Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Black Ice

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Why buy that kind of car unless you can put it storage until spring if you cannot drive it in this kind of winter icy/ snow scene!?
    Because rear wheel drive works well if you have the right tires and weight distribution, and know how to handle a car in weather. 4 wheel drive is best but I've only put it in 4 wheel 2 or 3 times and that was last winter. When I took drivers ed back in the day all cars were rear drive [[like most have been for the last 100 years or so) and we learned how to read road conditions and recognize an incipient skid or spin. My kids weren't allowed on the road until they could do it, too.

I stay away from younger drivers in entry-level cars when the weather is bad, and haven't had a problem.

Good points. I learned how to drive back when rear-wheel drive was standard and had little problem. Too many people not driving properly whatever their wheel configuration and folks driving on bald tires. Many never use their low gears to help get out when stuck, opting instead to cook their tranny. I used to drive stick-shift cars for years so I apply as much of that to my auto-tran where I can. I use my over-drive here and there in the snow. The fish-tailing I see out of most rear-wheel drive car is driver fault, usually going to fast and not controlling their engine torque. While texting too possibly......

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Because rear wheel drive works well if you have the right tires and weight distribution, and know how to handle a car in weather. 4 wheel drive is best but I've only put it in 4 wheel 2 or 3 times and that was last winter. When I took drivers ed back in the day all cars were rear drive [[like most have been for the last 100 years or so) and we learned how to read road conditions and recognize an incipient skid or spin. My kids weren't allowed on the road until they could do it, too.

I stay away from younger drivers in entry-level cars when the weather is bad, and haven't had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post

Very few manufacturers, that still make rear wheel drive cars, pay attention to the 50/50 weight distribution ratio. [[Mazda Miata is one that comes to mind immediately) Front wheel drive is far superior for adverse conditions. Engine and transmission weight over drive wheels, and your pulling the rest of the weight and not pushing the load in front of you trying to steer it. This is why most manufacturers have switched to front wheel from rear wheel drive.

4 wheel drive works when it's "real time" 4 wheel drive. In other words, going into a turn, the 2 inside wheels slow down to match the 2 outside wheels. That concept = traction. [[Audi and Subaru are the 2 that come to mind immediately) Most 4 wheel drive vehicles, especially trucks, are designed for straight line driving [[and pulling stumps out), in that respect, they work very well.

Kudos on teaching your kids proper driving habits.