Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I don't think any of those rumors about Mrs. Harbaugh wanting to stay in California were true. The relevant truth, however, is that neither Jim Harbaugh nor Les Miles were willing to work for a pompous egomaniac like Dave Brandon. Brandon's *ahem* resignation was a necessary first step to land a top coach.

It's a speculative question, but I think so. He's a proven coach and motivator. If you win, you're beloved at Michigan. And in Ann Arbor, Harbaugh will have complete control over the program. No issues with player contracts, no complaints about his players being treated unfairly by management, no personality clashes with a general manager.

Well, that's pure speculation on your part, isn't it? I've been amazed at how many Buckeye and Sparty fans have called this coaching search "embarrassing" for Michigan. How is it ever embarrassing to hire the best possible candidate for a job, and especially when he's a proud alumnus, at that?
    I'm not sure anyone is calling this time around "embarrassing". LAST time around was a straight up shit show. This time around? I mean if you've decided Harbaugh is your guy... I think throwing all the money you have on the table and promising him he won't have an AD in the lockerroom breaking down game film with you is just fine. Rumors about Mrs. Harbaugh, true or not... they were part of the story last time around and were repeated here in the early on. Can anyone blame her if true? AA vs. SF? C'mon now.

My only point is that if this were MSU, UM fans would be all over the fact that MSU just offered a soft landing to a coach that just got fired and had no other NFL options at this time. I mean had hoke not been fired, would Harbaugh be a college HC job right now? Looking like no...if one believes the reporting. He's going to need to win the big ten and get a spot in the playoffs year one to justify being the highest paid coach in college football right off the bat. Again, just trying to be objective about the obscene money and all the fanaticism.
    Last edited by bailey; December-29-14 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm not sure anyone is calling this time around "embarrassing". LAST time around was a straight up shit show. This time around? I mean if you've decided Harbaugh is your guy... I think throwing all the money you have on the table and promising him he won't have an AD in the lockerroom breaking down game film with you is just fine. Rumors about Mrs. Harbaugh, true or not... they were part of the story last time around and were repeated here in the early on. Can anyone blame her if true? AA vs. SF? C'mon now.

My only point is that if this were MSU, UM fans would be all over the fact that MSU just offered a soft landing to a coach that just got fired and had no other NFL options at this time. I mean had hoke not been fired, would Harbaugh have an NFL HC job right now? Looking like no...if one believes the reporting. He's going to need to win the big ten and get a spot in the playoffs year one to justify being the highest paid coach in college football right off the bat. Again, just trying to be objective about the obscene money and all the fanaticism.
    No NFL options? There are several teams--Oakland, Chicago, and the Jets to name three--that would love to have Harbaugh's services. Oakland was rumored to have sent representatives to the Niners game yesterday. But none of the NFL teams were allowed [[by league rules) to contact Harbaugh until he was either 1) released from his contract, which would never be the case if he were staying in the NFL or 2) the 49ers season ended. If Harbaugh didn't want to go to Michigan, he would have had options [[and money) in the NFL.

No NFL options? There are several teams--Oakland, Chicago, and the Jets to name three--that would love to have Harbaugh's services. Oakland was rumored to have sent representatives to the Niners game yesterday. But none of the NFL teams were allowed [[by league rules) to contact Harbaugh until he was either 1) released from his contract, which would never be the case if he were staying in the NFL or 2) the 49ers season ended. If Harbaugh didn't want to go to Michigan, he would have had options [[and money) in the NFL.
    We'll never know because it didn't come out that way, but the facts here are Baalke wanted him gone, the locker room was in open revolt, and they had tried to trade him last year. His NFL options were [[again if we're going to believe NFL reporters and their pro nfl bias) limited. I guess the question I have is did Harbaugh WANT to go to Michigan [[or back to college in general) or was it an offer [[in light of all else) that couldn't be refused? I think he'd be nuts to say no to UM's dumptruck of cash, for all the reasons you noted, he gets to have total control over college kids that aren't getting hundreds of millions..and the good ones with the biggest egos are only there for 2-3 years... but if UM wasn't backing up that dumptruck....?

I'm interested to see how long the honeymoon in AA lasts in light of such an astronomical amount of money for a guy that hasn't won an NC. How many years of "he just needs to get 'his guys' into the program"... "Hoke left the cupboard was bare"... "it's a transition"... excuses for losing to rivals and in big games does he get when every article written from here on out will note; "Harbaugh, currently the highest paid coach in NCAA football..."?
    Last edited by bailey; December-29-14 at 10:38 AM.

I'm interested to see how long the honeymoon in AA lasts in light of such an astronomical amount of money for a guy that hasn't won an NC. How many years of "he just needs to get 'his guys' into the program"... "Hoke left the cupboard was bare"... "it's a transition"... excuses for losing to rivals and in big games does he get when every article written from here on out will note; "Harbaugh, currently the highest paid coach in NCAA football..."?
    I suppose I'm just not the pessimist you are, and I suspect Jim Hackett isn't one either.

It's awful hard to win when you're trying to Not Lose, you know.

The 2007 coaching search was completely bungled [[read John U. Bacon for more on this), and Dave Brandon merely wanted a coach he could control [[a patsy like Hoke). Jim Hackett has played everything perfectly thus far, and I think it's safe to assume that Harbaugh sees an opportunity to establish a meaningful legacy in the footprint of a coach he greatly admires and reveres.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; December-29-14 at 10:47 AM.

I suppose I'm just not the pessimist you are, and I suspect Jim Hackett isn't one either.

It's awful hard to win when you're trying to Not Lose, you know.

The 2007 coaching search was completely bungled [[read John U. Bacon for more on this), and Dave Brandon merely wanted a coach he could control [[a patsy like Hoke). Jim Hackett has played everything perfectly thus far, and I think it's safe to assume that Harbaugh sees an opportunity to establish a meaningful legacy in the footprint of a coach he greatly admires and reveres.
    I really don't think I'm being pessimistic, I'm being realistic. Unless Harbaugh and UM totally sells out everything they claim to hold dear and goes full SEC North like Urban [[Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS) Myer's OSU....we're all just playing for second place.

I really don't think I'm being pessimistic, I'm being realistic.
    No "Type A" firebrand ever uttered those words. That's just an excuse. Reality [[perceived or otherwise) doesn't have a damned thing to do with anything. You think a guy like Jim Harbaugh is successful because he listens to naysayers?

But yeah, you're right. Maybe U of M should just roll over and play dead. Because Urban Meyer Nick Saban SEC something. I mean, why even try?

No "Type A" firebrand ever uttered those words. That's just an excuse.

But yeah, you're right. Maybe U of M should just roll over and play dead. Because Urban Meyer Nick Saban SEC something. I mean, why even try?
    I don't think they should roll over, but the holier than thou/"this is MEEEChigan we don't do that" stuff doesn't win national championships. If doing it "right" did, Saban wouldn't have 4 NCs under his belt. Dropping 48 million on the coach is only half the solution if one expects Saban like success.

Now, if we're going for Bo like success... as in winning a bunch of conference championships in a mediocre conference and losing the rosebowl most of the time, but being well regarded and running a clean program....sure. Hell, Hoke could have done that given the time.

What I'd like to see is programs like Michigan drop the silly charade, a charade that is even sillier now that you've just set the pay bar, that the money sports are anything but professional development leagues so the conference playing field is leveled.

. You think a guy like Jim Harbaugh is successful because he listens to naysayers?
    I think he's had success because he's passionate about his job and winning. I think you can't have consistent success in the college game unless you ignore most of the rules...which is something UM claims it doesn't do.
    Last edited by bailey; December-29-14 at 11:20 AM.