Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They aren't a fad in Atlanta. Singer Gladys Knights Signature Chicken and Waffles restaurant is big time down there, with about 5 locations in Metro Atlanta. They serve other food as well.
    I'm actually surprised by the sheer lack of southern cuisine restaurants in Detroit, given its huge African American population

Aside from a couple hole-in-the-walls, there are very few places to find decent southern-fried fish/shrimp, soul food or BBQ [[and no, Slows is not what I'm referring to).

Alot of great, reknowned shrimp and soul food places have closed over the years, such as Dot & Etta's shrimp hut on Livernois and Miley & Miley Shrimp Shack in Highland Park. Some of the best soul food restaurants/joints that remain include Vicki's [[in the hooooood on West Warren Ave), Uptown BBQ on Livernois, and Bert's Marketplace in Eastern Market. Detroit Seafood Market in Harmonie Park is also pretty good.

Actually, there are a couple of soul food restaurants on Grand River in North Rosedale Park and Rosedale Park. One is a sit down restaurant.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=grand...62nNv-cerjR77w

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=grand...Nmo9NWUSTLd0Jg

motor city soul food @ 7 Mile & Meyers has good takeout.. meanwhile more diverse sit down restaurants are needed in the various neighborhoods. it can't be all about midtown and downtown and mexicantown http://www.yelp.com/biz/motor-city-soul-food-detroit
    Last edited by Hypestyles; January-27-15 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Twenty years ago would put us at 1995, when Michigan's economy was booming, before the subprime mortgage bubble [[that allowed the black middle class to flee to the inner ring suburbs much easier) and before the lifting of the residency requirement.

So to be frank, I highly doubt what you imply was actually the case...
    Yes, but the "Avenue of Fashion" stretch of Livernois was then in a state of seemingly terminal decline, and had been declining since at least the '70s. It is indeed in far better shape, with more occupancy, retail traffic, and increasingly more restaurants than it had then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They aren't a fad in Atlanta. Singer Gladys Knights Signature Chicken and Waffles restaurant is big time down there, with about 5 locations in Metro Atlanta. They serve other food as well.
    They've been popular in LA since at least the '70s [[with the ever-popular Roscoe's), and go back much further than that to after-hours restaurants for musicians in Harlem.

I have to agree, areas outside of downtown, mid town and mexican town need sit down eateries. Roses opened on east Jefferson, still haven't eaten there, the business is so booming.

Totally off topic but I remember chicken and waffles from an old movie from the 40s--I think "Mildred Pierce"? I always wondered about how that dish is served. Is it good? It seems like a strange combination.
    Last edited by aoife; January-27-15 at 11:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2