Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

The biggest reason for my skepticism is that building new bridges over freeways is very expensive. I could see Illitch trying to get MDOT to pay for them, and then it never happening because the state won't fund the new bridges.
    Is the new Woodward bridge capable of withstanding that weight or would you have to build a whole new bridge? Seems a bit bass-ackwards seeing how that bridge was just finished within the last year.

Maybe I am reading the article wrong, which I have been known to do from time-to-time!

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Is the new Woodward bridge capable of withstanding that weight or would you have to build a whole new bridge? Seems a bit bass-ackwards seeing how that bridge was just finished within the last year.

Maybe I am reading the article wrong, which I have been known to do from time-to-time!
    It is not so much a weight issue as a location issue. Basically, they are not going to narrow the Woodward street width over the freeway, especially with the new M-1 rail tracks in place. So the only place to put these new shops is outside the existing bridge footprint. This would either require adding beams and widening the brand new bridge, or building new bridges on either side to support the proposed new shops. Either of which will not be easy or cheap.