Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

SMART is not going to reinstate its early morning, midday and later evening services to Detroit. The A.T.U. voted to keep their precious pensions. Funding has been cut. Rochester and other far away suburbs are not going to opt in SMART bus services, but they will pay taxes to SMART in return. So for those who going to work, services, shopping or home in a land far far away, start walking, ride a bike and find a ride. This is the way its going to be for years to come.

Politics and money are batteries in our global society. Without it there will be no modern future civilization.

At least Lathrup Village opt in the SMART buses. That's good news.

Has this already been posted?

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...2669005182.txt
    Rodgers Chevrolet of Woodhaven is working on giving a free vehicle to a Detroit man who rides and walks 21 miles to work each day.

The announcement was made Sunday afternoon after General Manager Joe Posby and salesman Darwin Filey came together to talk about how they could help James Robertson.

Robertson is a Detroit resident who has a 21-mile commute to work in Rochester Hills. Part of the commute is on foot.
    Coincidentally enough, Woodhaven is also a SMART opt-out. Since there have been a lot of developments there since 1995, it'd be nice to extend the #160 through the shopping centers at Allen Road west to Hall Road and the #830 to the Ford plant.
    Last edited by mtburb; February-04-15 at 01:10 PM.

After reviewing the Metropolitan Transportation Authorities Act of 1967 [[as amended in 1988), I don't see any language that permits individual municipalities from opting out of SMART. There is a provision that allows counties to opt out. Maybe I'm missing something? Any transit experts out there know the specific statute that permits individual cities/townships to opt out of SMART?

Quote Originally Posted by magnumstan View Post
    Yes, I pray all the best for him. It's a messed up world, or maybe just me the way I think haa, but the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the map of his everyday movements and preliminary talk of "someone should donate a car for him", was, man, he'll be cruisin' for a jackin'.
    That 86-year old Detroit man who won the lottery and went missing? He turned up dead. Stabbed to death in a vacant house.

http://news.yahoo.com/missing-86-old...192218895.html

And all he won was 20K in the lottery. This guy's GoFundMe is up to what, over 70K now? If they murdered an 86-year old man hoping to get 20K, imagine what kind of target this guy will have on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    That 86-year old Detroit man who won the lottery and went missing? He turned up dead. Stabbed to death in a vacant house.

http://news.yahoo.com/missing-86-old...192218895.html

And all he won was 20K in the lottery. This guy's GoFundMe is up to what, over 70K now? If they murdered an 86-year old man hoping to get 20K, imagine what kind of target this guy will have on his back.
    I really wouldn't worry about this guy. He has an entire community and movement behind him. And it's not like he has the 200K in hand. It seems like he doesn't have easy access to it yet and it probably uncomfortable with it still.

It's sad to hear about the other guy. Someone probably overheard he won 20K and figured they could get him to give him some.

This is a failure of an integrated mass transit system.

DetroitBoy Guest

This is a great story. The donations are now over $300k and Mr Robertson wiil be featured as the ABC News Person of the Week on their network broadcast. I have to believe with this much exposure placed on the mass transit system in the area when they tell this story, it will force the Govenor and the State to act. This story will be a very positive one for Detroit at a national level but it will also highlight the need for correcting the mass transit problem we have here. The story will most likely ask the question 'why is it like this in Detroit?"

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    This is a great story. The donations are now over $300k and Mr Robertson wiil be featured as the ABC News Person of the Week on their network broadcast. I have to believe with this much exposure placed on the mass transit system in the area when they tell this story, it will force the Govenor and the State to act. This story will be a very positive one for Detroit at a national level but it will also highlight the need for correcting the mass transit problem we have here. The story will most likely ask the question 'why is it like this in Detroit?"
    And in your opinion, WHY is it like this in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I really wouldn't worry about this guy. He has an entire community and movement behind him.
    And that's going to stop thugs with guns? When has it ever?

And it's not like he has the 200K in hand. It seems like he doesn't have easy access to it yet and it probably uncomfortable with it still.
    I doubt the 86-year old Detroit man had 20K in cash on his person either, but that didn't stop him from getting abducted, taken to a vacant, and executed under the belief that he did have that money. That James Robertson doesn't have the 300K in cash on hand doesn't mean that there aren't uneducated criminals out there who won't hear about his windfall and THINK he has money. That's all it takes, the perception that someone has something that you can take by force.

The news published the route he walks, including five miles through some sketchy parts of Detroit and Highland Park at 2am. He already has been mugged once and even Robertson himself admits in the Freep article that his route goes through a "really dangerous" part of the city. I'd say he's a pretty prime target now.

I doubt the 86-year old Detroit man had 20K in cash on his person either, but that didn't stop him from getting abducted, taken to a vacant, and executed under the belief that he did have that money. That James Robertson doesn't have the 300K in cash on hand doesn't mean that there aren't uneducated criminals out there who won't hear about his windfall and THINK he has money. That's all it takes, the perception that someone has something that you can take by force.

The news published the route he walks, including five miles through some sketchy parts of Detroit and Highland Park at 2am. He already has been mugged once and even Robertson himself admits in the Freep article that his route goes through a "really dangerous" part of the city. I'd say he's a pretty prime target now.
    maybe be he'll use some of that money to buy a special surprise for the next person who tries to mug him.

...... That's naughty GP. But something to consider. Folks have been rolled for less. What is his number? I am sure some are trying to search him down to help him 'distribute' his moneys in various and sundry ways. Hah! He needs a promotions director, maybe a Logo designed. I am for 'hire' [[just jokes!).

He will have to change his lifestyle just a bit now with all this publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    maybe be he'll use some of that money to buy a special surprise for the next person who tries to mug him.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-05-15 at 07:00 AM.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    And in your opinion, WHY is it like this in Detroit?
    A couple of reasons why we saw the decline of public transportation in Detroit. Most of it is related to our own success as the major automobile manufacturer coupled with the ambitions of Henry Ford and the white men who ran GM, Firestone, the oil and truck companies. Here are some thoughts from the article 1950s American automobile culture:

In some instances, the automotive industry and others were directly responsible for the decline of public transportation.The Great American streetcar scandal saw GM, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California, Phillips Petroleum, Mack Trucks and other companies purchase a number of streetcars and electric trains in the 1930s and 1940s, such that 90 percent of city trolleys had been dismantled by 1950. It was argued that this was a deliberate destruction of streetcars as part of a larger strategy to push the United States into automobile dependency.In United States v. National City Lines, Inc., many were found guilty of antitrust violations.The story has been explored several times in print, film and other media, for example in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Taken for a Ride and The End of Suburbia.

1950s American automobile culture has had an enduring influence on the culture of the United States, as reflected in popular music, major trends from the 1950s and mainstream acceptance of the "hot rod" culture. The American manufacturing economy switched from producing war-related items to consumer goods at the end of World War II, and by the end of the 1950s, one in six working Americans were employed either directly or indirectly in the automotive industry.

The United States became the world's largest manufacturer of automobiles, and Henry Ford's goal of 40 years earlier—that any man with a good job should be able to afford an automobile—was achieved.A new generation of service businesses focusing on customers with their automobiles sprang up during the decade, including drive-through or drive-in restaurants and more drive-in theaters [[cinemas).The decade began with 25 million registered automobiles on the road, most of which predated World War II and were in poor condition; no automobiles or parts were produced during the war owing to rationing and restrictions. By 1950, most factories had made the transition to a consumer-based economy, and more than 8 million cars were produced that year alone. By 1958, there were more than 67 million cars registered in the United States, more than twice the number at the start of the decade.

In addition, The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 created the Interstate Highway System [[a cold war response to the threat of attack by Communism) which provided Federal legislation and support for the movement to the automobile as the primary form of transportation in the US.

From a sociological perspective, the automobile became a symbol of status and for some, defined the very essence of personal value and success. "New, bigger and faster" was the prevailing theme of automobile design in the 1950s. Larger and more powerful cars gave us the ability to drive longer daily commutes. This drove the decline in the inner core of cities as well as an overall perception that public transportation was for lower class, unsuccessful people who didn't have the right stuff to achieve the American Dream. Advertizing also reinforced the notion that it was almost unamerican NOT participate in this perception of the American Dream. "See the USA in your Chevrolet" was a popular tag line followed by "Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet" further reinforced this concept.

Fast forward 65 years. Here we are with the humble Mr Robertson who has to go to extremes to get to work and hold on to his job. In Detroit, I believe the problem is much deeper than simply getting the funding passed to create the needed mass transit. At a subconscious level, we are asking people to redefine what it means to be successful and this stressor creates resistance in the mind. The well-being of the majority of us in the Metro Detroit area is due to the automotive industry, either directly or indirectly. Are people willing to go against that which has given them the prosperity they enjoy? This reaches into the very essence of what and who we are as Detroiters. Changing this mindset will be far more difficult than securing the funding and cooperation needed for mass transit.

