Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Back in the 1980s yes, many people were against the thought of moving their loved ones from the cemeteries. That's partly because so many folks still lived nearby.

I recently asked my brother-in-law... he said he would be thrilled if they paid to have his grandparents dug up from Gethsemane and re-interred near his parents at Holy Sepulchre in Troy.

So many folks have left Detroit... that I don't think they would mind as much any more if their loved ones were moved out as well... a sad scenario, but true...
    My grandparents are buried in Gethsemane in the portion that would have been removed. I wouldn't want them moved because they chose to be buried there and I feel that so many of these people exaggerate the danger. Realistically you're not going to get shot visiting a loved one. When my wife and parents died in the late 80's and early 90's I did have them buried at Elmwood but that had more to do with me being uncertain about the future of Gethsemane due to the airport. The city would have to deal with a situation they don't want to get into. City Airport serves a purpose but commercial service isn't realistically a part of it.
    Last edited by Ben; January-11-15 at 07:28 PM.