Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I know Meijers is not downtown, now thats a big thing to happen to Detroit and yes John Varvatoes
    is a very luxury mens store look at their website

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    If you have MAJOR retailers leaving Northland and Eastland,how does he expect MAJOR retailers to move downtown?

Because downtown is trending up and retailers want to get in low and profit on the potential growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    If you have MAJOR retailers leaving Northland and Eastland,how does he expect MAJOR retailers to move downtown?
    Well, he already has a proven track record of getting done what he says hes going to do in the downtown so I would put a little more faith in him instead of what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Well, he already has a proven track record of getting done what he says hes going to do in the downtown so I would put a little more faith in him instead of what you think.
    But he's from Chicago, so his innate self doesn't want to see Detroit succeed.

I'm not saying Macy's is going to come, because I understand how that wouldn't be logical, but I wouldn't say that these new retailers won't be important. Though PBS was really over-hyped. Perhaps one of the two will be Restoration Hardware considering it hasn't been officially announced.

You can not be serious with that question. Where are major retailers to go? Montmorency County?

Malls across the country are dying because of online-shopping. No one wants to go into a big-box store where you can find a million homogeneous products that are cheaper online. People these days prefer brick & mortar stores to be more boutique oriented with unique or flashy items. Downtown environments are easier to fill with boutique stores.

Again, major =/= big box. In the 21st century, the retailers that are most successful are the ones doing more with less. JC Penny, Target, Macy's, Sears, etc., they're all being dragged down by overhead costs and too many products people are unmotivated to buy. Building in downtown areas is a big challenge for these brands because there needs to be a lot of money in the area to cover their costs of doing business.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; January-13-15 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm not saying Macy's is going to come, because I understand how that wouldn't be logical, but I wouldn't say that these new retailers won't be important. Though PBS was really over-hyped. Perhaps one of the two will be Restoration Hardware considering it hasn't been officially announced.
    Macy's is not going downtown. I don't know why Macy's is even being touted as the pinnacle of urban shopping success, either. Macy's exists in urban locations largely for legacy reasons. I doubt that a new Macy's has been developed in a traditional urban center in decades.

What seems pretty obvious is that Dan Gilbert is aiming for high end boutiques instead of mid-range and/or discount department stores. He's trying to emulate SoHo, not 34th Street.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Macy's is not going downtown. I don't know why Macy's is even being touted as the pinnacle of urban shopping success, either. Macy's exists in urban locations largely for legacy reasons. I doubt that a new Macy's has been developed in a traditional urban center in decades.

What seems pretty obvious is that Dan Gilbert is aiming for high end boutiques instead of mid-range and/or discount department stores. He's trying to emulate SoHo, not 34th Street.
    And I totally agree. But I will say that Century 21 "upscale" discount department store would make an awesome addition considering their market is downtown stores, eg New York and Philadelphia.

Did Gilbert clown on us this summer when Rock started the hype machine for weeks via the big 2 papers, only to annouce two lunch counters and Wright & Co., which were already reported on? Yes.

But would Restoration Hardware be a huge deal? Yes-- and the fact that 99 percent of people allegedly have never heard of it [[if only because it has highly interspersed locations and doesn't do advertising) doesn't change that. If it opens, it deserves hype both before and after the announcement. Also, while fairly upscale, it still registers as something 'practical' for downtown residents while also being worthy of destination shopping in the region's historic retailing center. Would seem to strike all the right chords for what Merchant's Row should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Did Gilbert clown on us this summer when Rock started the hype machine for weeks via the big 2 papers, only to annouce two lunch counters and Wright & Co., which were already reported on? Yes.

But would Restoration Hardware be a huge deal? Yes-- and the fact that 99 percent of people allegedly have never heard of it [[if only because it has highly interspersed locations and doesn't do advertising) doesn't change that. If it opens, it deserves hype both before and after the announcement. Also, while fairly upscale, it still registers as something 'practical' for downtown residents while also being worthy of destination shopping in the region's historic retailing center. Would seem to strike all the right chords for what Merchant's Row should be.
    Does it sell cuff-links like "Hugh"?

I'm waiting for a Apple Store to come to Gilberttown Detroit.

I stopped hoping for a Macy's or any big name stores be part of Gilberts announcfor ement. I do give him credit for bringing lower Woodward back to life. Looks a lot cleaner and safer since the bus stops had been removed

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    IIRC, it was a major announcement about a "national chain" for the Z building.... and it was Punch Bowl Social. Which was a clowning for sure.

But would Restoration Hardware be a huge deal? Yes-- and the fact that 99 percent of people allegedly have never heard of it [[if only because it has highly interspersed locations and doesn't do advertising) doesn't change that
    If that alleged 1% that patronizes it spends more there than the 99% does at Uncle Robinsons....does it matter? [[for the record, I really doubt RH is some unheard of mystery store)

Would seem to strike all the right chords for what Merchant's Row should be.
    Exactly... there are 130 other square miles for wig shops and bail bondsmen. some piece of downtown needs to be high end.

What's good news for downtown Detroit is good for the entire region, and that includes Windsor and Essex County. Just heard that another major call center is moving into Windsor. It's going to occupy the former Zeller's on the eastside. Do we need more proof that new investment in downtown benefits everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Does it sell cuff-links like "Hugh"?
    What is your point?

I would settle for a Dillard's, since there isn't one in Metro Detroit. It is comparable to Hudson's in what they offer.

Retail is a pretty broad category of commercial real estate tenancies.

I think there is some confusion here over what these stores are.

Macy's and Dillards are department stores. Both are publicly traded and really well-run.

JC Penney and Sears are department stores, and they are horribly run. I don't expect either to exist in 5-10 years.

Target no longer opens new stores without grocery, I believe. They want to compete with Meijer and Walmart. Low price food, discount clothing, etc.

Department stores are impacted by online sales, but is not a death knell if they are well-run. Sears had a reasonable play by selling Lands' End through multiple channels, but they are run by nincompoops and will likely sell the brand to someone else.

There are not too many standalone department stores. The indoor mall [[kind of an anachronism) has been replaced by the outdoor shopping power center. Compare Macomb Mall to Partridge Creek. Some malls, however, remain quite viable. Somerset has a $/square foot sales number that was almost unbelievable.

Retailers do not, as a general rule, pioneer. That means "build it and they will come" is not undertaken, not in this real estate cycle, anyway.

An influx of retailers of a certain sort can, however, demonstrate a population shift that is otherwise difficult to detect. Whole Foods has a high SES demographic. So does Restoration Hardware. If RH is coming to downtown, I can assure you, they've done their homework and the shoppers are already there.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Target no longer opens new stores without grocery, I believe. They want to compete with Meijer and Walmart. Low price food, discount clothing, etc.
    I haven't been into a City Target yet, but I doubt those will have a grocery component.

I haven't been into a City Target yet, but I doubt those will have a grocery component.
    The one I was in in chicago does. It had most everything a regular target had, just less of it and none of the bigger items like the furniture..etc. Also, no parking.

I could see a City Target selling groceries in downtown or midtown Detroit that if the Spartan foods products boys don't lobby to keep it away from the areas

Bed Bath and Beyond would be an excellent fit. Inexpensive, lots of product categories, and even getting into dry groceries sales [[very nice product selection) now, at least in NYC. They have many multi-level urban stores so they know what they're doing. Honestly a really good fit for downtown Detroit and something people would travel into the core district for.

Container Store is also a cheaper, highly practical store which thrives in heavily rental and apartment based markets, which central Detroit is becoming.

yes they do sell groceries, just like a super taget. but not as big of a selection

Varvatos is from Detroit so he's probably opening a small store as some sort of "giving back to the community" PR type thing. Gilbert is probably throwing in free rent, and everyone's happy, and can almost believe the manufactured hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Varvatos is from Detroit so he's probably opening a small store as some sort of "giving back to the community" PR type thing. Gilbert is probably throwing in free rent, and everyone's happy, and can almost believe the manufactured hype.
    Do you ever have anything positive to say about Detroit? Why do you even post here? You seem like a very negative person.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast