Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I will say I do think the folks actually working for the PLA [[including the contractors) meant well. Nothing against them personally. This bullcrap always comes from the very top [[I.E. the mayor, city council and even state government given the city was under receivership for the past 2.5 years).

Obviously, what they were trying to do is adjust the lighting grid so that we are no longer lighting areas that are now abandoned and save the city dollars by taking those lights in the abandoned areas out of commission.

But clearly, the plan was poorly executed [[with the scapegoat being that it's meeting these mysterious "national guidelines" we've never seen nor heard of). As SWMAP stated, they obviously didn't consider the needs of the residents as they were re-distributing these lights [[as far as deterring crime, kids walking to school, etc.) when densely-populated blocks and their entrances to the alley ways [[where some people's cars and garages are) are now darker than before.

Now the question is will they acknowledge how poor their execution was and take the necessary steps to correct their mistakes, or will they simply continue to pat themselves on the back claiming a job well done? Unfortunately, it's looking to be the latter.

Thank you for getting the point. Why dismantle something working until other system/s get installed.

Only noticed our alley lights have been dismantled also. Old neighborhood, paved alleys which mostly service the senior centers. Let them bitch too!

Funny, the biggest bitch Detroiters have is lighting.

I get that!

When our lighting was removed I posted that a neighbor was being given a surprise birthday party scheduled for 9 pm. I walked down my offering and was in tears by the time I got home. It wasn't far at all.

Some forumer mocked me. Uneven sidewalks, pitch black street. Yeah it was very disturbing. I was legally blind at the time. Surgery has given me new sight.

I still would not take that short walk! Pitch black streets are not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Funny, the biggest bitch Detroiters have is lighting.

I get that!

When our lighting was removed I posted that a neighbor was being given a surprise birthday party scheduled for 9 pm. I walked down my offering and was in tears by the time I got home. It wasn't far at all.

Some forumer mocked me. Uneven sidewalks, pitch black street. Yeah it was very disturbing. I was legally blind at the time. Surgery has given me new sight.

I still would not take that short walk! Pitch black streets are not acceptable.
    I agree. That forum poster was foul for mocking IMO.

In a town with such a high rate of crime such as Detroit, having streets that are lit well enough for people who are outside at night to clearly observe their surroundings is a very big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I agree. That forum poster was foul for mocking IMO.

In a town with such a high rate of crime such as Detroit, having streets that are lit well enough for people who are outside at night to clearly observe their surroundings is a very big deal.
    Sadly I was not at all disturbed by so called street people, passed a few. most likely could have asked for assistance, but too stuborn. My bad!

I do like your screen name, 313 a Tuxedo exchange. My little brother had a heck of a time remembering our phone number. He needed that to pass kindergarden. My Mom made up a ditty, Tuxedo 15498, call me on the phone. No worries he is an excecutive with Ford now or maybe you should. That silly song was a small boost. My Mom passed at 91 yrs of age. She had that number for 62 yrs. Some years before my Mom passed an old neighbor who moved to Ohio had to return for a funeral, she didn't bring her address phone book with her but she remembered that dumb song [[she used a version of it for her daughter) they got together.

So hope you do not mind, I think of you as tuxedo.

Just chatted with sumas re: 313WX. Tuxedo phone exchange was 881 not 99 [[WX). No big deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/a...roit.html?_r=0

This is a an essay from yesterday morning's newpaper and another favorable story about Detroit. The author praises the city's mayor, the federal government for assisting in the reconstruction of lights in Motown and the many individuals who are running or trying to development their businesses and may benefits from new lights and more safety.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Just chatted with sumas re: 313WX. Tuxedo phone exchange was 881 not 99 [[WX). No big deal.
    I can [[triple) verify that. I wonder if it was a coincidence it was given the name tuxedo and was in Grosse Pointe, where I imagine more tuxedos were worn than average at the time.
    Last edited by bust; January-12-17 at 01:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2