Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    I think most people appreciated Bo's forthright, ethical, honest approach to the college game and the abiding sense of pride he took in work. They identified with his frustrations such that his losses became their losses. However, his tenure with the Tigers did diminish his popularity.
    Your popularity would diminish too, if you fired Ernie Harwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Your popularity would diminish too, if you fired Ernie Harwell.
    Precisely!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Personally, I think UM is the only school Harbaugh would return for. I mean the guy couldn't get out of Stanford fast enough... and this isn't a Saban like situation. He had success at the pro level, Saban flamed out. I would suspect the 8 million surely helped him get over any qualms about a career regression.
    First of all, it's not a regression. It's his dream job, and its an opportunity to coach a team with one of the largest fan bases in all of football, college or pro. Second, he's not getting $8mm/yr. Not even close. He's getting $5mm/yr, which is the same salary he was paid in San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    ^^^
    This. I get that people are excited about hope and change at U of M, but enough is enough. That city wide billboard campaign is way over the top. This hiring does appease the alumni, but long term success requires that he can move the needle in the right direction when it comes to recruiting. I don't think he can because when you get right down to it he's a jerk.
    So you know him? yeah, he's aggressive and blunt. So is the sport he coaches. Ask the 49er players if they wanted him gone. They admired him. Management utterly disrespected him because he wouldn't cave to their whims. They basically offered him up for trade after the third straight NFC championship game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3