Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Willi Guest

Default Frozen Burst Pipes or let it drip ?

With DWSD under intense scrutiny, will it be cheaper to let some sites drip and avoid the burst case, worst case, scenario ?

What a bureaucratic mess. On the local end, in my house I am letting my kitchen sink on an outside wall drip a bit. Had pipes replaced after old copper burst last winter despite letting it drip. Have plastic now but still not taking any chances... drip-drip.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-08-15 at 02:17 PM.

I had a frozen pipe on an exterior wall last winter.

So I let it drip. This allowed the DRAIN pipe to freeze, which is much more difficult to remedy than supply pipes.

Sure makes me glad I moved to Las Vegas. 70 and sunny today. But y'all don't need that......shame on me........

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I had a frozen pipe on an exterior wall last winter.

So I let it drip. This allowed the DRAIN pipe to freeze, which is much more difficult to remedy than supply pipes.

I let drip too since I moved to an old house where I had frozen pipes last year just at the entrance. I also had the pipes changed to pex but I won't take a chance. It was minus 18˚F last night nd when I left for work a city water main had broken at the end of my block and the cops were directing traffic. Everything looked back to normal when I got home tonight but Iguess some folks got some basements flooded.

It was so bloody cold today in Montreal.

Thanks for reminding me I'm still in the witch's teat Ray1936.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...rs-gale-crater

According to figures from Nasa, parts of the northern United States are currently experiencing temperatures considerably colder than those on Mars.

The high “air” temperature on Mars, according to the latest data from Nasa’s Curiosity Rover, occurring in the Gale crater near the Red Planet’s equator, hit a balmy daytime high of 17.6F [[-8C).

This means that, comparing day for day, Mars was nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than Chicago on Thursday, and almost 12 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Sure makes me glad I moved to Las Vegas. 70 and sunny today. But y'all don't need that......shame on me........
    Thanks Ray sounds nice, you southeners/westerners can be counted of to share your winter weather. Did I ever tell you about the time when I was kid heading to CA on my motorcycle and stopped for a spectacularly priced prime rib meal and a few hands of cards? When I got back to the bike the speedometer had melted into useless. It was 114 degrees, I pointed that bike at the ocean and never let off the throttle.