Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think Cart that should continue to make work clothes and not change it's style for a more hipster style or trend. The hipsters as well as non hipsters alike are wearing the work styled clothing for style and for work

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think Cart that should continue to make work clothes and not change it's style for a more hipster style or trend. The hipsters as well as non hipsters alike are wearing the work styled clothing for style and for work
    Except their other retail stores seem to be more trendy and that's the model that seems to be working for them.

Has it been determined whether or not it will be a WIP store?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Instead of the HQ...how about relocating all their production to Detroit from Mexico, China and the rest of its other off shore locations?
    Exactly......and rehire all of the former employees who lost their job, dignity, & healthcare.

Sadly, the renovations look to completely destroying the character of the old showroom area. Columns have been covered over, ceiling apparently demo'd, removing all vestiges of this art deco space.

Opens next week! Here's the Metro Times article, which I found to be a bit ungrateful and snarky.

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...roit-next-week

Cleveland based MT has become masters of ungrateful and snarky!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Cleveland based MT has become masters of ungrateful and snarky!
    It is definitely a needlessly snarky article. I imagine the staff at MT is sitting around back slapping each other and saying important "journalist" things.

they're painting the side of the building facing I94 today with a mural.. looked great so far

I am more excited about this store opening than any other store opening prior to this. It will cater to the average working person if the prices are not too high. I am hoping to here news that Dunham or Docks will open a store I'm Midtown

AKA scrambling for revenue....."where brand executives will be on hand to back slap each other and say important executive things before the store's doors swing open to what we imagine will be a mad rush of work wear enthusiasts".

Wonder if the brand executives will also be playing "musical chairs" at the opening.....never know, never.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am more excited about this store opening than any other store opening prior to this. It will cater to the average working person if the prices are not too high. I am hoping to here news that Dunham or Docks will open a store I'm Midtown
    While you've been waiting for that store to open, what was wrong with National Dry Goods store and main office on Trumbull in Corktown? They sold Carhartt, Dickies and others from that location for years. Open 7 days a week. Maybe Corktown just isn't trendy enough?

I popped in there Sunday and while I didn't buy anything - it will be a nice addition for the transient masses attending WSU and the construction workers.

I have no interest wearing a brown oversized jacket or camo sweaters.

But another building renovated, employees working in the city and more money being spent in the D - so we all win.

I wish they had one line of workout shirts - akin to an UnderArmour - so you could support them and buy something functional.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I popped in there Sunday and while I didn't buy anything - it will be a nice addition for the transient masses attending WSU and the construction workers.

I have no interest wearing a brown oversized jacket or camo sweaters.

But another building renovated, employees working in the city and more money being spent in the D - so we all win.

I wish they had one line of workout shirts - akin to an UnderArmour - so you could support them and buy something functional.
    Carhardt was the optimum in functionality [[at least till they began to cater to the hipsters). Abercrombie and Fitch was one of the greatest stores in the world till the yuppie kids discovered them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Carhardt was the optimum in functionality [[at least till they began to cater to the hipsters). Abercrombie and Fitch was one of the greatest stores in the world till the yuppie kids discovered them.
    I don't know of better made or more functional pants for working with tools and sharp objects, sparks, and chips than Carhartt's canvas duck dungarees.

And they're too baggy for today's hipsters. Though like everything fashion that will again change.

They will do a brisk business off the construction workers that are already working on various projects around the city. They know where their bread is buttered, this was a no brainer for them.

Construction workers do not "shop" while working........

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Construction workers do not "shop" while working........
    Nope, you got that right. In fact they never "shop" like you said. They just buy what they want when their off. Carhartt is pretty well respected throughout the trades.

What are the store hours? do they have a website yet?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    While you've been waiting for that store to open, what was wrong with National Dry Goods store and main office on Trumbull in Corktown? They sold Carhartt, Dickies and others from that location for years. Open 7 days a week. Maybe Corktown just isn't trendy enough?
    I had occasionally shopped at National Dry Goods. Purchased my Dickinson blue jeans from it. I had never said that I was for the trendy. That is why I think that Carharrt is a positive step in the right direction for detroit. I still would like to see more retail outside of Gilbert to own which is anything outside of the Downtown perimeter. The trendy, chic, and expensive stores could be in downtown while the average every American shoppers could have stores such as Carharrt, Dicks, Target, etc lining midtown, Michigan ave, Gratiot, and Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    What are the store hours? do they have a website yet?
    Google Carhartt and look them up under store location. Each store doesn't have a specific website. That's rarity amongst chain/brand stores.

The good and bad part about their clothing is that it gets better the older and more broken in it gets. My 15 year old jacket that I bought on a last chance sale rack won't need to be replaced for another 15 years unless I get a sweet gut and then I'll probably be overly warm most of the time anyway so I'll just unzip it. For what it's worth this is the only store, of the handful of new comers, that I will definitely check out at some point though. I hope they do a lot of business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2