Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't see why financial aid is "very likely" or why this is even relevant. Based on what?

Their website claims 30% of total student body receives some sort of assistance, BTW. And they claim it's strictly based on "need". What evidence do you have that Worthy is a low income household?

I don't even get why people care where she sends her kids. Probably most kids in Cranbrook aren't from the immediate area. If you live around there, the local publics offer equal outcomes, so there's little academic need.
    Again, your private school commentary isn't accurate.

1. Birmingham-Bloomfield public schools don't offer "equal outcomes" to schools such as Cranbrook. I'm not sure why you keep insisting on that point, among others on this topic.

2. You've previously said that most Cranbrook students come from the immediate area, so which one is it [[in your opinion)?

3. 30 to 33% [[depending on the year) of Cranbrook students receive financial aid, which is 1/3, BTW.

4. Need-based and low income are two entirely different things. There are families making $100k+ that receive financial aid. $30-40k is a big portion of $100k, especially with mulitple kids and other bills.

MAcc is a clown who comes here for one reason only and that is to stir shit up. just ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    You guys took the troll bait hook, line and sinker...
    Yes, I know, but I just can't stand it when they get all uppity and out of their place.

Hopefully neither kid gets involved in a rap battle. Don't want your educational choices to be used against you.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Takes a lot of gall to continue wealthy pursuits when you don't pay your bills. If someone owed you money would you like to see them ordering lobster?
    So your problem with Kym Worthy is that she spent money on educating her child that she could have given to Countrywide Financial instead?

Perhaps you're a recent arrival from outer space, but we Earthlings are aware that Countrywide was a brazenly criminal entity whose entire business model consisted of deliberately cramming time bombs into the economy and then taking bets on when they would explode. If there was any justice in the world, their entire executive staff would be in prison right now.

If Kym Worthy had taken this money and set it on fire, I'd still think that was a better use for it than giving it to fucking Countrywide. But instead of setting it on fire, she used it to educate her daughter. And you expect me to be mad? Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    So your problem with Kym Worthy is that she spent money on educating her child that she could have given to Countrywide Financial instead?

Perhaps you're a recent arrival from outer space, but we Earthlings are aware that Countrywide was a brazenly criminal entity whose entire business model consisted of deliberately cramming time bombs into the economy and then taking bets on when they would explode. If there was any justice in the world, their entire executive staff would be in prison right now.

If Kym Worthy had taken this money and set it on fire, I'd still think that was a better use for it than giving it to fucking Countrywide. But instead of setting it on fire, she used it to educate her daughter. And you expect me to be mad? Christ.
    But she figure skates! Like a rich white girl! And she goes to school in Oakland County!! Who the hell does her no account momma think she is...
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-26-15 at 08:42 PM.

a cranbook-type school needs to be created in Detroit. Take a big swath of abandoned land and build it from there.

I wonder if it would affect MAcc's enmity to know that Anastasia Worthy was adopted by her mother as an infant suffering from sickle cell, and has overcome several health crises while working hard enough at figure skating to be competing at a championship level.

No, probably not. She still goes to school at Cranbrook and figure skates, instead of going to King and playing basketball like MAcc knows she should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    a cranbook-type school needs to be created in Detroit. Take a big swath of abandoned land and build it from there.
    I'm not sure there are enough people with that type of wealth per-capita in Detroit proper to support that type of school right now.

That's why so many of the Catholic Schools have closed [[or in the case of DeLaSalle High School, moved to the suburbs) over the last 35 years.

We still have Loyala High School and U of D Jesuit, but of course they're all-boys schools and have already been long established.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I wonder if it would affect MAcc's enmity to know that Anastasia Worthy was adopted by her mother as an infant suffering from sickle cell, and has overcome several health crises while working hard enough at figure skating to be competing at a championship level.

No, probably not. She still goes to school at Cranbrook and figure skates, instead of going to King and playing basketball like MAcc knows she should be.
    School of choice for parents and kids is awesome. Just don't denigrate King, great school. All kids deserve the best available.

Not exactly the same programs, but if you are talking about an art and design centered art school there exists a charter in Detroit:

Henry Ford Academy: School for Creative Studies

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-27-15 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    School of choice for parents and kids is awesome. Just don't denigrate King, great school. All kids deserve the best available.
    Didn't mean to denigrate anything [[well, other than some other poster's ludicrous assumptions). I have very close friends who went to King, and know several people whose children and grandchildren recently went there or currently go there. I remember the school way back to its days as the new Eastern High. I'm aware of how things have evolved and improved there.

Detroit Academy for Arts and Science on Jeff is an excellent school. Chrysler Elementary is fantastic

Didn't mean to denigrate anything [[well, other than some other poster's ludicrous assumptions). I have very close friends who went to King, and know several people whose children and grandchildren recently went there or currently go there. I remember the school way back to its days as the new Eastern High. I'm aware of how things have evolved and improved there.
    I know where you were going with that, ludicrous is absolutely right. Curious, how is the rating for East English Academy that replaced Finney?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Curious, how is the rating for East English Academy that replaced Finney?
    That I know much less about. All I know is that my best friend's daughter went to Finney back in the early '90s and it was clear then that that cobbled together school [[it was an expanded Jr. High school) had aged very poorly and needed to be replaced.

I do not blame her

That I know much less about. All I know is that my best friend's daughter went to Finney back in the early '90s and it was clear then that that cobbled together school [[it was an expanded Jr. High school) had aged very poorly and needed to be replaced.
    Definitely was cobbled together, an old elementary school, turned in a high school then added to it a Jr high. Graduated, in 71 at 16. I doubled classes took summer school, anything to get out of there. Went from there to WSU.

I really hope with the new campus our area teens get the excellent education they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Romney grew up a couple of miles from CK and his dad was governor. We're talking about Wayne County politicians driving their kids a half hour north to be educated at an Oakland County prep school.
    Detroit parents who want a private prep school education for their kids have to look outside the city. Most of the private schools in Detroit closed in the 1990s and 2000s; their buildings were leased out to charter schools. U of D Jesuit only accepts boys. Friends, the Waldorf School, and the few remaining Catholic schools only go through grade 8, if that.

I don't know if Kym Worthy's daughter trains at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, but if she does then it makes sense to send her to Cranbrook. There are several other rinks in the area, but the DSC is where you go if your kid is skating at a serious level.

I know little about Cranbrook and figure skating. Can someone restate the issue here? Is is simply that Worthy isn't sending her kid to a Wayne County school? Really? Why is that a concern?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I know little about Cranbrook and figure skating. Can someone restate the issue here? Is is simply that Worthy isn't sending her kid to a Wayne County school? Really? Why is that a concern?
    I can't figure out the issue either. Yes. Yes really. It really isn't a concern for most people except for those who like to stir the pot and troll.

Debra Harry, of Blondie fame, turns 70 years old this week.

yup. That sexy blonde with the red lipstick is 70 years old.

now, you may ask what does that bit of depressing news have to do with Kim Worthy?

it doesn't.

However, it is a more interesting fact than anything written on thiis non-Worthy subject.

What is depressing about turning 70?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    I think he means how fast time has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    Please, allow me to retort:

Turning 70 is not nearly as depressing as being so sensitive as to find offense where there is none.

Moreover, I fear you may have missed the intent of the Blondie reference by the distraction faction that seemingly swirls unabated in the forever fitful ruminations of the hyper-sensitive. What a piteous plight to be required - through private compunction - to sift and sniff through posts in breathless agitation all the while joyous when a morsel of offense can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Please, allow me to retort:

Turning 70 is not nearly as depressing as being so sensitive as to find offense where there is none.

Moreover, I fear you may have missed the intent of the Blondie reference by the distraction faction that seemingly swirls unabated in the forever fitful ruminations of the hyper-sensitive. What a piteous plight to be required - through private compunction - to sift and sniff through posts in breathless agitation all the while joyous when a morsel of offense can be found.
    Yadda..Yadda..Yadda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast