Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 40 ... LastLast

BTW, I don't like the parking garage behind the Fox. The color is too white. Poor choice of colors.

I hate colors which stand out like a sore thumb.

What is the plan for all the abandoned buildings surround the arena? Everything south except Cass Tech and the Masonic Temple is pretty much empty. There is no way people will live in residential there if those buildings are not torn down or fixed up. It would also be interesting to see people parking next to a new arena for an event and seeing abandoned buildings across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Emu_steve.... are you sure you're not related to the Ilitch's??
    Still betting on nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    What is the plan for all the abandoned buildings surround the arena? Everything south except Cass Tech and the Masonic Temple is pretty much empty. There is no way people will live in residential there if those buildings are not torn down or fixed up. It would also be interesting to see people parking next to a new arena for an event and seeing abandoned buildings across the street.
    Indeed. I believe the Ilitiches [[and maybe others) have been buying up property 'west of Cass' with that very same thoughts in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Still betting on nephew.
    Mentor. I taught him how to make pizza. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I hope this doesn't foreshadow a campaign from the Ilitches to renege on their promise to rehabilitate the Eddystone, like so many [[myself included) predicted.

The Park Ave sure came down quick.
    I'm fairly sure they can't get out of the redevelopment deal. It was part of the deal they signed with the city that stated the building had to be rehabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I'm fairly sure they can't get out of the redevelopment deal. It was part of the deal they signed with the city that stated the building had to be rehabbed.
    Why not, they got out of the deal to build on the Madison Lenox site? That was supposed to be built on by now.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Mentor. I taught him how to make pizza. Lol.
    Wish you would have taught them how to make better pizza. :P

The Eddystone is beautiful and the white garage behind the Fox is among the best looking garages one can hope so. Oh, and EMUsteve is an irritation of a person.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    The Eddystone is beautiful and the white garage behind the Fox is among the best looking garages one can hope so. Oh, and EMUsteve is an irritation of a person.
    Maybe I just like buildings which have harmony in terms of color.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Maybe I just like buildings which have harmony in terms of color.
    You must really hate the Guardian Building then. That thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Fox theater garage? try this instead
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1111_Lincoln_Road

Does anyone notice anything odd here? Such as the lack of color coordination on Park Ave?

http://detroit1701.org/Blenheim%20Bu...l#.V5p96vkrKUl

Mixing the old with the new, as far as buildings go is part of the American heritage.... and really not worthy of a debate.... but do carry on....

Does anyone notice anything odd here? Such as the lack of color coordination on Park Ave?

http://detroit1701.org/Blenheim%20Bu...l#.V5p96vkrKUl

Mixing the old with the new, as far as buildings go is part of the American heritage.... and really not worthy of a debate.... but do carry on....
    Ha. His line of argument doesn't warrant a serious response. It's a false premise the buildings should be uniform in the first place. And even if that were the case, he blames the landmark that's stood there for almost a century, not the new project, for not matching?
    Last edited by bust; July-29-16 at 02:55 AM.

Sorry, hybridy -- I know 111 Lincoln Road, and I think its ugly.

To each their own

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Fox theater garage? try this instead
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1111_Lincoln_Road
    $65 million cost for only 300 car spots!!

The Detroit Opera House's $28 million garage has room for 1100 cars.... that's about 10 cents on the dollar [[per spot) compared to Miami....

$65 million cost for only 300 car spots!!

The Detroit Opera House's $28 million garage has room for 1100 cars.... that's about 10 cents on the dollar [[per spot) compared to Miami....
    gistok as one may appreciate architecture, herzog's garage serves multiple purposes. it is home to galleries, an event space, and even residential. it is an attraction outside of parking, thus generating income multiple ways...something similar to the z garage

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...ops-Over-I-75/

a lot of AMAZING updates in this article from today. highlights:

1. the diversity of the design of the building lining woodward is an AWESOME idea. Makes it feel like it is 3 separate developments rather than one monolith complex

2. 2-STORY BULIDINGS OVER I-75 ... i reallllyy hope this happens, and they have an AGGRESSIVE timeline, stating they want the frames of the buildings to be complete by next summer when the arena opens
    "In turn, the company is working with the Michigan Department of Transportation, which maintains both Woodward and I-75 that passes south of the arena project, to determine the feasibility of adding a row of two-story buildings on either side of the overpass. If the structures are built, pedestrians and motorists passing over the Woodward overpass wouldn’t be able to see much, if any, of the freeway below.“We’re working with MDOT to see if we can do it, and then we would have to fund it, but the goal would be to have it framed in by the time [[the arena opens in September 2017),” Wilson says. “It could be restaurants, but more likely retail. The long-term vision would be to have a continuous retail and restaurant experience [[along Woodward) from Jefferson Avenue all the way to the arena and beyond it.”"

3. what we all already know.. the parking garage north of comerica is broken ground, and will be open by opening day next year [[still haven't heard if they're including ground floor retail in this development, having doubts now which would be a disappointment) regardless exciting stuff coming out!!

“We wanted the building to have beautiful contrasts and appear as if it has been there a long time,” says Tom Wilson, president of Olympia Development. “If you’re walking down Woodward when everything is done, you will see restaurants and retail stores on the first floor, and it will feel authentic to Detroit. If you’re looking at it from across the street, it will feel like you’re in a neighborhood that’s been there for decades.”

Anyone else see the irony in this statement?

Anyone else see the irony in this statement?
    Irony? No. Unless you are referring to your own statement, saying that a statement is ironic when it really isn't. That could be irony.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    Irony? No. Unless you are referring to your own statement, saying that a statement is ironic when it really isn't. That could be irony.
    The irony, young CrashDummy, could be in the fact that the Ilitches own several old buildings that they have not developed, or that they tore down an hotel that had been standing there for decades to make room for a loading dock, or that they tore down the Madison-Lennox Hotel which could have done wonders to make an area feel authentic/historic.

I'm not sure if Gistok is referring to all the things I'm talking about or just one of them, but anytime someone from the Ilitch organization says something about preserving a property or developing something to make it feel authentic, there are a number of instances where the Ilitches have failed to maintain or develop a property that would have given that area "authenticity." There in lies the irony in my opinion.
    Last edited by royce; August-11-16 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks for comprehending Royce.... maybe the irony is that he has read this whole thread including the bad as well as the good about the Ilitch's and doesn't understand that the they have torn down more than they have saved... and that he will... as the article quote says... "look at it from across the street, and to him he will feel like he's in a neighborhood that’s been there for decades.”

Any architect that can do that, is worthy of an AIA Award....
    Last edited by Gistok; August-11-16 at 12:59 AM.

and not ironically, I'm answering one of my own questions on the parking garage N. of Comerica Park [[although someone else confirmed it in the LC headquarters thread):

"In related news, Wilson says Olympia Development recently saw ground broken on a new, multilevel parking deck immediately north of Comerica Park. He says the goal is to open the deck in time for Opening Day next spring."

Just keep breaking ground.
    Palin wants to 'drill, baby, drill'; I want to 'dig, baby, dig'.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-11-16 at 06:12 AM.

In one of these threads, maybe not this one, the question was raised: Why doesn't Detroit bid for all of these NCAA championship events [[like they used too?)?

I thought the context was the Frozen Four, NCAA hockey tourney.

Excellent article which covers the topic very, very well...

The Detroit Sports Commission says they bid 54 championship events...

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...ncaa/88755152/
    Last edited by emu steve; August-15-16 at 05:16 PM.

Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 40 ... LastLast