Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Not if you watch the news every morning. Didn't seem better to me. Can't stomach Muckraker but I did skim the article.
    I agree with you. Motor City Muckraker is not journalism, it is a tabloid blog written by a hipster who couldn't make it in traditional mainstream journalism. It panders to the typical young, low information crowd.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; December-29-14 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffy
    The reason the rate went down last year was because of the polar vortex. Not trying to be funny either.

Yep. I remember some PR pieces touting how crime was down in early 2014. DPD brags about being tough on crime every January and February, and last year was exceptionally cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    You guys are arguing over guns when we all know the murder rate went down because we had the snowiest winter of all time combined with some of the coldest temps ever. SMH.
    Not this argument again. Pretty sure most people have had a chance to work through the backlog on their hitlists in the 9 months since the weather broke. I know I have. Plus, people were pretty pissed off after last winter, so I think the murder rate was artificially high the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Yep. I remember some PR pieces touting how crime was down in early 2014. DPD brags about being tough on crime every January and February, and last year was exceptionally cold.[/COLOR]
    Exactly. I mean we had snow up until the end of April and cold as hell temps. I remember in mid April it snowed like 4 inches and was freezing. I'm finding it absolutely comical that people in here are talking about the great police work combined with citizens being armed with guns LOL. Its the weather! Next year the crime rate will be up.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...ou-Feeling-It/

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    Not this argument again. Pretty sure most people have had a chance to work through the backlog on their hitlists in the 9 months since the weather broke. I know I have. Plus, people were pretty pissed off after last winter, so I think the murder rate was artificially high the rest of the year.
    A statement which implies that most murders in Detroit are pre-mediated but provides no evidence of such. I would argue that it's more likely that murders in Detroit are more of a spontaneous, unplanned nature and thus cold temperatures keeping people off of the streets does impact crime rates.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    A statement which implies that most murders in Detroit are pre-mediated but provides no evidence of such. I would argue that it's more likely that murders in Detroit are more of a spontaneous, unplanned nature and thus cold temperatures keeping people off of the streets does impact crime rates.
    Interesting question.

I assumed that most of the murders were drug-trade related. So I saw them mostly as 'grudge' killings, wherein they are pre-meditated. Don't think they are sudden impulse murders.

Would one of our fine law-enforcement types weigh in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Do you think the perceived drop is due to what this article is about.

It was back in April when things seemed to get better.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/0...-media-public/
    That seems to be the most likely reason for the crime rate declining.

You know, as many problem as we had with the corrupt/incompetent administrations of the past, at least they were transparent [[which is just as important within a government) about their failure to run the city .

The new regime, if anything, seems to be going well out of its way to polish turds without accountability.

*Less street-lighting in densely populated/high crime neighborhoods than before [[but the remaining streetlight bulbs are BRIGHTER!!! And meet this non-existent "national illumination standard" no one has ever heard of or seen!!!)

*Only reporting certain crimes to the FBI to make it seem as if the city's safer, etc. [[funny, when Chicago did this, it was a cardinal sin to some. Now it's ok that Detroit's doing it).
    Last edited by 313WX; December-29-14 at 10:33 AM.

If I stated that most murders are premeditated, I would be wrong. Most are spontaneous. But, most spontaneous murders are of a domestic nature, not "on the street". By "domestic" I am referring to the broader definition of a family member, friend, or acquaintance that you would see on an almost daily basis. In this case you could argue that there would be more killings in the case of being shut in, but I will not argue that. Crimes on the street tend to be more "grudge killings", or as a result of some other premeditated event, such as a robbery or other planned confrontation. True spontaneous killings on the street are in the minority I believe, but feel free to argue otherwise. While there have been many studies on the increase in killings in hot weather, there are not the same findings in reverse for cold weather. While there may be some small decrease for the lazy maniacs that don't feel like going out in the cold, the effect is small and can easily be nullified when considering other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Yes, I watched Chief Craig on CNN, and as the black police chief of an urban core city, he was expected to criticize gun ownership. No matter where you stand on the issue, it was funny watching the CNN talking heads squirm when he said he supported people using guns to protect their homes.

Racial stereotyping is alive and well in portions of the news media, apparently.
    They knew what he was going to say since he's said it before...

Chief Craig has some flawed logic. Countries that haven't many guns in circulation have way lower murder rates. A little too late for that tho. If the criminals are armed so too should be the law abiding citizens.

Keep in mind that if some of these same scumbags that were killed by Detroit homeowners were instead killed by white cops defending their lives that Sharpton et. al. would fly straight into town to get the local populace feeling exploited and powerless.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Keep in mind that if some of these same scumbags that were killed by Detroit homeowners were instead killed by white cops defending their lives that Sharpton et. al. would fly straight into town to get the local populace feeling exploited and powerless.
    And your true colors shine through with this post. Congrats.

And your true colors shine through with this post. Congrats.
    My true colors that I support the police that keep us safe and don't give a care about butt-wipes like Michael Brown that ROB STORES? I've been very clear about that in many posts.

People were rioting at a gas station in Berkeley, Missouri over an 18 man that POINTED A GUN AT THE POLICE. They were rioting because the dead man was black, and the cop was white. They had no other facts, or at least cared about nothing else.

My point is that many of the people that are killed by police are the same kind of scum that are killed by justifiable homicides within Detroit homes at the hands of responsible gun owners.

