Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    So yeah, they can build new schlock right on top of the arena, but, as to comparable uses in an older building across the street, well, now, that just wouldn't be safe.

The Free Press coverage of parking this morning is scaring the shit out of me. Sounds like "THE DISTRICT" is primarily going to be a surface parking district.
    I don't know why this is a shock to anyone at all.

From the Freep article:

Doug Kuiper, a spokesman for Ilitch Holdings, said the surface lots will be "high-quality, landscaped, paved surface parking lots to support the Detroit Events Center and businesses in the District Detroit." "Over time, many of these lots will evolve to become new developments that benefit our community," Kuiper said in a statement.
    Where have we heard this load of crap before???

Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch control companies that operate several surface lots around the arena site. The area where surface lots are anticipated to be needed stretches along Woodward Avenue from the Masonic Temple to the north, down to the Grand Circus Park area to the south.

The study estimates more than 6,600 cars will arrive on game nights. Including spaces at several surface lots, there are 4,200 spaces within 1,000 feet of the arena and an additional 20,000 parking spaces within a 10-minute walk of the arena, according to a planning document Olympia Development submitted to the city.
    Only in Detroit can you have 20,000 parking spots within a 10-minute walk, yet still be concerned about providing sufficient parking. Boy oh boy, I can't wait to go park my car down by the new hockey arena!!! Don't know if I can handle this much excitement.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; March-26-15 at 09:08 AM.