Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 42 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

As long as it ain't no "Little Seizures Arena", should be Okay.

Looking west from Adelaide Street on Jan. 11...
    Name:  Red wings area jan 2017.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  75.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I like the fact that the office building will [[mostly) conceal the arena, unless, of course, one is looking down with a drone.

But since most of us don't own drones...
    Last edited by emu steve; January-14-17 at 01:00 PM.

This is a GREAT shot , however I can forsee [[sp) Parking being a issue in that area very soon.
    People aren't going to want to pay $20.00+ dollars to park and will be looking all over the place for street parking. I hope the city has thought about this. I would hate to live anywhere near the arena during an event.
    When I lived in LA we had permit parking all over the place. I can see this happening in the area around the LCA .
    I lived near the Hollywood bowl and hated when there was something going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Last edited by Detroitdave; January-19-17 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I hope the city has thought about this. I would hate to live anywhere near the arena during an event.
    Everyone who knows anything about urban planning has been saying this for years. Arenas are terrible for neighborhood livability. That's why, in healthy cities, they're traditionally placed away from urban residential neighborhoods.

If you live in those townhouses across Woodward, there is absolutely no benefit to a flood of honking horns every few days, during evening rush hour, no less. You're basically a prisoner in your home, watching suburban fatties scream, litter and urinate in your bushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Everyone who knows anything about urban planning has been saying this for years. Arenas are terrible for neighborhood livability. That's why, in healthy cities, they're traditionally placed away from urban residential neighborhood.
    I guess that explains the residential tower building boom around the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    I guess that explains the residential tower building boom around the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston.
    No, it explains your inability to distinguish between correlation and causation.

The fact that buildings are built around an arena does not "prove" that the arena made a positive contribution to the neighborhood, or "caused" the construction of said buildings.

I used to live near a Brooklyn jail, which is now surrounded by superluxury condo developments. We talking $2 million 2-bedrooms, just a few feet from prisoners. The jail is a net-negative to the neighborhood, and didn't cause the luxury construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Everyone who knows anything about urban planning has been saying this for years. Arenas are terrible for neighborhood livability. That's why, in healthy cities, they're traditionally placed away from urban residential neighborhoods.

If you live in those townhouses across Woodward, there is absolutely no benefit to a flood of honking horns every few days, during evening rush hour, no less. You're basically a prisoner in your home, watching suburban fatties scream, litter and urinate in your bushes.
    What does this say about the Eddystone?

Did you [[Bham1982) argue for saving the Eddystone? Or did you indicate that it is 'incompatible' [[or similar sentiments) next to a large arena?

Speaking for me, I would not be interested in living in any of those new residential units or the Eddystone.

Maybe three or four blocks away, but not one... [[on one QLine stop).
    Last edited by emu steve; January-31-17 at 10:01 AM.

This is a GREAT shot , however I can forsee [[sp) Parking being a issue in that area very soon.
    People aren't going to want to pay $20.00+ dollars to park and will be looking all over the place for street parking. I hope the city has thought about this. I would hate to live anywhere near the arena during an event.
    When I lived in LA we had permit parking all over the place. I can see this happening in the area around the LCA .
    Only suckers pay $20 to park. There are numerous $10 lots/garages nearby and the MGM garage is free. Cars parked on the street past the time limit are ticketed now, which is $40, so it would make no sense to even try looking. The only free street parking I'm aware of now is in Brush Park.

http://www.districtdetroit.com/live-web-cam

The steel is now rising for the residential building just west of the arena. I'm glad this building wasn't put on hold! Are they progressing with the townhomes along Clifford Street?

Metlife Arena sounds classier? Surely you must be trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Metlife Arena sounds classier? Surely you must be trolling.
    Given that Metlife is a 150 year old company active around the globe, the go-to insurer for the Fortune 500, and one of the largest and most prestigious firms on the planet, I can assure you I'm not trolling.

Comparing LC to Metlife is like comparing a 99 cent store to Neiman Marcus.

I used to hear complaints about how there was a lack of development in Detroit. Now we complain about the name posted on one of the biggest bonanzas to hit the city in years.

Here's an idea, let's petition a "prestigious" company, regardless of their connection or heritage to Detroit, and have them buy the naming rights to LCA or better still, take on the task of building something to name themselves. Until then, that's the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I used to hear complaints about how there was a lack of development in Detroit. Now we complain about the name posted on one of the biggest bonanzas to hit the city in years.

Here's an idea, let's petition a "prestigious" company, regardless of their connection or heritage to Detroit, and have them buy the naming rights to LCA or better still, take on the task of building something to name themselves. Until then, that's the way it is
    That isn't a valid argument or comparison. Nobody is saying that they would oppose the development because of the name, so it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

It's ok to say that the name or signage could be better. That doesn't mean that the person thinks that the whole thing should be destroyed. Think of it like not liking the new paint or bedsheets that your husband/wife picked out. You might complain about it a little, and say that you would prefer a different color, but you don't go file for divorce because you don't like the new paint in the living room.

Maybe we need a 'thread' [[no, no, no) to rank arena names [[worst to best?):

Amway, LCA, Staples, Verizon, etc.

To me, doesn't matter...

Detroit will have LCA. Louisville [[football) has Papa Johns stadium.

At least Ford Field is one of the better names for a sponsored stadium/arena.

Apparently there's an announcement coming this morning regarding yet another franchise moving into LCA. Announcement coming in about an hour, any guesses as to who or what this could be? Possibly a return of the Detroit Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Apparently there's an announcement coming this morning regarding yet another franchise moving into LCA. Announcement coming in about an hour, any guesses as to who or what this could be? Possibly a return of the Detroit Drive?
    Just Kid Rock everybody. We can all go home now.

Sorry but when can we let go of Kid Rock and Eminem?

Four kid Rock shows to open the building!!!!! LMAO Thank Goodness they had a press conference for this.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789 View Post
    Four kid Rock shows to open the building!!!!! LMAO Thank Goodness they had a press conference for this.
    Kid Rock opening the Pizza Pizza Park. At least they didn't go with a monster truck rally?

Keep it classy, Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789 View Post
    Lmao... Typical Ilitch bs

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Lmao... Typical Ilitch bs

The more I hear Chris talk, the more convinced I am that he is going to turn out to be a real donkey. There is absolutely no accountability in the Red Wings organization anymore. Management operates as if there is no ownership group to answer to at this time. Should be real interesting to see if the hockey teams downward spiral continues, how long will it take to make some actual changes.

It's a pretty standard operating procedure now to open these new arenas with big musical acts. I think Jay Z did Barclay's in Brooklyn awhile back. Either way, a press conference to announce it is pretty lame.

People aren't going to want to pay $20.00+ dollars to park and will be look all over the place for street parking. I hope the city has thought about this. I would hate to live anywhere near the arena during an event.
    You're right. Most streets on this side of Woodward have no parking restrictions and it always got busy during events in the past. Luckily for condo owners at Crosswinds, they have 1 or 2 parking spots allocated in private garages with additional parking directly behind.

That's going to be a residential building? Squeezed between a garage and an arena. Yikes.

Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 42 ... LastLast