Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 33 ... LastLast

Great pictures SpartanDawg! Did you take the from the Park and Eddystone Hotels?

Here are some ground level views from Wednesday. It is interesting how some street view will be dramatically changed by the project.

Here is the view looking west from Adelaide.

From the corner of Adelaide and Woodward.

The view north from Park with Colony Club on the right.

Nice street shots! It's pretty interesting to see how it's going to look from those perspectives.

That last shot makes me want a bridge for Park over the Chrysler. Is that in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    That last shot makes me want a bridge for Park over the Chrysler. Is that in the works?
    That would be a really cool addition if they ever came through on the idea to rebuild the Woodward bridge with room for buildings on either side. Just cap the freeway trench from Park to Woodward and add a Park connection. But I've never seen that as part of the proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Great pictures SpartanDawg! Did you take the from the Park and Eddystone Hotels?

Here are some ground level views from Wednesday. It is interesting how some street view will be dramatically changed by the project.

Here is the view looking west from Adelaide.

From the corner of Adelaide and Woodward.

The view north from Park with Colony Club on the right.
    WOW ! those are amazing shots ! the arena is really going to change that area forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    WOW ! those are amazing shots ! the arena is really going to change that area forever.
    Indeed. My reaction looking at them was "wow"!!

My guess is that in 2017 we'll see a bunch of 'postcard' shots like the one looking west with a choo choo passing by...

[[I'll be glad to come to Detroit and take the photo).

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    That would be a really cool addition if they ever came through on the idea to rebuild the Woodward bridge with room for buildings on either side. Just cap the freeway trench from Park to Woodward and add a Park connection. But I've never seen that as part of the proposal.
    Great idea. Perfect for a public-private partnership. The benefits would flow to both.

only issue in this would be the clearance for the NB 75 on ramp. Presumably, you could construct a ped bridge with a slight elevation change [[lift) and create some switchback sidewalk ramps in the service drive ROW.. I believe Park Street used to go through, but the bridge was pulled in the late 90s [[you can see where the old abutment was in the retaining walls and railings along the SB service drive.

I post regular updates of the construction to my blog here: http://wingsarena.tumblr.com

Since it looks like they are putting the concrete in place for the rows of seats, I will try to fly over again next weekend if the weather allows it.

While watching Flashpoint on Sunday morning . The guest was the head of Olympia and the guy in charge of the new area. They showed an animated video and it looked as if the walkway over I75 was covered ? did anyone else notice this?

I can already envision the promos for the sports networks once it's up and running with the M1 rail running right in front. That would be a very impressive picture for the country to see.

Also in other quick news. While out on a walk for lunch , it looks like the build out for the new Nike store and whatever they are putting on the corner of Gratiot and Woodward is moving along nicely.

They both look like a pretty decent size stores and two floors?

If you look closely ,the build out of the Gratiot and Woodward location, they have put up an awning similar to the ones they use for retail, so that's a good sign.

Also the rehab of the merchants row building is AMAZING ! The detail in that building with the lions heads and the clean white building really stands out. I never notice what a beautiful building it was until the clean up, check it out next time you guys are out and about.
    Last edited by Detroitdave; February-08-16 at 01:33 PM.

I think what you saw in that rendering was the proposed retail that might cross 75 on Woodward to make the transition from the stadium district to downtown more urban.

The space on Gratiot and Woodward was originally where the Restoration Hardware was supposed to go, I think Nike is further up the block from there. Either way though those two buildings looks fantastic although I wish Gilbert would restore the cornice for the building on the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I think what you saw in that rendering was the proposed retail that might cross 75 on Woodward to make the transition from the stadium district to downtown more urban.

The space on Gratiot and Woodward was originally where the Restoration Hardware was supposed to go, I think Nike is further up the block from there. Either way though those two buildings looks fantastic although I wish Gilbert would restore the cornice for the building on the corner.
    I saw the cornice mentioned on the Kramer Design Facebook page. It was said that there is no plan at the time due to the preexisting cell phone antennas attached to the cornice line.

Was announced today at the Crain's Newsmakers Event that the new arena name will be revealed in the next month or two and that it is corporate. I'm not surprised they went this route, but certainly disappointed it won't be a unique name.

https://twitter.com/Bill_Shea19/stat...18528118218752

Anyone have guesses as to what it will be named?

I'll take some guesses based off current corporate presence at Joe Louis Arena [[and random thoughts):
    1. Amway Arena
    2. Meijer Arena
    3. Bank of America Arena
    4. DTE Energy Arena

Olympia Stadium.

Therefore we can have an old name while paying homage [[much to many's chagrin) Illitch's Olympia Entertainment.

Jos Louis Arena

It will be named after the Canadian snack food.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...13943665,d.amc

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Was announced today at the Crain's Newsmakers Event that the new arena name will be revealed in the next month or two and that it is corporate. I'm not surprised they went this route, but certainly disappointed it won't be a unique name.

I'll take some guesses based off current corporate presence at Joe Louis Arena [[and random thoughts):
    1. Amway Arena
    2. Meijer Arena
    3. Bank of America Arena
    4. DTE Energy Arena

Some might say: EMU Steve Arena

1. Amway Arena
    2. Meijer Arena
    3. Bank of America Arena
    4. DTE Energy Arena
    Darn. If he had to negotiate it, then that means Pizzarena is out.

Olympia would have been a nice compromise. Oh well. Here's to hoping it's something Michigan-based and halfway respectable like Meijer or one of the auto companies, not Amway.

how many property owners are still holding out? I occasionally see news stories about folks in the vicinity who are still "looking for the right buyer"

Darn. If he had to negotiate it, then that means Pizzarena is out.

Olympia would have been a nice compromise. Oh well. Here's to hoping it's something Michigan-based and halfway respectable like Meijer or one of the auto companies, not Amway.
    If it's Amway I'm not going. And the Wings are my favorite team to watch. Of course it won't be. So little chance of that.
    Last edited by bust; February-09-16 at 07:08 PM.

1. Amway Arena
    2. Meijer Arena
    3. Bank of America Arena
    4. DTE Energy Arena
    As far as corporate names go, I think The Meijer Center is half-decent. A solid, well liked local brand. Plus, it could be a cool way to develop a "city Meijer" as part of the development. Just no MPerks Arena please haha

I remember some one posting a long time ago, before any of us had a clue as to what this arena was going to look like, a picture of a pyramid and they said if Amway has the naming rights this is what the new arena would look like. I thought that was funny then and still think it's funny. This is coming from a guy who was and IBO with Amway for about 2 seconds. My friends avoided my wife and I like the plague.

Since Meijer was the first company to sign on to sponsorship, and are going to be [[apparently) retail partners in the adjoining neighborhood they might be the one.

I'm not convinced it's Meijers... they have stores in only 6 states. I think that it would be a company that is national.

It doesn't have to be a local company that gets the naming rights. Just look at some smaller venues. Chicago has a Ford Center for the Preforming arts and a Cadillac Theatre. Phoenix has a large 4800 seat Comerica Theatre.... this is repeated nationwide. It could be just about any large company getting the naming rights to the new arena.

The Staples Center [[arena in LA) is named after the business store chain.... which is HQed in Framingham Massachusetts.
    Last edited by Gistok; February-10-16 at 01:02 AM.

Spirit Airlines Arena. Every bag or purse you bring into the arena is subject to a $25 baggage fee. That includes the Wings and their equipment bags......

No idea about the name, but the "Baddest Bowl in Hockey" seems very unlikely to catch on.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...rena/80088102/

Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 33 ... LastLast