Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

^^^ Yep, alot of folks are walking about dehydrated. The more crap you eat, the more it needs to be flushed. Hopefully with his money he will find more time to consume water but no one can make you do that. It's about self motivation.

Great another example of news distortion! Interesting what a little math will do. I refer to my first points: the man should disappear, ditching the media attention, portion the funds to last, or all the money will be gone and he'll be back on the buss within 36 - 48 months or less.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The title's wrong.

A 7 mile walk from the SMART bus stop at Somerset Collections to Rochester Hills and a 5 mile walk from the SMART bus stop at the Statefair ground to his home doesn't equate to him walking 21 miles, at least not in this universe...

[[7+5 = 12, not 21).

Yep. That's why I do four. That works for me. No water works for no one... not long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    There is no hard and fast rule. I saw a special on CBC one time that said that everyone is different and you don't need 8 glasses of water a day.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The title's wrong.

A 7 mile walk from the SMART bus stop at Somerset Collections to Rochester Hills and a 5 mile walk from the SMART bus stop at the Statefair ground to his home doesn't equate to him walking 21 miles, at least not in this universe...

[[7+5 = 12, not 21).
    Dude. I've thrown a life preserver thinking you would get the hint but it's obvious I've run into someone who has the mental capacity of James Robertson.

does he take a magic flying rug on the way home? Are you not going to walk back home from your shift and add another 7 miles?

Somerset mall to Rochester is 7 miles. Then when he leaves and his magic carpet isn't working he had to walk 7 miles again back to Somerset. That is 14 miles. Then walks from the State fair to his house. If you can't figure this out that every fucking article, this thread, and every tv report spells this out then you are one hopeless person. I'm done with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Great another example of news distortion! Interesting what a little math will do. I refer to my first points: the man should disappear, ditching the media attention, portion the funds to last, or all the money will be gone and he'll be back on the buss within 36 - 48 months or less.
    HaHa. The misinformation from the math professor is now rubbing off on others who can't do basic math.

Opps! Thank you for being gentle with me. I guess I best whip out my own calculator! We - eh, I stand corrected......

Which is why I am standing on my points of what should he might consider NOW! This 'side' of receiving the funds, withstanding the miles walked [[previously)!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-15-15 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I'm doubt if any "MD/nutritionist/expert/genius" would include the water in a pepsi, big mac, and fries as part of a healthy diet. They would likely state that the low quality diet many consume needs even more water to flush the toxins out...
    I don't see a whole lot of people guzzling down six to eight glasses of water every day. I suppose I see some that seem to drink water constantly. People seem to be living long lives these days, no matter how much water they consume. Maybe those toxins aren't as numerous as you think they are.

Hah, I hear that. If I had to stop and get 'eight' glasses of water a day it WOULD NEVER happen. Aside from a glass I may drink in the am or after a meal etc. I measure my three or four from drinking, and sipping from a pre-measured jug. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I'm done with you.
    Well boo fucking hoo!!! You've hurt my poor little and my damn world is now crumbling around me!!!

Fortunately, I have better things to do than hurl insults at other people like you and instead I prefer to debate the basic facts that you're failing to see [[or maybe you're uncapable of seeing, not sure).

First off, according to the Free Press article in the OP, the total distance between his home and his job in Rochester Hills is 23 miles. Factoring in that he travels the bus partway [[11-12 miles), there's no way possible that he could walk an additional 21 miles to reach his job a his total travel distance would be greater than the 23 miles the Free Press reported.

Second, assuming they were counting the round trip miles he walks, 7+7 [[round trip from the bus stop to his job) =14 miles and 5+5 [[round trip from bus stop to his home) = 10 miles. Yet, 14 + 10 last I checked doesn't equal 21 miles...

So either the story was as I understood before [[the total miles he travels includes the bus ride one way) or your math and the free press' math is off...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah, I hear that. If I had to stop and get 'eight' glasses of water a day it WOULD NEVER happen. Aside from a glass I may drink in the am or after a meal etc. I measure my three or four from drinking, and sipping from a pre-measured jug. Problem solved.
    I fill my reusable 12 oz bottle at least 5 times a day without even noticing. I do a lot of walking in the plant and feel like shit if I don't stay hydrated. But everyone's different. By all means don't drink any if you don't want to lol

Factory worker with 21-mile commute who was given $350,000 in donations is in hiding because of death threats over windfall

'People were actually asking him for money,' 2nd Deputy Chief June West told Detroit Free Press.

Robertson decision was fueled by several recent examples of people in Detroit being victimized after coming into money.

A man was charged last week in connection with the killing of an 86-year-old man who disappeared in December, three days after winning a $20,000 lottery game.

'He knew about that story, and I also know about an incident in the 1st Precinct where a gentleman was killed after he allegedly won some money,' said Capt. Aric Tosqui.

Robertson told the DFP that he was relieved to be out of the rooming house and away from his landlady and so-called girlfriend Tanya Fox, 60.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3SHy5ATf3

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rime/23197645/

Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-15 at 08:43 AM.

This is old news from a week or two ago... barely even news anymore. Has something new happened?

^^^ Actually, the dailymail.co.uk article is from this Tuesday the 17 -- updated the 18th. The freep link granted came out on the 11th.

Default Detroit's hard-walkin' worker goes to school

Detroit's hard-walkin' worker goes to school
    Of all the unexpected largesse and attention he's gained since becoming Detroit's famed walking commuter, James Robertson said the best of all was time spent with a class of second-graders.

Amid a torrent of e-mails, letters stuffed with checks and calls from global media that flooded the Free Press in search of Detroit's famous walking commuter, one envelope bulged with notes that riveted the eyes of James Robertson.

It was a stack of notes from second-graders — in big-block printing, with cute misspellings like "complane" for complain and "lazzy" for lazy. Some invited him to their school, others drew colorful pictures or maps charting his 21-mile trek from his Detroit home to his job in Rochester Hills. Some simply thanked him for the lessons his story taught them.

"You know what? — I would really like to pay these kids a surprise visit," Robertson said. On Wednesday, at Troy's Barnard Elementary School, he got his wish.

Striding into Mrs. Siegel's classroom, with the kids seated on the floor and none the wiser, Principal Melanie Morey announced: "Boys and girls, the way that you write has really touched someone's heart." Next, their teacher Suzanne Siegel chimed in: "Look who's here – superhero!"....

Siegel lifted overhead a book the children had been reading as part of their James Robertson curriculum, a book called "Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed," about a little girl who must face "dark mountains" of trial and tribulation, she said.

"Mr. Robertson, what are your dark mountains?" Siegel asked.

Robertson looked up at her, then back at the kids: "When I get off work at night, it's very dark. And there's certain people out there that might not be friendly," he said, with kids leaning in, fixating on every word. "But you've just got to keep going. ... Some days I take really deep breaths. And then I just go out and do it. You all know the words 'I can,' right?" Two dozen little heads nodded.

"Just say, I can," he added.

"See children," Siegel exclaimed. "You have to keep going."

Robertson's themes — perseverance, punctuality, collegiality, following directions and respecting one's elders — at times sounded like a throw-back to generations ago, or even to a disciplinarian's cant. Except for his words appeared to come with an unmistakeable ring of sincerity in his voice, borne of hard experience....

And then their teacher summed up the chief lesson, in a phrase that soon could appear on plastic bracelets, at least at Barnard Elementary:

"Boys and girls, from now on, if I hear someone didn't do their homework, you know what I'm going to say? I'm going to say, 'What would Mr. Robertson do?'"
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-21-15 at 11:06 PM.

Robertson's themes — perseverance, punctuality, collegiality, following directions and respecting one's elders — at times sounded like a throw-back to generations ago, or even to a disciplinarian's cant. Except for his words appeared to come with an unmistakeable ring of sincerity in his voice, borne of hard experience....

And then their teacher summed up the chief lesson, in a phrase that soon could appear on plastic bracelets, at least at Barnard Elementary:

"Boys and girls, from now on, if I hear someone didn't do their homework, you know what I'm going to say? I'm going to say, 'What would Mr. Robertson do?'"
    Cheese and Rice!!

That's my philosophy!

Press on Regardless, Endeavor to persevere.

As I age another has been added,

You got to keep moving.
    No need to make it easy on yourself.
    It won't help you in the long run.

Personal goal?

Need little, want less, love more.

Cheese and Rice!!

That's my philosophy!

You got to keep moving.

Personal goal?

Ha ha ha imagine that. Wisdom from the ages buried at the end of a diminishing thread on DYes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

Cheese and Rice!!

That's my philosophy!

You got to keep moving.

Personal goal?

Ha ha ha imagine that. Wisdom from the ages buried at the end of a diminishing thread on DYes.
    Great philosophy, Dan, and I totally agree with you. Press On!

I really hate being this cynical because we all want to cheer for him and I am truly glad he is out of the inner city, has a car, and still is proud of his work but...

-maybe he should stop picking up Little Caesers on his way to work if he wants to loose weight

-and while a 21 mile commute of walking and busing is not right, this is what happens when you live an increasingly sedimentary lifestyle. If he wants to loose weight, join a gym and take walks [[though with his history hopefully it doesn't give him PTSD)

Though making friends is the tricky part...

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    This guy's my hero.

I'm happy to see the update on James. Also glad to see he's still surrounded by people looking out for his best interests.

He’s proud that he got a raise, from $10.55 an hour to $10.80.
    He have could have quit that job after his windfall but he chose to stay. This is how they rewarded his loyalty. No mention of a bonus for his perfect attendance. I hope they have a health plan at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    He have could have quit that job after his windfall but he chose to stay. This is how they rewarded his loyalty. No mention of a bonus for his perfect attendance. I hope they have a health plan at least.
    Yeah, I am not impressed by his employer at all. That "raise" is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    Yeah, I am not impressed by his employer at all. That "raise" is insulting.
    Then you probably won't like my employer either.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I really hate being this cynical because we all want to cheer for him and I am truly glad he is out of the inner city, has a car, and still is proud of his work but...

-maybe he should stop picking up Little Caesers on his way to work if he wants to loose weight

-and while a 21 mile commute of walking and busing is not right, this is what happens when you live an increasingly sedimentary lifestyle. If he wants to loose weight, join a gym and take walks [[though with his history hopefully it doesn't give him PTSD)
    You were doing so good, then your big but got in the way. Maybe you should try to "loose" it.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast