Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast

Wouldn't it be great if we get the ESPN Zone and the Cheesecake Factory we've all been waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    A lot of skilled and unskilled tradesmen left metro Detroit back during the foreclosure meltdown a few years ago, and they are likely never coming back. So now that there is a construction boom, there's not enough folks to fill the jobs. I have a buddy who has his own rough carpentry business, and he's been looking for over a year to hire 2 workers [[mainly south Macomb/Oakland area work).... and he's not had any luck. [[PM me if you know anyone... ).

This may only get worse if construction increases in the metro area....
    My cousin also has a small carpentry business, and he has told me the exact same story. A lot of the skilled trades people left during the recession, and there is a huge shortage of skilled construction labor in metro Detroit now. At this point, he is happy if he can just get somebody to show up every day and hold a hammer. The recession really discouraged a lot of young people in this region from going into the trades.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    If they can't find qualified workers in the city, should they just stop working? And if Olympia is meeting the 30% goal of construction contracts to Detroit based companies, doesn't it fall on the companies, not Olympia, to achieve that 51% Detroiter employed percentage?
    Work doesn't stop if they don't meet the employment quotas. The contractors have to pay a fine if they fail to meet their contractual agreements.

"An estimated half-million dollars in fines have been levied on contractors working on the new Red Wings arena because the firms haven’t hired enough Detroit residents, according to city officials."

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    Work doesn't stop if they don't meet the employment quotas. The contractors have to pay a fine if they fail to meet their contractual agreements.

"An estimated half-million dollars in fines have been levied on contractors working on the new Red Wings arena because the firms haven’t hired enough Detroit residents, according to city officials."
    Agree. Who wants to live in a country where a bridge, freeway, subway, etc. work would stop because of quotas?

Legally, in this country most remedies for non compliance or failure to perform are: $.
    Last edited by emu steve; December-10-16 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Agree. Who wants to live in a country where a bridge, freeway, subway, etc. work would stop because of quotas?

Legally, in this country most remedies for non compliance or failure to perform are: $.
    I actually really prefer the fine system to the quota system, especially if the fines are going to train local residents in developing their skill set.

From the contractor's side, obviously they don't like to pay a fine so they are incentivized to try and use the local workers wherever possible. However, if there are not enough local workers to do the job, progress can still be made. I think the key here is that the system is set up to let the contractors [[who have the best knowledge on whether or not there are enough local workers) make the decision on whether a local worker is qualified or not, and not some outside agency. But the contractor is also kept in check by the fine. Good system that yields the most benefits given the situation.

I am told that contractors work the fines into their budgets - that's how business gets done in this town, as well as others. So much for hiring and training Detroit youth? I recall that many trades people from Michigan migrated to Texas back in the late 70s and early 80s, "the black tags," and some worked their way back home over time. Don't trades people "follow the work?" And if that's the case, motels in the area should be at full occupancy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rohn View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if we get the ESPN Zone and the Cheesecake Factory we've all been waiting for?
    Oh, yeah, and throw in Applebees and Olive Garden too. Then the fabulous "stadium district" would finally achieve the epic glories of a suburban highway exit.

The suburbanization of a thin slice of the City. I preferred the Cass Corridor, where the price of one night at the new hockey arena would provide a couple months of fun. Old man rant.
    Last edited by Bobl; December-11-16 at 09:56 AM.

While it is winter outside, I guess the 'hot stove debate' about public dollars [[and the process for approving them) for sports facilities and their effect on development in the neighboring areas continues...

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nb...oney/96263028/

I like these few paragraphs which are 'chapter and verse' of my views [[emphasis mine):

"Arn Tellem was once a skeptic.

As a longtime Los Angeles resident, the Palace Sports & Entertainment vice chairman now readily admits he was doubtful that the opening of Staples Center in 1999 would somehow transform a desolate landscape of parking lots.

But the rise of retail and residential investment in downtown L.A. and a similar occurrence with the MCI Center [[now Verizon Center) in the Chinatown neighborhood in Washington, D.C., in 1997 has convinced Tellem of the potential of Little Caesars Arena and the surrounding development to work similar magic in downtown Detroit. "

When I get a chance I be interested in learned more about the DDDA. ​
    Last edited by emu steve; January-08-17 at 06:39 AM.

In 2015, the Illitch firm obtained approval to raze the Park Avenue Hotel but the quid pro quo, apparently, was that the Eddystone would be converted into apartments. Most of them were to be market rate units but at least few were to be available to lower income persons. What is happening with regard to the Eddystone? Thanks.

I believe a recent article pointed out that the Eddystone was slated to begin renovations in 2018 in Phase 2 or 3 of the districts master construction plan.

Some shots of the arena I captured today.

Name:  unspecified.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  unspecified2.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  unspecified3.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  88.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Some shots of the arena I captured today.

