Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 ... LastLast

The people whining about the LED roof I really do not get. When the heck are you even gonna see that thing? 1 or 2 neat blimp shots a game? I don't know about you but I spend most of the time at street level, can't see the roof anyways.

Yeah, how come we couldn't get a classy name, like the Amway Center in Orlando!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    The people whining about the LED roof I really do not get. When the heck are you even gonna see that thing? 1 or 2 neat blimp shots a game? I don't know about you but I spend most of the time at street level, can't see the roof anyways.
    I think it's more about the bait and switch nature of the thing. Seems like they only put it on for the shock and awe. Once the city approved it and gave them some money, down it came.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Maybe one was expecting granite pillars and golden doors... I think It's too early to call yet.
    This isn't Trump Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I am willing to wait until they are finished to judge. I think that Orleans Landing did something similar and it looks incredibly contrived, but the finished look of this may be of a higher quality. At least I hope. All of the flyovers and renderings look ok to me.
    Yeah, I would look at the renderings and if what we see now is consistent.

1. Didn't they determine the LED roof was too heavy? So we're complaining about something that is structurally impossible. If lights on an arena roof changing is considered bait and switch, we have it made in the sun.

2. At least Little Caesars is a local company with direct ties to the team, and not FedEx or something. And some of us aren't too high falootin' to eat a fast, cheap pizza from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Totally agree. And as critical as I've been of various aspects of the arena and the way it's been funded, architecturally inspiring or not, I agree at least partially surrounding it with mid-rises that [[are or appear to) open to the neighborhood is much better than the monolithic walls that surround most others.

We'll see if anything useful goes in there. Street level retail was promised for the Barclays Center. Despite its giant advantage sitting in the middle of an already dense commercial and residential district, the only uses that ever materialized were an office for the local TV station that broadcasts the games, a store that sells overpriced sports memorabilia, and a Starbucks so small it has room for no more than a bench for seating inside the store. Of these three only the Starbucks is open when a game isn't happening. Hopefully the arena will do better than that.
    Last edited by bust; January-12-17 at 02:17 PM.

The Little Caesar's isn't "prestigious" enough thing is just dumb. It's a billion dollar business just like any other that gets to slap its name an arena.

Ford Field figured out a way to light it's roof, LCA should be able to also

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Ford Field figured out a way to light it's roof, LCA should be able to also
    I think the LCA will still be lit by spotlights or whatever, just not a giant LED screen that can only be seen from blimps.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Yeah, how come we couldn't get a classy name, like the Amway Center in Orlando!
    Off topic,when they were building that place there was a old lady that had a flop house that was vacant from the 70s,she would not give in and it became the city trying to steal a little old ladies house ordeal.

She ended up getting 3 million for a 30,000 house at best.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    The Little Caesar's isn't "prestigious" enough thing is just dumb. It's a billion dollar business just like any other that gets to slap its name an arena.
    I like the deep dish pizza. Pizzas are near and dear to me heart, certainly more than Metlife, FedEx, etc.

As long as it ain't no "Little Seizures Arena", should be Okay.

Looking west from Adelaide Street on Jan. 11...
    Name:  Red wings area jan 2017.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  75.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I like the fact that the office building will [[mostly) conceal the arena, unless, of course, one is looking down with a drone.

But since most of us don't own drones...
    Last edited by emu steve; January-14-17 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    LC is an extreme discount food provider. It has $5 large pizzas, which is cheaper than a large frozen pizza at WalMart.

So, yeah, it isn't prestigious, and it sounds a lot worse than having a reputable, normal company as the arena name. Something like Metlife Arena or Chase Park sounds a lot classier.

Metlife Arena sounds classier? Surely you must be trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    LC is an extreme discount food provider. It has $5 large pizzas, which is cheaper than a large frozen pizza at WalMart.

So, yeah, it isn't prestigious, and it sounds a lot worse than having a reputable, normal company as the arena name. Something like Metlife Arena or Chase Park sounds a lot classier.
    Yeah, totally agree. I wish we didn't have to rely on corporate names but sorry there's some that have cache and others that are embarrassing and sound redic.

I used to hear complaints about how there was a lack of development in Detroit. Now we complain about the name posted on one of the biggest bonanzas to hit the city in years.

Here's an idea, let's petition a "prestigious" company, regardless of their connection or heritage to Detroit, and have them buy the naming rights to LCA or better still, take on the task of building something to name themselves. Until then, that's the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Metlife Arena sounds classier? Surely you must be trolling.
    Given that Metlife is a 150 year old company active around the globe, the go-to insurer for the Fortune 500, and one of the largest and most prestigious firms on the planet, I can assure you I'm not trolling.

Comparing LC to Metlife is like comparing a 99 cent store to Neiman Marcus.

Maybe we need a 'thread' [[no, no, no) to rank arena names [[worst to best?):

Amway, LCA, Staples, Verizon, etc.

To me, doesn't matter...

Detroit will have LCA. Louisville [[football) has Papa Johns stadium.

At least Ford Field is one of the better names for a sponsored stadium/arena.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I used to hear complaints about how there was a lack of development in Detroit. Now we complain about the name posted on one of the biggest bonanzas to hit the city in years.

Here's an idea, let's petition a "prestigious" company, regardless of their connection or heritage to Detroit, and have them buy the naming rights to LCA or better still, take on the task of building something to name themselves. Until then, that's the way it is
    That isn't a valid argument or comparison. Nobody is saying that they would oppose the development because of the name, so it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

It's ok to say that the name or signage could be better. That doesn't mean that the person thinks that the whole thing should be destroyed. Think of it like not liking the new paint or bedsheets that your husband/wife picked out. You might complain about it a little, and say that you would prefer a different color, but you don't go file for divorce because you don't like the new paint in the living room.

Apparently there's an announcement coming this morning regarding yet another franchise moving into LCA. Announcement coming in about an hour, any guesses as to who or what this could be? Possibly a return of the Detroit Drive?

This is a GREAT shot , however I can forsee [[sp) Parking being a issue in that area very soon.
    People aren't going to want to pay $20.00+ dollars to park and will be looking all over the place for street parking. I hope the city has thought about this. I would hate to live anywhere near the arena during an event.
    When I lived in LA we had permit parking all over the place. I can see this happening in the area around the LCA .
    I lived near the Hollywood bowl and hated when there was something going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Last edited by Detroitdave; January-19-17 at 12:36 PM.

Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 ... LastLast