Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default East Jordan MI Freedom Farm 1970

Hello from a very strange yet wonderful time in our lives!
    If you are reading this post and you know about this farm we are looking to communicate with you.
    This year will be the 45th anniversary of a summer many of us would consider life changing. We are trying to possibly hold a reunion in East Jordan this summer.
    We hope to hear from you via this site or Facebook! Or good old fashioned telephone! Even though the title reads East Jordan MI many of you are from Detroit or surrounding area's . There is a East Jordan Freedom Farm FB page that has just been started. Hope to hear from you.

My favorite shared event from that time period was Sunday morning church service in bare feet! I hope one of you can continue this story with how we got to church.

Name:  East Jordan Freedom Farm.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  61.9 KB!

Peace!

Okay , maybe this will shake some memories, there was a band from the Detroit area called "Shiva". This band often visited the farm and played there in a huge 3 story barn. Some band members names were Tony, Pam and Forest. Also many of their friends visited.

Isle, you and I have a connection that you know I don't do F.Book. I'm a little out of the loop, but did you live at that farmhouse. I was around at that time, but I don't remember it. For all I know, I might have lived there for a few months or gone to a party there one night. The grass, trees, bushes, bricks and roof look familiar, but other than that, I have no memories.

Where is that at? North of Detroit?

Hi, old guy,
    This was near Charlevoix MI / East Jordan MI. You could have gotten a ride to this location from downstate . I was not there all the time as I traveled east that summer with 3 other people for many weeks. So, yes, you could have been there and I could have never seen you. Normally anyone who had been there would remember the wholesome homemade wheat bread and the climb up to the rooftop of the three story barn [[The view was spectacular if you could handle the climb).
    This was a common style for many a farm houses, seems to me there was another farm near Mt. Clemens that was similar, as well as one in AA/Ypsi and Hell MI. [[these were all some type of commune or hippie houses).
    The crowd that visited here lived in Detroit, Berkley, Southfield , and Standish. Many stayed for weeks and months at a time, so there was quite a diversified mix. Many of the locals thought we were trouble, similar to the Gar Wood. Well you know what happened , mix and mingle with a little good stuff and all was at peace.
    We have found a few people and we are just starting to communicate. The time period for this was from June to October 1970. Many left to go to Goose Lake and never returned.

FB is great for me to communicate with bands and events in our area more then anything, plus I am a scrabble fanatic . You can still use that information that I sent you , or e-mail me and I will resend it. Good to hear from you, hope you are getting some of this milder winter like us.
    What amazed us was the recent Zillow pictures of this property show hardly any change in 44 years.

Happy to say we have found a few people which we are sure will lead to finding others.
    We all learned a great deal about ourselves, and we are laughing about that now. I still need to find a picture of a 2 story barn with a huge cupola on top. Wow, that just reminded me that there was also a rope swing in that barn. Hope to hear from more freedom farmers. Thanks for opening this post!.