Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Your attempt to try persuade me failed once you hit this paragraph. There are no restaurants or bars outside of the Palace like many other venues.
    Who cares? The Palace is often the highest grossing venue in the U.S. Would you be happier if they opened an Applebees in the parking lot?

Don't apply your weird prejudices [[You apparently only like arenas if there is a restaurant or bar next to the front entrance) to draw conclusions about consumer preferences. The highest grossing arenas, generally speaking, are in stand-alone sites, no different than the Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    So if I wanted to grab a drink or a bite to eat before the game, where do I go? Somewhere in Auburn Hills? Oh and then I have to drive to the Palace and get caught in traffic?! No thanks.
    Yeah, obviously you can go wherever the hell you want. Everyone drives downtown to the stadia, and gets caught in traffic, just as to the Palace. There's no difference, except some people like you who don't understand cities like the contrived theme park aspect of downtown arenas.

Visit a functioning city and you'll understand that arenas are kryptonite to 24/7 neighborhood vitality, which is why Ford Field and Comerica are surrounded by parking lots, and why the neighborhood is completely dead except when there's an event [[so 95% of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Visit a functioning city and you'll understand that arenas are kryptonite to 24/7 neighborhood vitality, which is why Ford Field and Comerica are surrounded by parking lots, and why the neighborhood is completely dead except when there's an event [[so 95% of the time).

Awww, Bham hasn't been to New York [[Midtown, Bronx, or Brooklyn), Boston, Baltimore, DC, or north Chicago yet... I feel bad for the guy.

Although he did just call Detroit a functioning city by accident.

P.s. surface parking and stadia need not always accompany each other. Detroit has made its choice with spineless land use dictates acceding to pathetic Illitch plans, otherwise we could have already had buildings and usage along Woodward by CoPa [[which were only recently semi-promised by Illitch as part of "the district.") All the parking could be decked on a block or two if we wanted. Check out Minneapolis' Target Field/Arena area for a nice example of consolidated parking which leaves room for the rest of their downtown neighborhood to breathe.

Would you be happier if they opened an Applebees in the parking lot?
    No, that's the whole point here. There are a handful of restaurants and bars near the Palace, but what makes downtown appealing is the variety of venues and opportunities for social interaction before and after the games. When you leave Comerica, Ford Field, or the Joe you have tons of options of places to go and things to do to extend your night. At the Palace, you sit in your car for 20 minutes and hit the freeway.

Case in point: opening day for the Tigers is a huge party downtown. I don't care for it myself, but that doesn't stop thousands of people from coming downtown to hit the bars [[and surface parking lots) even if they're not attending the game. Or during the playoffs, people come downtown just to be a part of the action. They will watch the games in a bar down the street from the stadium to feel the excitement and camaraderie of fellow fans. You can't really do that at the Palace because of the giant surface parking lot moat that surrounds the venue.

If this doesn't make sense to you, I don't think you understand people.

Who cares? The Palace is often the highest grossing venue in the U.S. Would you be happier if they opened an Applebees in the parking lot?

Don't apply your weird prejudices [[You apparently only like arenas if there is a restaurant or bar next to the front entrance) to draw conclusions about consumer preferences. The highest grossing arenas, generally speaking, are in stand-alone sites, no different than the Palace.

Yeah, obviously you can go wherever the hell you want. Everyone drives downtown to the stadia, and gets caught in traffic, just as to the Palace. There's no difference, except some people like you who don't understand cities like the contrived theme park aspect of downtown arenas.

Is Birmingham considered a functioning city troll st. troll?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2