Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 39 ... LastLast

Here's a shot of the stadium when I walked by at lunch today.

Name:  2016-07-26 12.40.38.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  92.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    What are the new buildings going up south of the Eddystone? Are they parking structures?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    What are the new buildings going up south of the Eddystone? Are they parking structures?
    bingo. to the west of them facing clifford/cass are going to be townhomes built. to the south and east is an apartment building wrapping around it

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    bingo. to the west of them facing clifford/cass are going to be townhomes built. to the south and east is an apartment building wrapping around it
    Thanks.

?: Can anything be done to make Eddystone seem more harmonious to the other structures?

The 'skin' doesn't seem to go with the 'skin' of other adjacent buildings.

The Eddystone is fine. This is not a suburban subdivision. There is no need put anything in "harmony".

Thanks.

?: Can anything be done to make Eddystone seem more harmonious to the other structures?

The 'skin' doesn't seem to go with the 'skin' of other adjacent buildings.
    That question should have been asked before they tore down the matching Park Avenue Hotel across the street from it....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That question should have been asked before they tore down the matching Park Avenue Hotel across the street from it....
    Lot of it is the color which really is consistent with nothing in the area...

Lot of it is the color which really is consistent with nothing in the area...
    That's called diversity. An area like the district shouldn't have the same architecture or color or 'skin' as you put it. What makes a city great is the diverse architecture. We already lost the Park Avenue, the best we can hope for is a solid renovation of the Eddystone. Let's hope the Ilitch's come through on that promise.

Well since the Ilitch's appear to be moving on developing a lot of properties. One building that they really need to move on is the Fine Arts facade held up with scaffolding. It is really becoming more of an embarrassment... been nothing but a facade for 7 years now. All this new building is great... but this West Adams St. facade needs attention..

Well now both the Broderick and David Whitney Buildings have been brought back to life... it's about time that the Ilitch's develop the Fine Arts Building. Either that or sell the building to someone willing to develop it... and let's not wait until 2019!!
    Last edited by Gistok; July-27-16 at 02:15 AM.

Well since the Ilitch's appear to be moving on developing a lot of properties. One building that they really need to move on is the Fine Arts facade held up with scaffolding. It is really becoming more of an embarrassment... been nothing but a facade for 7 years now. All this new building is great... but this West Adams St. facade needs attention..

Well now both the Broderick and David Whitney Buildings have been brought back to life... it's about time that the Ilitch's develop the Fine Arts Building. Either that or sell the building to someone willing to develop it... and let's not wait until 2019!!
    Amen. With the market where it is at currently there is no reason Illitch can't redevelop the Fine Arts, United Artists and former Tuller site around GCP. That area is ripe for residential and if it were Gilbert who owned those properties we would already be talking about his proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    That's called diversity. An area like the district shouldn't have the same architecture or color or 'skin' as you put it. What makes a city great is the diverse architecture. We already lost the Park Avenue, the best we can hope for is a solid renovation of the Eddystone. Let's hope the Ilitch's come through on that promise.
    I wish to disagree with you.

All of the buildings adjacent to the new arena are/will be new construction [[except Eddystone).

When one does new construction there isn't going to be 25% this arch, 30% that arch, 10% something else. and a bunch of colors or tones and heights to boot.

I still believe the Eddystone will stand out like a sore thumb.

All of the buildings adjacent to the new arena are/will be new construction [[except Eddystone).

When one does new construction there isn't going to be 25% this arch, 30% that arch, 10% something else. and a bunch of colors or tones and heights to boot.

Isn't it a good thing when the most beautiful building of them all sticks out like a sore thumb?

Different opinions make the world fascinating.

And I disagree with you completely on this Steve. If it is restored and returned to its former glory it will be a pleasant draw to the eye.

Diversity in architecture is like diversity with the people who inhabit a space, it's a good thing. An entire district that looks exactly the same is boring. Change materials, change height, make it an interesting experience from block to block, and yes, the Eddystone will likely be the best looking building in the district. Thanks goodness we demo'd the Park Avenue for that landscaped loading dock...

So predictions on when will the arena host a political convention?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Diversity in architecture is like diversity with the people who inhabit a space, it's a good thing. An entire district that looks exactly the same is boring. Change materials, change height, make it an interesting experience from block to block, and yes, the Eddystone will likely be the best looking building in the district. Thanks goodness we demo'd the Park Avenue for that landscaped loading dock...
    Eddystone best looking building in the district.

Wow.

It's absurd to say that the Eddystone would detract from the area, or that just because a building is different it detracts.

Diversity of building ages, designs, and heights are one key ingredient to urbanism. And this is a tenet taught in urbanism 101, not one that is hard to grasp.

While the City should have never caved as to the Park Ave., it will be thanked by future citizens for having ensured some measure of historicity and diversity in this part of the city.

Eddystone best looking building in the district.

Wow.
    Are you unable to envision what it will look like when restored. I.e. google a historic photo? It was designed by Louis Kamper-- he was pretty decent -- and is on the National Register.

You must not follow contemporary urban development. Examples like that abound, including what Gilbert has planned for Brush Park.

http://www.citymoderndetroit.com/

Sure, a developer can hire one architect, set up a common template, and build up a neighborhood with cookie cutter reuse of designs and materials, but that is not considered best practice. It's the cheap and lazy way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    You must not follow contemporary urban development. Examples like that abound, including what Gilbert has planned for Brush Park.

http://www.citymoderndetroit.com/

Sure, a developer can hire one architect, set up a common template, and build up a neighborhood with cookie cutter reuse of designs and materials, but that is not considered best practice. It's the cheap and lazy way to do it.
    I am not saying arch diversity is bad. I haven't criticized it in areas such a Brush Park where there will be a lot of several arch styles. Ditto near Comerica where both old [[Fox) and new [[LC hdquarters) will coexists.

WHAT I am say is having 9 buildings from the same template and then a 10th building completely different [[e.g., historic) seems like an eye sore to me.

I don't call that diversity, I call is mish mash.

I am not saying arch diversity is bad. I haven't criticized it in areas such a Brush Park where there will be a lot of several arch styles. Ditto near Comerica where both old [[Fox) and new [[LC hdquarters) will coexists.

WHAT I am say is having 9 buildings from the same template and then a 10th building completely different [[e.g., historic) seems like an eye sore to me.

I don't call that diversity, I call is mish mash.
    I don't call that diversity either. The problem would be that 90% of the buildings are from the same template.

Seems ironic the one you complain about is the landmarked Louis Kamper building. It remains to be seen what quality of architecture the other 90% will be, but I'd be surprised if it stands up to the Eddystone or lives up to the Park Ave Hotel it will replace.
    Last edited by bust; July-27-16 at 11:44 AM.

While we're at it, the crappy Masonic Temple a few blocks away has to go, too! It looks nothing like the new arena.

Emu_steve.... are you sure you're not related to the Ilitch's??
    Last edited by Gistok; July-27-16 at 12:58 PM.

Emu_steve.... are you sure you're not related to the Ilitch's??
    I hope this doesn't foreshadow a campaign from the Ilitches to renege on their promise to rehabilitate the Eddystone, like so many [[myself included) predicted.

The Park Ave sure came down quick.

Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 39 ... LastLast