Last edited by DetroitBoy; February-05-15 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Defend yourself you coward. Lets hear about these great business principles you speak of, tell me what I don't understand. I'm waiting for you to start spewing about how you are some successful businessman, have lots of fancy possessions, etc... You are so predictable...
    What could you possibly be talking about?

I simply said your statements were uninformed. They're still uninformed because you don't know the financials of the business, you don't know the financials of the owner, and you seem to have no understanding of how a business works.

But sure, low-level machine operators who haven't moved up in a decade deserve free cars.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    What could you possibly be talking about?

I simply said your statements were uninformed. They're still uninformed because you don't know the financials of the business, you don't know the financials of the owner, and you seem to have no understanding of how a business works.

But sure, low-level machine operators who haven't moved up in a decade deserve free cars.
    You have no understanding of the how the world works as evidenced by the $300,000 raised for Mr. Robertson. It's looks as if you have rightfully taken it as an indictment against your own personal "money grubbing" character by the looks of your last sentence .... You are the buzzkill to a good story about people stepping up...You decided to step up to the "soap box"....

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    You have no understanding of the how the world works as evidenced by the $300,000 raised for Mr. Robertson. It's looks as if you have rightfully taken it as an indictment against your own personal "money grubbing" character by the looks of your last sentence .... You are the buzzkill to a good story about people stepping up...You decided to step up to the "soap box"....
    You're projecting.

I was speaking solely about your misguided comments about the business and business owner. Stay on topic.

To refresh your memory: You implied the business owners were "evil capitalists" because they didn't buy a machine operator a vehicle.

I mean, think about that a little.
    Last edited by noise; February-05-15 at 01:03 PM.

I don't think this man needs you to worry about him, he has already proven he is perfectly capable of taking care of himself.

James' thank you was beautiful; he has touched people all over the world.

Some of the posters here -- wow. It really must suck to have the instinctive reaction to his story be unbridled anger on 10 different levels.

Once something like this happens your privacy is destroyed! Were I him I'd decline most of the media, move to a modest apartment - say in White Lake, Waterford or somewhere else not as expensive as where he works. Get my phone unlisted by deal with those disposable mobile phones and 'wait out' the 'sudden' friends/ family CRUSH. He should drive his Tuarus to work, keeping a very low profile for about a year. No facebook, linkedin, twitter, ditter etc. None of that.

He best to resist the 'star' factor which attracts much of the drama!

Last edited by Zacha341; February-06-15 at 11:56 AM.

Best week ever for Mr. Robertson! His GoFundMe account is at 311K and climbing and to top it all off he has a brand new Ford.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...201755338.html
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-06-15 at 03:54 PM.

I do hope that Mr. Robertson gets some good financial advice. Sports starts get screwed. Perhaps someone at Fidelity or somewhere else can step in pro bono? Corktownyuppie, that's your field, no?

At 311k, gofundme is proving to be a stupid way to help. Nothing against him, nor those who are contributing. However the goal of helping him with transportation has been accomplished 10 times over now. I hope Robertson's a great guy, and I wish him well with his windfall. This program wasn't intended to move him into the 1%, as it clearly has now.

The guy who's been been giving him a lift on occasion, before any of the publicity started, is a banker in Troy. I think he's offered to steer him right.

I really wouldn't worry about this guy. He has an entire community and movement behind him. And it's not like he has the 200K in hand. It seems like he doesn't have easy access to it yet and it probably uncomfortable with it still.

It's sad to hear about the other guy. Someone probably overheard he won 20K and figured they could get him to give him some.

When you win the lottery in Detroit, Don't tell, Don't snitch! You will die!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    At 311k, gofundme is proving to be a stupid way to help. Nothing against him, nor those who are contributing. However the goal of helping him with transportation has been accomplished 10 times over now. I hope Robertson's a great guy, and I wish him well with his windfall. This program wasn't intended to move him into the 1%, as it clearly has now.
    If there was a way to piss all over a heart-warming story, ^^^this was it...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

When you win the lottery in Detroit, Don't tell, Don't snitch! You will die!!!
    What's the saying, "Snitches get Stitches"

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast