Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Another one of Detroit's big problems solved. So that leaves what, 4 more?
    Like maybe the formatting of this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View PostLet's not forget the bills to DC, Lansing and Detroit the guy now owes.

Yup, really helped him out.Even if taxes take a full 50%, the man is still getting a new [[2014) car and $65,000 that he didn't have before. I think most would agree that meets the "help" definition.
    I know it would improve my standard of living
    I don't see how he'll owe taxes... these are gifts to him. The cash is an aggregate of a ton of small gifts. They aren't income or winnings of a contest. The person who makes the gift files the gift tax return, if necessary, and pays any tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Nice response, looks like you fired another "blank" when formulating this post.
    Oh, don't be confused. Adults who live in the real world get it.

Keep crying about a business & owners you don't understand based on ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

I think what's bothers me is the over-zealous altruism. That we can give a complete stranger money, but god forbid we tax ourselves to build a better infrastructure for everyone.
    Well stated! When people write about the inefficiencies of sprawl development, this is exactly what they mean. How many Robertsons have already been eliminated from the regional economy on account of falr-flung automobile-dependent development and shitty public transportation? Given the way the numbers look in Lansing, the middle-class is on its way to joining their fate. If that happens, the entire region--and state--will collapse under the weight of the maintenance costs of sprawl alone.

The region simply can't function if only the wealthy are allowed to participate in the economy. I applaud Mr. Robertson for his gumption/borderline insanity. But bandaging one person's situation doesn't begin to address deeply-ingrained systemic deficiencies.

If crowdsourced funding existed in 1955, Rosa Parks would have been gifted funds to buy a car to obviate the need to ride the segregated Montgomery bus system, and the people of Montgomery would have given themselves self-congratulatory pats on the back and gone about their business.

Its fair to say that everything about this story is bat shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Oh, don't be confused. Adults who live in the real world get it.

Keep crying about a business & owners you don't understand based on ignorance.
    Defend yourself you coward. Lets hear about these great business principles you speak of, tell me what I don't understand. I'm waiting for you to start spewing about how you are some successful businessman, have lots of fancy possessions, etc... You are so predictable...
    Last edited by Dbest; February-03-15 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I see the thread has degenerated into personal attacks and I'll likely get a couple over my post... oh well, have at it.

I'll agree and bring this back from my earlier post I think this whole go fund me donation thing is crazy as hell, don't the people donating bother to look at the amount raised so far? I saw in one early pic it showed that they were trying to raise $25,000 and it was past $50,000 so now people are still sending money??? Maybe "generous" and common sense don't go together. It seems to have have gone from "James needs a car" to a house or "retirement".

The craziest part is that these "donors" still feel that it makes sense to give one man who undoubtedly has had a rough way to go in life, a quarter or a half million dollars [[up to $217,000 and rapidly growing as I post) to "help him with whatever he needs in life". This is crazy as hell... I wonder wow many of the 8000+ "inspired" donors would consider making an equivalent donation to Focus Hope, a local non profit that offers job and work skills training [[plus lots of other community benefits) for many Detroit residents.

It's easy to pass some money to one person and pat yourself on the back, but it only takes a little bit more effort to find reputable, highly rated organizations that will provide great services to many more people [[I like the Charity Navigator sites motto, "your guide to intelligent giving").

It's sort of the "give a man a fish... or teach many to fish" scenario. I wonder if Evan Leedy would consider putting it on the site and asking all donors to look into this option? I know we have several local non profits that could really put a quarter to a half million dollars to good use around the City. Or, all the "feel good" donors can just go on and make James into a millionaire...
    Last edited by Vic01; February-03-15 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

You know what?

I tried to mull this over, spinning this feel good story in my dumb canucky head, and somehow it just doesn't sound like something Danny Glover would want to play. I wish the guy luck, and I just hope he doesn't get hit by a bus crossing the road on his last walk to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I know we have several local non profits that could really put a quarter to a half million dollars to good use around the City. Or, all the "feel good" donors can just go on and make James into a millionaire...
    Agreed, a very interesting case of mob mentality we have here.

He would be stupid to keep on working. These people are making him rich.

Mr. Robertson has made more [[In just 2 days) with this Gofundme campaign than he did working for over a decade at his Auburn Hills factory job.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    You know these sort of jobs get thousands of applications a day right? Jobs are not plentiful. Just because he applies to jobs that are closer to him, does not guarantee the job. Obviously if it were just that easy, Detroit's unemployment rate wouldn't be up to 15%.
    +100 Jobs are very hard to find, especially when the applicant is in their mid-50's without a degree. Age discrimination is alive and well.... once someone looks over the application, they proceed to ball it up and throw it in the trash can.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-03-15 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Mr. Robertson has made more [[In just 2 days) with this Gofundme campaign than he did working for over a decade at his Auburn Hills factory job.
    I was about to call BS on you, but then I did the math... Damn, and to think that some people make less than he does.

I hope public sentiment in favor of comprehensive mass transit reform actually manifests this year. Then again, this is Southeast Michigan, so we might as well forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I was about to call BS on you, but then I did the math... Damn, and to think that some people make less than he does.
    $10.50 x 2,080 hours/year straight time x 10 years = $208,000 -- not counting benefits, overtime, bonuses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yeah, quite shocking isn't it? And that's assuming he's made $10.55 per hour since he started [[Doubtful), has always received 40 hours per week [[Also doubtful) and received paid vacation days. Most likely his pay for those 10 years is far lower than 230K.

this was put on the account a few hours ago by the wayne state student [[evan?) who started it.

"Would just like to clarify something in regard to my last update. James has asked for help with handling these donations. Setting up a committee/board was James' idea."

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I posted this to my Facebook. Something still bothers me about this story, so I wrote this thinking it would be cathartic. Please critique, please be civil...

I think what's bothers me is the over-zealous altruism. That we can give a complete stranger money, but god forbid we tax ourselves to build a better infrastructure for everyone.
    Good post, I see nothing to critique. I would also rather see change that helps everybody instead of just one guy. I guess some people need to have a face put on the "deserving needy" before they donate. They are having an emotional reaction rather than putting thought in to how we could change the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Good post, I see nothing to critique. I would also rather see change that helps everybody instead of just one guy. I guess some people need to have a face put on the "deserving needy" before they donate. They are having an emotional reaction rather than putting thought in to how we could change the community.
    Also donations are one time. Taxes are forever [[until they change them). Also, most donations are assumed to go to what cause they're stated for whereas tax money can be split to fund many different things. It's all psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Also donations are one time. Taxes are forever [[until they change them). Also, most donations are assumed to go to what cause they're stated for whereas tax money can be split to fund many different things. It's all psychology.
    Exactly... and these donations are many, from all over the county...it seems many here are under the misapprehension this is totally local, and most in the small range. Dropping 10 bucks in a gofundme campaign for some guy is a hellofalot different than being all excited to jack up a millage for a George Cushingberry or Ficano crony to mismanage.
    Last edited by bailey; February-04-15 at 10:44 AM.

ddot do, but since SMART cant go into Detroit after 6 pm , they use to, I don not know why Mayor Duggan doesnt let SMART come back, he use to run SMART, also Oakland county shouldd stop the city opt out thing, Macomb county its all the cities and towns or nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Damn, that's some hardcore dedication. Is there really no bus running down Woodward south of 8 Mile?

Yes DDot runs up to 8 mile, SMART cannot go into Detroit after 6 pm. they use to so I don not know why Mayor Duggan, dosent let them come back all day, and this nonsence of cities opting out have to stop, In Macomb County its all or nothing[[rochester had bus service yrs ago on Rochester Rd to Oakland Mall)
    we will never be a great city unless we get better transit,
    Last edited by scooter; February-04-15 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Yes DDot runs up to 8 mile, SMART cannot go into Detroit after 6 pm. they use to so I don not know why Mayor Duggan, dosent let them come back all day, and this nonsence of cities opting out have to stop, In Macomb County its all or nothing[[rochester had bus service yrs ago on Rochester Rd to Oakland Mall)
    we will never be a great city unless we get better transit,
    Mayor Duggan would probably love to have full time SMART service in the city restored. It was eliminated to only peak time service due to budget issues.

What would be nice would be a route from ROTC in Royal Oak to downtown Rochester and extending the 756 Pontiac-Perry-Opdyke into downtown Rochester via Walton/University. Re-name it the Pontiac-Rochester.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; February-04-15 at 10:32 AM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast