Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 48 ... LastLast

I agree with CrashDummy. The "core" including the arena, seems to be past 3rd base. But the rest of the huge project will, as I think they said, fill in over the next year or so. Olympia said that work on the various parts of the project would be more or less simultaneous, but that doesn't mean that they'll finish at the same time.

One thought I had: if they ever wanted to substantially renovate or make changes to the arena, it would be more complicated because it will be more or less "landlocked" inside the perimeter buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    Attachment 33449
    This map is about a year or so old, but it seems to be pretty spot on for what is supposed to be finished this year. The cleared area west of the business school and the rest of the blue buildings are scheduled to be completed next year, so they should theoretically be started pretty soon, especially since framing on the business school and LCP headquarters is nearing completion. The building immediately west of the SoB does not look like a parking garage, but who knows. The one across Temple could be, though.

One interesting thing about this map, though, is that the Eddystone seems to have a twin at the north end of the block and possibly a triplet in between them [[block 9). The building west of those on Cass might possibly be a parking garage, at least in part. That would make sense if the Eddystone is turned into a residential complex and for the fact that it looks like there is a driveway leading into it.
    The two larger blue blocks on both sides of the Eddystone just scream parking garage with ground floor retail.

Not a new story, but now that a lot of the i's have been dotted and t's crossed for the next phase of the Ilitches' work, I do wonder what will happen with those houses by Cass/Temple.

The house was bought for a cool 25K 15 years ago and now the asking price has risen to 5M.

This is a great game of chicken. Does the Ilitch org want it, yes. Is it absolutely necessary, no.

How much is it really worth?

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/3/22...house-for-sale

^^
    Barring any shady standover tacktics, the market will determine exactly what it's worth. IMO, like any high profile legal situation, the deal will likely be settled under some confidentially agreement. In this way, the owners get what they want and the buyers keep face.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    ^^
    Barring any shady standover tacktics, the market will determine exactly what it's worth. IMO, like any high profile legal situation, the deal will likely be settled under some confidentially agreement. In this way, the owners get what they want and the buyers keep face.
    https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/3/22...house-for-sale

Maybe yes; maybe no.

I remember this story, among others [[there were others in Atlantic City, etc.).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010061706136

My advice [[and I'm not in real estate):

Look at the sale values, to the degree possible, of other parcels around the LCA arena and try to evaluate based if the site is central or tangent to the LCA project [[so far it seems tangent, it hasn't stopped development).

Price accordingly. This house isn't located at center ice / center court. It would make a nice parking garage. LOL. Or maybe site of a Little Caesars Pizza store. Lol.

BTW, Midtown has coffee places but how about pizza places? Little Caesars anyone?
    Last edited by emu steve; May-28-17 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

Price accordingly. This house isn't located at center ice / center court. It would make a nice parking garage. LOL. Or maybe site of a Little Caesars Pizza store. Lol.

BTW, Midtown has coffee places but how about pizza places? Little Caesars anyone?
    You are correct, only a few pizza joints, but please no, no Little Caesars. A local wood-fired pizza pub would be perfect, but no chain Little Caesars. It'll be in the arena, they'll have it at the HQ. Go local, small-business stuff for that.

With what 550 housing units announced Friday near the LCA, one has to wonder what commercial developers are thinking.

Suddenly the area between say Cass/Fisher/Brush/Mack will have a lot of housing units. This part of Midtown is basically becoming a small town.

^^
    There has got to be demand to quickly mop up any excess and I don't believe it's totally speculative.

Example.
    2.5 years ago, I lost a bid on a property in this area to a cash offer. Same property is now up for sale at almost 100% the price back then and I'm sure it will sell. The new high water mark is rapidly approaching $300/sq and developers know this. Furthermore, most are not for sale but rather for rent and if The Scott is any indication, they will rent out quickly.

The question now remains. Who is moving in? Young professionals, students, empty nesters?, I don't know but I can say that my tenant prefers walking or biking to work without the hassle, inconvenience and expense of owning a vehicle. IMO, that's the major motivation.

It's really too bad that coinciding with the opening of the new arena, and associated construction, the Wings, Pistons and Tigers are all hitting the skids at the same time. I can't remember when that last happened. I think people will be surprised how many empty seats there are for Pistons games in the new rink. The organization really has the players visible downtown this off-season trying to promote the team but won't be a substitute for winning.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    ^^
    There has got to be demand to quickly mop up any excess and I don't believe it's totally speculative.

Example.
    2.5 years ago, I lost a bid on a property in this area to a cash offer. Same property is now up for sale at almost 100% the price back then and I'm sure it will sell. The new high water mark is rapidly approaching $300/sq and developers know this. Furthermore, most are not for sale but rather for rent and if The Scott is any indication, they will rent out quickly.

The question now remains. Who is moving in? Young professionals, students, empty nesters?, I don't know but I can say that my tenant prefers walking or biking to work without the hassle, inconvenience and expense of owning a vehicle. IMO, that's the major motivation.
    I don't think over supply on the residential side is necessarily a bad thing should it happen. [[Note: I still think even once Illitch and Gilberts projects open, we will still be under supply, but for discussion let's say it becomes over supply).

If there is downtown over supply of residential, prices come down making units more affordable to starving artists, fresh out of college types, etc. this is a good thing in some ways, because it keeps the momentum of bringing young people here over other places. One of the recent mantras to young people has been "live and do things in Detroit instead, because Chicago, New York, etc. are too expensive". And that truth has brought a lot of creative people here. An over supply of residential keeps that going, which is not a bad worst case scenario to have...

My comment would be:

I understand and agree with your points, Atticus.

My only caveat is that the rental 'price point' [[or whatever the best term is) will determine if the area gets mostly rehabs OR if it gets a lot of new construction.

The lower the average rent the more the 'new' housing units will be in rehab buildings.

If rents remain high, then there probably will be more new construction as the rent is high enough to justify the construction.

And, of course, we are talking different target consumers. The Scot is high end housing while I'd expect the Hotel American to be much less so.

But, of course, this is what the city WANTS. It wants $2,500 / month rentals and $750 / month rentals. It doesn't want 'yuppieland' with only high income tenants.

The mayor made it very clear Friday that the city wants income diversity in people living in the four rehabs. [[as I understand it, the two new construction buildings don't have direct tax credits and will all be market rate).
    Last edited by emu steve; May-29-17 at 08:54 AM.

Taking a clue from the title of this thread:

On September 23 the first hockey game to be played at LCA.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...ins/102624854/
    Last edited by emu steve; June-09-17 at 11:36 AM.

In a video tweeted out by Bill Shea yesterday there is discussion of an organ at LCA. I do not know the context around the discussion or if it was a joke. I would be happy to see this throwback to the original six era though if one was included. Can anyone confirm that there will be an organ at LCA?

I know recently Winnipeg added an old school organ to their arena as well.

Check out @Bill_Shea19's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Bill_Shea19/stat...821132293?s=09

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's really too bad that coinciding with the opening of the new arena, and associated construction, the Wings, Pistons and Tigers are all hitting the skids at the same time. I can't remember when that last happened. I think people will be surprised how many empty seats there are for Pistons games in the new rink. The organization really has the players visible downtown this off-season trying to promote the team but won't be a substitute for winning.
    Yes, what a quirk.

We'll see how the Pistons do in free agency. Not sure of their cap space.

Tigers have little chance to do anything radical because of their bloated payroll.

An organ would be awesome. Obviously, there is some history with organs in hockey, but I also LOVE what the Atlanta Hawks do with their organ. The organist there will play popular hip hop songs and it sounds amazing.

And I'm serious here, how about installing a Hammond B3?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And I'm serious here, how about installing a Hammond B3?
    A Northrop B2 makes a nice sound too.

Hopefully they leave the cassette tape that has Cotton Eye Joe in the old arena.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    A Northrop B2 makes a nice sound too.
    Yes, but it only plays the fight song.

Just a scheduling thought -

I noticed that Arcade Fire set a November date at WFCU Centre in Windsor. Last time they were in Detroit they played the Palace - I was there and it probably had about 14-15k in attendance. Not sold out, but large crowd. WFCU only seats 6,500 or so.

Two days before they are in Windsor they play in Minneapolis at their 20k arena. The next couple days they play in Toronto at their 20k arena. They basically play a ton of 20k arenas on the tour. Undoubtedly, they are popular enough to justify playing at a large arena.

I'm curious if this is a situation where the lack of available big arena space is preventing a rather large show from occurring. With the Palace and Joe seemingly done - and I'm sure LCA very tightly scheduled - it seems possible. If my theory is right, I hope it doesn't scare off some bigger acts...it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

For the record - it's entirely plausible there is another reason they are playing a smaller venue. I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Just a scheduling thought -

I noticed that Arcade Fire set a November date at WFCU Centre in Windsor. Last time they were in Detroit they played the Palace - I was there and it probably had about 14-15k in attendance. Not sold out, but large crowd. WFCU only seats 6,500 or so.

Two days before they are in Windsor they play in Minneapolis at their 20k arena. The next couple days they play in Toronto at their 20k arena. They basically play a ton of 20k arenas on the tour. Undoubtedly, they are popular enough to justify playing at a large arena.

I'm curious if this is a situation where the lack of available big arena space is preventing a rather large show from occurring. With the Palace and Joe seemingly done - and I'm sure LCA very tightly scheduled - it seems possible. If my theory is right, I hope it doesn't scare off some bigger acts...it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

For the record - it's entirely plausible there is another reason they are playing a smaller venue. I'm just curious.
    They're Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    They're Canadian.
    I know. But then why didn't they play WFCU instead of the Palace a few years back? And are they really willing to give up tens of thousands of dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I know. But then why didn't they play WFCU instead of the Palace a few years back? And are they really willing to give up tens of thousands of dollars?
    Apparently so.

Curious if the goal horn will remain the same? Love that sound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Curious if the goal horn will remain the same? Love that sound!!!
    It better dammit! If they change it I'd be pretty pissed.

Also a thought I had. The Wings in their storied history have only retired a handful of numbers. The jerseys in the rafters are reserved for legends and Hall of Fame members. I've always looked up to the rafters of the Joe and admired those men for being some of the greatest of all time. Unfortunately the Pistons have been just a bit more liberal with retiring numbers. And when I say liberal, I believe there are now only about 6 numbers new players have to choose from and they are planning on retiring George Blaha's suit coat and Hooper's costume soon. Now that the Pistons will be sharing the arena, I'll have to explain to my son why there's only a few Wings jerseys while the Pistons have about 90% of their all time rosters retired.

Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 48 ... LastLast