15 at 09:10 PM.

Have to be honest, nobody joins Forest Lake because its a good track. You can do way better if that's a priority.

Since when is class warfare popular amongst 20 somethings? We're all not Occupy sympathizers thank you.

I would like clarification as to why you think "chip on the shoulder", left out people need to join the Elks club.
    Oy Vey! It has nothing to do with the Elks club. I thought I made that very clear in an earlier post. You should pay more attention. You're grasping at straws. Feh!
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; March-02-15 at 10:42 PM.

I hear you sy, I don't read you disparaging the Elks membership or anyone in your post. I also want to agree on what you said about "the working class". Well done. It is one of those expressions that are persistently false and annoying to me.

Oy Vey! It has nothing to do with the Elks club. I thought I made that very clear in an earlier post. You should pay more attention. You're grasping at straws. Feh!

"Now, if your definition of "working class" is people with a chip on their shoulder who always feel left out and picked upon, as you seem to want to define it, then perhaps your brand of "working class" folks would feel more comfortable joining the local Elk's club."

Then clarify this please. I don't want to be grasping at straws, I just want to know what you meant.

I don't see how that type of working class would be comfortable at the local Elks Club because that's not what the Elks club is about.

Since we're all pretty much working classes, I believe the people using "working class" mean to say the working poor and the lower middle class. And therefore DAC is not affordable to them nor is it meant to be.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; March-03-15 at 10:06 AM.

But this is not about class warfare, despite how popular that is among the media and the 20 somethings these days.
    As long as we are getting things clarified, what do you mean by "class warfare"?

I'll bet Fieger could care less about being accepted or not. He's probably members of other private clubs. If you're thinking his feelings got hurt I'm sure you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'll bet Fieger could care less about being accepted or not. He's probably members of other private clubs. If you're thinking his feelings got hurt I'm sure you're wrong.
    So running to the paper to defame the members that denied him membership as a bunch of racist, sexist antisemites is an act of a man who's above all that stuff? lolz

You're partially right.. I doubt his "feelings" were hurt. I'm certain he thought he was entitled to membership and simply can not fathom why people wouldn't want to socialize with him.

Most people would take that type of rejection as a wake up call about how they treat others and what other's perceptions of them are...... narcissists like Fieger lash out and blame everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    So running to the paper to defame the members that denied him membership as a bunch of racist, sexist antisemites is an act of a man who's above all that stuff? lolz

You're partially right.. I doubt his "feelings" were hurt. I'm certain he thought he was entitled to membership and simply can not fathom why people wouldn't want to socialize with him.

Most people would take that type of rejection as a wake up call about how they treat others and what other's perceptions of them are...... narcissists like Fieger lash out and blame everyone else.
    It sounds like you actually believe he cares that he was denied membership. Im sure he knew he wouldn't get in. He probably applied just so he could get denied then go to the press to speak about how horrible that place is.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    It's obvious from that Beverly Hills wannabe house of his that club members don't want him to have any chance of ever getting anywhere near the club's architecture and design committee. They owe that much to Albert Kahn.
    Amen, Mike. His architect & contractor must have been descendants of PT Barnum. How could anyone with Feiger's wealth throw it away on such a gaudy abomination? The house would indeed move fast in Beverly Hills real estate---for the property, that is. The house? an unqualified "tear down".

Actually I enjoyed looking at Mr. Fieger's house. Thank you for posting the pics.
    What looks like a plastic pink flamingo at first is actually a fleur-de-lis, I think.
    These are very pretty wayward tax dollars in any case.

I frankly don't get the "anti-semitism" thing. His dad was Jewish ethnically, but culturally, Fieger has never identified as Jewish [[at least as far back as I can remember), his mom was not, he was raised Unitarian, and unless I missed something, he had his children baptized Catholic at Holy Name [[maybe at Keenie's instigation, but that still says something). And Fieger has gone on record comparing some rabbis to Nazis.

I doubt it is religion or culture that kept him out. I'm sure it's that he's personally teed off many at the DAC. He's a polarizing figure, and many people there are judges and attorneys.

If he wants to call on historic treatment of various people in private clubs, there are legitimate issues. But there were also sea changes in the way those places were run as the old white dudes stopped bringing in enough money to keep the lights on. Even so, Fieger is a bit behind the times. Mary Kramer was elected in the 1990s and Ken Katz was president just a couple of years ago. I'm sure that if the DAC were so inclined, it could counter Fieger by coughing up the names of quite a few male WASPs who haven't made the grade. But that's not the way places like that present themselves; to comment would be unprofessional. If the veto was the result of a secret ballot, they probably don't even know who did it.

I got a mild chuckle out of Bham1982's comments. The failure of the DAC must be evidenced by a membership close to the cap; bazillions of dollars that are being spent over there on restorations, entrances, rooftop cigar bars, and outdoor pavilions [[look at the construction traffic sometime); and the fact that they have - bar none - the most beautiful meeting facilities in the state. Apparently also a top flight art collection.

As to the overall value proposition? Although it's cheaper than many golf clubs, it would be hellishly expensive if you used it only for a gym or a garage. But people use it for different things. Some use it to host meetings; some have weddings there; some use it to house out-of-town guests [[it has a hotel facility); some hit the tailgate before Tigers games; some go to programs there; and some have dinner before the opera or drinks after work [[it would rate quite well as a standalone restaurant). If you work downtown, even if you are not a member, you can end up there for a lot of reasons. The other thing with all of the old-time clubs is that they have reciprocal rights at clubs [[both social and athletic) in other places. If you are a businessperson, it's probably a no-brainer. On the other end of the scale, for an entry-level white-collar worker, it might require some budget rearrangement.

On the overall relevance, I would not be surprised if as the downtown population expands, another club opens [[or reopens). I don't think it will be long before the next big thing will be a place that has a good restaurant and bar, is not overcrowded and loud, and takes steps to keep it that way.

HB
    Last edited by Huggybear; March-04-15 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Clarification

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3