Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I would imagine that Detroit's location along an international border crossing, as well as the ubiquitous freeway system also helps to promote organized crime. It's no coincidence that places like Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana are hot beds for organized crime to support various black market industries in North America. I imagine that Detroit has to contend with some of the same factors, especially in a depressed economy where there is not much alternative for low skill/no-skill labor.
Is there any indication that the Detroit/Windsor border is an attraction for organized crime? While there are undoubtedly opportunists who would attempt to smuggle people or contraband between our international crossings here, the northern border has not nearly been compromised to the extent of the southern border.

As some have mentioned, statistics will support that Detroit faces extreme levels of economic and educational inequality and cultural segregation. However, poverty and oppressive circumstances should never pardon violating others.

Some people become complacent and calloused, and will resign that "it happens everywhere." While it "could" happen anywhere, living around these levels of crime is not or, at least, should not be considered normal.

If you or your loved one were an innocent victim of a crime in the city, it would still be hard to celebrate that the city had a few less violent crimes and murders. If you or your innocent loved one was carjacked, mugged, or gunned down, knowing that there are beautiful, low-crime areas of the city would bring little solace.

I love Detroit, and I am optimistic, but I cannot live in denial of the reality for so many.