Name:  unspecified.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  unspecified2.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  unspecified3.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  88.8 KB
    is anyone else disappointed with the woodward frontage of the office/restaurant block? the whole elevation of brick and punched openings is such a contrived look. its got as much architectural rigor as the crosswinds condos across the street.

I am willing to wait until they are finished to judge. I think that Orleans Landing did something similar and it looks incredibly contrived, but the finished look of this may be of a higher quality. At least I hope. All of the flyovers and renderings look ok to me.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I am willing to wait until they are finished to judge. I think that Orleans Landing did something similar and it looks incredibly contrived, but the finished look of this may be of a higher quality. At least I hope. All of the flyovers and renderings look ok to me.
    ryan! scoff i can't accept that

As a fellow impatient man I can relate ha.

ima go ahead and call it....this is shit. illitch is like "well we have x amount of dollars. so we'll load up the arena with 'amenities' we charge more for aka 'the gondola seating' and say we're giving the city all this stuff like a basement practice rink and we'll skin the whole exterior with some conventional brick and crap windows cause who cares the action is inside" #baddestbowlbitch

http://sportsvenuebusiness.com/wp-co...ast_corner.jpg

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pb...1400&MaxH=1400
    Last edited by hybridy; January-11-17 at 07:48 PM.

I'm confused. Why is brick and windows bad?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I'm confused. Why is brick and windows bad?
    Maybe one was expecting granite pillars and golden doors... I think It's too early to call yet.

Calltoaction Guest

This isn't even finished yet and already the toxic negative nancies are out in full force, maybe, just maybe, nobody gives a fuck about what you think. Were you people expecting the Palace of Versailles? or Haussmann mid-rises? No other city stadium even gets mid-rises, they just get some ugly and horribly proportioned stadium exterior and call it a day.

It's not surprising to see people complaining about an unfinished arena; folks are STILL salty about the "LED roof" and the arena name.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It's not surprising to see people complaining about an unfinished arena; folks are STILL salty about the "LED roof" and the arena name.
    It looks like you're new to the board, so you probably were not aware, but it doesn't matter if the building wins the Architectural Digest structural of the year award or is designed by SOM or Albert Kahn rises from the grave for one final commission and builds it for free. It will be universally bashed on here.

Having said that, I was pretty disappointed on the nixing of the LED roof. That would have been such a cool feature. But otherwise I agree with the sentiment. How about we wait until it's done to judge, and lest we forget, it's a sports arena. I really don't care what people say, there is only so much you can do with a building that needs to house 20,000 people. They may vary a bit, and I'm sure someone on here is going to be on Google all day finding examples of stadiums around the world that broke the mold, but by in large, in this country, it's a big box or circle that's jazzed up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It's not surprising to see people complaining about an unfinished arena; folks are STILL salty about the...arena name.
    Sorry, but if it was small minority of people who were "still complaining" I would be with you, but the name, the court of public opinion aka the fans, is nearly universally loathed. I think we are used to corporate names and I don't have a problem them in general, but naming an arena that is going to house a prestigious and an original NHL club after a business that sells $5 pizzas that themselves are mocked [[Five Dolla' Hollas, Hot 'n Squirts, Little Greasers, etc), is rather disappointing. And they're moving from an arena named after a great sportsman of the 20th century who was an important figure not only in sports but also civil rights.

"Olympia Arena" would have homage to both the Old Red Barn and to Mr. Illitch's business empire. But no, we get Little Greasers Arena...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Sorry, but if it was small minority of people who were "still complaining" I would be with you, but the name, the court of public opinion aka the fans, is nearly universally loathed. I think we are used to corporate names and I don't have a problem them in general, but naming an arena that is going to house a prestigious and an original NHL club after a business that sells $5 pizzas that themselves are mocked [[Five Dolla' Hollas, Hot 'n Squirts, Little Greasers, etc), is rather disappointing. And they're moving from an arena named after a great sportsman of the 20th century who was an important figure not only in sports but also civil rights.

"Olympia Arena" would have homage to both the Old Red Barn and to Mr. Illitch's business empire. But no, we get Little Greasers Arena...
    Amen, etc. et al.

Do you venture out across America? Yes Little Ceasar's may sound odd - but it will likely be shortened by fans to going to LCA like going to JLA or the Joe.

Corporate America has taken over most stadiums.

Chicago - Starting next year the baseball stadium where the White Sox play is called the Guaranteed Rate Field

New Orleans - The New Orleans arena was rebranded the Smoothie King Center

Miami - Dolphins/Marlins play at Hard Rock Stadium

After a while you don't even think of the vendor - even though you say Comerica Park each time - I rarely, if ever, think of the bank. It's always just the stadium. The bank was dead to me once they moved to Texas so I refuse to go there.

Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast