Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In a wealthy community of single family homes, a transition to renters is basically the kiss of death. People specifically move to these communities for stable neighborhoods full of hyper-involved homeowners and parents. They're the kind of neighborhoods where not shoveling the snow in a timely matter is a grave offense to neighbors.

If they wanted to live next to transients they wouldn't be paying outrageous property taxes, and they'd be living somewhere more renter friendly [[Royal Oak, Midtown, Ann Arbor, wherever).
    Haha that's funny. There are plenty of renters in the part of GP where I live and you wouldn't know who rents unless you ask. The property taxes are no higher than RO and AA unless you are in an expensive home. And plenty of "homeowners" never shovel their driveways here [[the sidewalks and streets do get plowed).

In a wealthy community of single family homes, a transition to renters is basically the kiss of death. People specifically move to these communities for stable neighborhoods full of hyper-involved homeowners and parents. They're the kind of neighborhoods where not shoveling the snow in a timely matter is a grave offense to neighbors.

If they wanted to live next to transients they wouldn't be paying outrageous property taxes, and they'd be living somewhere more renter friendly [[Royal Oak, Midtown, Ann Arbor, wherever).

GPwrangler, you're right, bham's is a really funny post.

bham, your reflex is age-old and you play right into the kind of degenerative process that damaged Detroit in the first place. Tell folks who rent that they can't have access to a better environment than they had before, tell them they can't contribute to a community and guess what, you end up with fatherless kids, and the kind of violence you say you abhor.

Tell the guineas, wetbacks, shanty Irish and kikes, tell the darkies they don't and can never belong. Guess what; they all manage to get out from under the shroud you have dropped on them.

The kiss of death, indeed.

As for hyper-involved parents, not so sure about your concoction of the ideal suburban eden. There are plenty of disaffected youth with keys to sports cars but nowhere to go but in a ditch.

Frankly, if your idea of hell is your neighbor's unplowed driveway, you need a neurological scan to determine what is wrong with you.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Rational thinking goes out the window when white parents see too many black kids at the local school. You know it's true.

I'm not anti-Grosse Pointe. I'm just disgusted with the so-called "decline" of the east side suburbs. The whites are in flight again. When does it ever end?[/COLOR]
    Again? That suggests that you think it ever stopped?

White 'flight' was never fully white. I lived in a neighborhood where the demographics were changing, and the among the first families to move were the first blacks -- who had 'fled' the inner-city. They moved from the new blacks coming in just as fast as whites.

Flight from crime and poverty is a rational reaction to, well, crime and poverty. People want to live in better 'hoods. They dont want to live where their families are at risk. Being white and having lived through a migration, I can tell you that few cared what color people were -- although some did. Most fled because of crime, some others because of crime, and then there were those who moved because of crime.

If you want to solve 'flight', then solve crime. NYC has led the way in crime fighting. Just watched Bratton on Rose. He agreed that Stop, Frisk, and Question was overused -- but like medicine sometimes needed to be used in a strong dose. It was. It worked, and the NYC population in the worst neighborhoods benefitted. Detroit would do better to stop demonizing the cops for rare problems, but instead celebrating their successes in reducing crime. If crime gets under control, few will care about the color of their neighbors.

Did I say its all about crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

White 'flight' was never fully white. I lived in a neighborhood where the demographics were changing, and the among the first families to move were the first blacks -- who had 'fled' the inner-city. They moved from the new blacks coming in just as fast as whites.

Flight from crime and poverty is a rational reaction to, well, crime and poverty. People want to live in better 'hoods. They dont want to live where their families are at risk. Being white and having lived through a migration, I can tell you that few cared what color people were -- although some did. Most fled because of crime, some others because of crime, and then there were those who moved because of crime.

If you want to solve 'flight', then solve crime. NYC has led the way in crime fighting. Just watched Bratton on Rose. He agreed that Stop, Frisk, and Question was overused -- but like medicine sometimes needed to be used in a strong dose. It was. It worked, and the NYC population in the worst neighborhoods benefitted. Detroit would do better to stop demonizing the cops for rare problems, but instead celebrating their successes in reducing crime. If crime gets under control, few will care about the color of their neighbors.

Wesley hits the 80yd TD bomb with pinpoint accuracy on that post. It's all about the crime is 100% correct. Make a major reduction in crime in any bad nieghborhood and it starts to rebound quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Haha that's funny. There are plenty of renters in the part of GP where I live and you wouldn't know who rents unless you ask.
    Then you probably live in the Cabbage Patch, or in a bungalow next to Detroit. The wealthy GP neighborhoods are all homeowners.

The property taxes are no higher than RO and AA unless you are in an expensive home.
    I have no idea what this has to do with anything. The fact is that if GP becomes a community of renters, then GP is no longer a desirable community.

And GP taxes are extremely high, and higher than those of Royal Oak and Ann Arbor. The Pointes also get more for their taxes than those two communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

AMEN brother, AMEN!

Then you probably live in the Cabbage Patch, or in a bungalow next to Detroit. The wealthy GP neighborhoods are all homeowners.
    I know a family renting on Lakeshore Drive.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything. The fact is that if GP becomes a community of renters, then GP is no longer a desirable community.

And GP taxes are extremely high, and higher than those of Royal Oak and Ann Arbor. The Pointes also get more for their taxes than those two communities.
    lol how would I know? I live here. How close to detroit is too close? Lol

I'm not wealthy. I live in a nice colonial in a nice part of town. It's desire able; the last two houses for sale on my block sold within days.

Yes we have rentals on my street. It doesn't doom the neighborhood.

It's over Gpwrangler. You'd better hope you can move to the upper crust of Oakland County before it's too late!

DetroitBoy Guest

When I was a kid, my mother forbade us to go anywhere below Balfour. My sister got caught one time doing that and she was grounded for a month. She told us over and over that 'people who live on top of each other are definitely not our kind of people' and for us to 'NEVER mix in' with them.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; January-19-15 at 06:10 PM.

It's over Gpwrangler. You'd better hope you can move to the upper crust of Oakland County before it's too late!
    Haha been there, done that. I like GP a lot better even if I have to mix with the common folk lol. [[Sarc)

I see a non-thinking or non-caring kid who should not be allowed back into the school. Let him attend adult education classes if he will act reasonably, but never again that school. It's not a race thing, it's a behavior expectation thing. Students should be expected to act in a civil manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I see a non-thinking or non-caring kid who should not be allowed back into the school. Let him attend adult education classes if he will act reasonably, but never again that school. It's not a race thing, it's a behavior expectation thing. Students should be expected to act in a civil manner.

There you go. It's about kids with behavioral problems. Maybe ADD or anyone of the disorders that make some kids act screwy or just bad parenting of course. That said, if I guy did that to my daughter, I would go bonkers.

But this needs to be adressed in a serious manner and the city of Grosse Pointe and its population will keep on living. I hope the young lady is doing OK.

This whole "mix" thing gets me. I frequent GP a LOT, and always think to myself that it's one of the most racially mixed scenes I encounter anywhere in the Metro-Detroit area. Maybe I'm just being delusional.

Besides Grosse Pointe Park, all of the Grosse Pointes are over 90% white. The Farms are 95% white!

[QUOTE=nain rouge;467086]Rational thinking goes out the window when white parents see too many black kids at the local school. You know it's true.

Call me crazy but I don't think that guy should hurl a girl's face into an open locker, the tone of this thread that by virtue of living in GP somehow cosmically this girl "had it coming" is kinda creepy

When did I say she had it coming? My point is that there are bad apples everywhere and that this incident shouldn't reflect negatively on the quality of GP North. The culprit SHOULD be punished.

I'm a supporter of GP North.

Anyone know definitively why north of Parkcrest on the east, and Damman on the west in HW wound up under the GP school system?

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Anyone know definitively why north of Parkcrest on the east, and Damman on the west in HW wound up under the GP school system?
    Don't know. Some people in the Farms and Park don't even consider the Woods as part of GP. South was the real Grosse Pointe HS because it was the only one for a long time. The Woods is really more like Harper Woods than it ever was like the Farms and Park. Different classes of people.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; January-20-15 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Don't know. Some people in the Farms and Park don't even consider the Woods as part of GP. South was the real Grosse Pointe HS because it was the only one for a long time. The Woods is really more like Harper Woods than it ever was like the Farms and Park. Different classes of people.
    Lol that's funny.

Besides Grosse Pointe Park, all of the Grosse Pointes are over 90% white. The Farms are 95% white!

With a public system which its mostly white in the southern portions and and white/black mixed in northern portions. Poupard Elementery in Harper Woods, in which the school is part of Grosse Pointe Public Schools is 67% black.
    Last edited by Danny; January-20-15 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    The school district boundaries were set in 1921, long before GPW and HW incorporated.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    That is funny. Must be tough to acknowledge your poor relations. I remember some pompous ass ,who lived on Belanger of all streets, get this momentary confused look on his face when I told him where I lived. "Oh, you're 'up in the Woods!'"

I'm not in high school anymore and neither are my kids. I have no clue what goes on there. But it doesn't "doom" the town.

It will be in the next 30 years. Wait til all the businesses along Mack Ave north of Moross dissapear, but the neighborhoods will be well kept up. It will be an equivalent to northwest and northeast Detroit ghetto hoods but with fewer white businesses and more black businesses and black folks donning their Travyon Martins walking Mack Ave and Vernier Drive either minding their own businesses or look for someone of something to case the area, rob and shoot.

By 2035 walking down any Grosse Pointes and Grosse Pointe Woods we be like walking in the hood.
    Last edited by Danny; January-20-15 at 07:34 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast