Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'll be the first one to admit to missing midday free form music- the kind that Ann Delisi and Rob Reinhart are playing on the weekends now. Remember when it was Judy Adams, Dave Dixon and Martin Bandyke that played whatever they felt like and it was jazz, bluegrass, progressive, country/ western, and pretty much anything under the sun? Sometimes, more often than not- they'd play something that I didn't necessarily like but it exposed me to a different genre of music and while not loving it, I did learn to appreciate it a little more.

I loved the fact that WDET has knowledgeable musical folks at the helm. They hear a helluva lot more music than I do and it's their responsibility [[and it also seems like their passion) to stitch together a good radio show. Why be pigeon holed into playing one genre of music all the live long day? I remember vaguely during the noon until 1:00 slot they'd play a very focused form of music programming such as Piano Jazz or Afro Pop- but it was only for an hour which for me was just right to hear it and appreciate it.

WDET is singlehandedly responsible for more of my personal music library than I care to talk about. Throughout the years they've introduced me to more unique forms of music that I know would never stand a chance on commercial radio. These folks do an amazing job and I make it a point to donate a few sheckels every time they come calling.
    And that's one thing they don't get. As a sustaining member, I wanna hear MORE MUSIC! They need to stop the talk around 5 or 6 pm and have music for the rest of the night during the week and all music on the weekends. I wanna here music selected by knowledgeable hosts. I wanna hear more Ann Delisi, Chris Campbell, Jon Mosier. All that talk radio radio is for the birds. I can take it up to a point, but they don't get that and haven't gotten that since when they purged the station of its music personalities 7 or 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRocks View Post
    And that's one thing they don't get. As a sustaining member, I wanna hear MORE MUSIC! They need to stop the talk around 5 or 6 pm and have music for the rest of the night during the week and all music on the weekends.
    They're not ever gonna do this because 1) All Things Considered is on till 7 and is actively listened to and 2) Weekend shows like WWDTM, This American Life, and Radiolab are also just as popular as the music.

I have been listening to WHFR lately. What do the rest of you think of it?

http://whfr.fm/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRocks View Post
    And that's one thing they don't get. As a sustaining member, I wanna hear MORE MUSIC! They need to stop the talk around 5 or 6 pm and have music for the rest of the night during the week and all music on the weekends. I wanna here music selected by knowledgeable hosts. I wanna hear more Ann Delisi, Chris Campbell, Jon Mosier. All that talk radio radio is for the birds. I can take it up to a point, but they don't get that and haven't gotten that since when they purged the station of its music personalities 7 or 8 years ago.
    This is interesting to me. I don't want to hear any music on WDET. I listen for the talk shows. I've never heard anything that interested me, musically, on this station. And I say that as somebody with a rather large vinyl record collection, who has toured the country playing in bands.

Then again, maybe that's why I'm not interested in hearing music on this station. I'm relatively tuned in and know exactly what music I want to hear. Stubborn, perhaps.
    Last edited by noise; February-05-15 at 11:33 AM.