However, people get their panties in a wad when scum like Michael Brown and Antonio Martin are killed by cops solely because of the race of the cop, the fact that it's a cop, and the race of the deceased, ignoring all facts.

I didn't attribute facts to "all black people" but rather the likes of Sharpton that use these incidents to keep themselves relevant and at the same to incite rioting and unrest in the face of a police officer defending his life.

Black lives do matter, and police save tons of them every year.
    Last edited by Scottathew; December-29-14 at 03:52 PM.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

Look at the headline of this BET article: http://www.bet.com/news/national/201...-missouri.html

"Antonio Martin Shot and Killed by White Officer in Berkeley, Missouri"

The headline is designed to make black people feel victimized, in need of protection, and that their lives don't matter.

Now, let's pretend that the same man, Antonio Martin, broke into a Detroit home, and was killed by a black homeowner.

Would there be outrage and immediate implied racial implications? Nope. People would assume the homeowner was defending himself unless other facts were presented.

There are bad cops out there. They need to be found, punished\reprimanded\fired\etc... But the vast majority of cops are good. Cops protect us from thug scum like Michael Brown and Antonio Martin. The fact that law enforcement exists deters crime. The better law enforcement is, the more crime it deters, the more criminals it locks up.

Cops save black lives, and people ought to recognize that, instead burning down cities because a robber got killed while fighting a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    My true colors that I support the police that keep us safe and don't give a care about butt-wipes like Michael Brown that ROB STORES? I've been very clear about that in many posts.

People were rioting at a gas station in Berkeley, Missouri over an 18 man that POINTED A GUN AT THE POLICE. They were rioting because the dead man was black, and the cop was white. They had no other facts, or at least cared about nothing else.

My point is that many of the people that are killed by police are the same kind of scum that are killed by justifiable homicides within Detroit homes at the hands of responsible gun owners.

However, people get their panties in a wad when scum like Michael Brown and Antonio Martin are killed by cops solely because of the race of the cop, the fact that it's a cop, and the race of the deceased, ignoring all facts.

I didn't attribute facts to "all black people" but rather the likes of Sharpton that use these incidents to keep themselves relevant and at the same to incite rioting and unrest in the face of a police officer defending his life.

Black lives do matter, and police save tons of them every year.

You are aware that both the store owner AND the clerk have said that Michael Brown was not the individual that was in the video right? Or would you prefer to continue to believe what Faux Snooze tells you?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    You are aware that both the store owner AND the clerk have said that Michael Brown was not the individual that was in the video right? Or would you prefer to continue to believe what Faux Snooze tells you?
    I hate Fox News.

I have not read what you're claiming. Can you please provide a link to a reputable source?

Thanks!

Let me guess, you have black friends too....

This thread has nothing to do with race, just with the murder rate in Detroit and you turn into shit. Congrats.

Let me guess, you have black friends too....

This thread has nothing to do with race, just with the murder rate in Detroit and you turn into shit. Congrats.
    It's a message board. The topic is about crime being down. It was also discussed that justifiable homicides are up.

My point was that if cops had killed the same criminals that the homeowners did, that people would be up in arms over perceived racism.

I debate ideas and topics. You're more interested in attacking me, and trying to label me as a racist by saying things like "And your true colors shine through with this post. Congrats." and "Let me guess, you have black friends too...."

However, what you fail to do is discuss the topic and offer your point of view and facts that support your point of view.

Don't know about others, but I'd like to hear where you've heard that. Please share.

Not that it matters one iota as to whether the force used against him was justified, but he did rob that store. His accomplice, Dorian Johnson, admitted that they did. Brown's own family did not even dispute that it was him in the video, just that it was not reflective of him as a person. It doesn't mean he deserved to die, but it doesn't help your credibility to deny inconvenient facts.

Statistically a very low occurrence rate. Proper training is key.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...home/21032541/

Yea, it's not like another one will happen the day you posted. Proper training in these households is a joke right?

Not that it matters one iota as to whether the force used against him was justified, but he did rob that store. His accomplice, Dorian Johnson, admitted that they did. Brown's own family did not even dispute that it was him in the video, just that it was not reflective of him as a person. It doesn't mean he deserved to die, but it doesn't help your credibility to deny inconvenient facts.
    Thanks for the clarification.

The real story here seems to be that sometimes inconvenient facts are ignored. Sometimes the right person does end up getting justice [[Brown) and sometimes more guns do reduce crime [[Detroit).

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...home/21032541/

Yea, it's not like another one will happen the day you posted. Proper training in these households is a joke right?
    Can't tell much from the article. Sad, though. Training is key, even for kids and teens.

Can't tell much from the article. Sad, though. Training is key, even for kids and teens.
    The types of parents who leave the house with a loaded shotgun laying around for their kids to find are not the responsible "hunting and fishing, growing up with guns" type. I would really like to know the odds of stopping a robber who would have broken into the house and actually killed a family member vs. the chances of accidental gun death of your own child in these urban households.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I would really like to know the odds of stopping a robber who would have broken into the house and actually killed a family member vs. the chances of accidental gun death of your own child in these urban households.
    That's one of the big reasons why I won't have guns in my house. I live in a low-crime area and I feel the gun would be much more likely used to kill someone I love, instead of a bad guy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast