Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

yeah, the thug ruffing up the party store owner for some cirgorellos was a figment of the videos imagination... ok......

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    But I think their demise had more to do with the whole fighting the police part...
    It's questionable at best that they were fighting the police.

In any event, the point is being missed. Comparing suburban kids knowingly going into a bad part of the city in the dead of the night to commit a crime with Detroit kids going into the suburbs and MAYBE encountering racist police officers is a false equivalency.

The girls knowingly put themselves in harm's way.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-24-14 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's questionable at best that they were fighting the police.
    There is no question that both victims in question were fighting with police. That is not in dispute.

I'd dare say this War on Drugs isn't working and we as a society ought to approach the problem another way.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I drive down Charlevoix and Vernor on a regular basis. I think I am done with those two routes.
    Why? Afraid of snipers? Somebody going to pull you out of you vehicle and beat you up? Take Mack or Jefferson east or west then - more traffic, better scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Why? Afraid of snipers? Somebody going to pull you out of you vehicle and beat you up? Take Mack or Jefferson east or west then - more traffic, better scenery.
    I drive those two roads at least twice a day. Never an issue. You do need to keep an eye out for locals doing twice the speed limit or blowing stop signs.

Give it a rest people. A young girl with a promising future is dead. Others wounded. Kids do stupid things all the time. I have ny conjectures but reality is people were harmed. This is Christmas Eve, let go the divide. Peace on earth and goodwill should reign today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Listening to some of you shrill panicked folks makes me laugh.... you don't even have the whole story... the crime took place in Detroit... and you're already telling folks to hightail it to 34 Mile Road.... Oh wait... no... that's Armada... murder... make that 54 Mile Rd...
    Liberals never let facts or data get in the way of a good pissing contest.

I've got an idea- why don't we let the police find out what happened? After that you can resume the hysteria, victim blaming and trashing of dead people if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    I'm heading North where it is safer, Pontiac, Flint, Saginaw!
    Gotta go farther north if you want to live in a town. A short drive outside of those towns you mentioned would be all it takes. With the exception of Pontiac, it's engulfed in the metrosprawl.

I drive those two roads at least twice a day during the week as well. I cannot say there never has been an issue. I agree with 'Wrangler about keeping an eye out for those doing twice the speed limit or blowing stop signs...but disagree that they are only 'locals'. Ever since I started this commute, I noticed that the city could clean up any deficit by patrolling these routes and enforcing simple speed limits. I've been guilty, too, since occasionally the stampede of the horde is dangerous to obstruct, it becomes safer to drive with 'em.

I started a thread during the Summer when my gal and I were accosted by a group of vehicles in Dickerson, maybe a mile up Charlevoix closer to the FCA plant.

I am sure I've been checked out, and occasionally stalked through that 'hood, but oddly even the mean-ugliest of expressions seem to soften with a simple nod of recognition.

That said, after that unfortunate young man was beaten severely after turning the wrong way on Vernor earlier in the year, I had to choose to not change my behavior due to thugs and criminals...and I do so again. This was deeper than random.

There have been reports on another forum of kids getting robbed recently at the gas stations on Mack, whether they are related to scoring drugs or not it seems to be the trend. My best guess is this was a robbery gone way wrong...or some form of turf skirmish. Carload of people cruising the 'hood and stopping in odd places would be seen as easy pickings for the one, or easy targets for the other.

This'll have a generational effect 'round these parts...hopefully not over-reacted, though. Time'll tell.
    Last edited by Gannon; December-24-14 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    I do the speed limit no matter who's behind me or how angry they get. There are some angry people out there. Fuck 'em. I drive a huge vehicle so tailgating is only dangerous for them.
    I'm with ya. I don't usually make resolutions, but I am going to force myself to stick to the limits from now on...I just wish they'd time those damn lights. Did you know it is only 30mph over the Mack bridge and down St. Jean?!

I just re-read Steve Dolunt's comments. Thought he'd smooth out some of the divisive comments made by the first spokesperson, but oddly he amplified 'em. I guess they are too caught up failing the so-called War on Drugs to notice this is far beyond all that. It is disappointing to see marijuana remaining the evil boogeyman-maker in some people's minds.

This whole thing is a huge Rorschach Test...everyone will see what they will within it.
    Last edited by Gannon; December-24-14 at 08:58 AM.

Maybe they were just looking for a place to get rid of some of the beer they were drinking.

Maybe they should have been packing, just saying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Some posts have been removed from this thread as they contain personal attacks directed at other forum members. This is strictly forbidden on this forum in any way, shape or form. If anyone wishes to lash out against another person there are plenty of other places on the Wild World Web to vent. This is not one.

We realize this is a highly emotional topic, but that never gives permission to allow those emotions to spill over into personal and ad hominem attacks. Doing so only lowers the level of discourse and reputation of the person doing it. Repetition of such attacks may lead to abrupt and unannounced dismissal from the forum as clearly stated in our rules of participation.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  17.6 KB

if you folks really wanted to save us from reading filth, you should have erased this entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: Some posts have been removed from this thread as they contain personal attacks directed at other forum members. This is strictly forbidden on this forum in any way, shape or form. If anyone wishes to lash out against another person there are plenty of other places on the Wild World Web to vent. This is not one.

We realize this is a highly emotional topic, but that never gives permission to allow those emotions to spill over into personal and ad hominem attacks. Doing so only lowers the level of discourse and reputation of the person doing it. Repetition of such attacks may lead to abrupt and unannounced dismissal from the forum as clearly stated in our rules of participation.
    Like quoting Dickens on Christmas Eve? This is really a trip. Honestly.

This is probably a "personal attack", too, but I took a break from this forum yet again after yet another military assignment. I'm shocked but not surprised to find that the discussion has devolved from how terrible Detroit is to which tony suburb is worse. Just delete my username. This is way too much negativity for such a nice time of year. I wish you the best and Happy Holidays, but there is a sense of dereliction of duty in maintaining a meaningful level of discussion here. It's just become the Freep and News comments sections. This board has outlived its usefulness. It had a good run, though.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

This is probably a "personal attack", too, but I took a break from this forum yet again after yet another military assignment. I'm shocked but not surprised to find that the discussion has devolved from how terrible Detroit is to which tony suburb is worse. Just delete my username. This is way too much negativity for such a nice time of year. I wish you the best and Happy Holidays, but there is a sense of dereliction of duty in maintaining a meaningful level of discussion here. It's just become the Freep and News comments sections. This board has outlived its usefulness. It had a good run, though.
    Poobs, What do you expect from a bunch of momma's boys, who's idea of work is posting a reply. [[read it quick before it gets deleted) Thanx for stepping up to the plate and keeping us safe. A very Merry Christmas, [[quick, read it before it gets deleted) and a Happy New Year to you and yours. [[sincerely)

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    There is no question that both victims in question were fighting with police. That is not in dispute.
    There was no video to see how exactly the interaction went down with Michael Brown and Daren. So you can't assume without a doubt that Brown was fighting with Wilson.

As far as Garner, I don't think someone restrained on the ground shouting "I can't breathe!!!" is going to pick a fight with a gang of police officers...

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

It's funny you speak of negativity from others...

Do you ever come here and say anything positive about the state of Michigan and its people? I have yet to see a recent post in which you've done so.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There was no video to see how exactly the interaction went down with Michael Brown and Daren. So you can't assume without a doubt that Brown was fighting with Wilson.

As far as Garner, I don't think someone restrained on the ground shouting "I can't breathe!!!" is going to pick a fight with a gang of police officers...

How do you mean a gang?

There must have been only 15 of them as far as I can tell from the video. You seem to forget he was a pretty big fellow. And he had cigarettes on him. Everybody knows cigarettes are lethal...

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Lower-middle class white girls from the suburbs living out their Kardashian, Izzy Azalea & Nicki Minaj fantasies the media glorifies, slumming around black Detroit trash and dabbling in drugs. Black boys got themselves some "dumb white bitches" they're obsessed with knocking up and running away from. White girls parents asleep at the wheel. Took me all of 30 seconds to look at their twitter associates and found Detroit trash.

Completely avoidable. I can tell you one thing, if that was my daughter, the little Detroit roach they were with would have had...difficulty...talking to reporters yesterday.

Yes. At least once in awhile some brilliance comes out of that trash to prove again that hard work and common sense applies. Look at Eminem's story. In another life [[[or generation) or country] he might have continued on stamping at American Axle or wherever. Instead, he got hooked up and copied the ghetto trash around his lowly digs and propped himself up outside of the crappy circumstances of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Update: http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...eens/20857915/

Robbery gone bad. I guarantee the Detroit boy knows exactly who the shooter is.
    But wait, there's more from the Detnews.... DPD working under assumption it was random.

...is now likely the result of a random robbery gone bad, police said Wednesday.
    In the hours after the shooting, police thought someone had targeted the teens who had stopped their car to smoke marijuana, but further investigation now suggests that isn't the case, Detroit Police Officer Adam Madera said.

"We're now working under the premise that it was a robbery gone bad," Madera said. "Our investigators reinterviewed the victims; their stories are more consistent now. We're working under the assumption that this was random."
    So, let's think about that for a second... DPD is working under the assumption there is a guy tooling around the Detroit/GP border with an AK in his car at the ready and the apparent lack of any concern about spraying a car full of teens he "randomly" came across at 9:00pm on a weeknight in a botched attempt to snag..what? maybe some iphones and some petty cash ?
    I think that "assumption" is going to be proven to be as false as the first statements about how they were all just going to a movie. however, in the unlikely event it's true... Duggan is going to look pretty fucking silly if he throws another tantrum about a street closure in the immediate area.
    Last edited by bailey; December-24-14 at 12:45 PM.

I don't know exactly what happened. I wasn't there. The whole thing is a tragedy, including some of the nasty comments on this thread. Most important, a young person is dead.
    Perhaps a clear view of what occurred will be presented, but she is still dead.
    Sad beyond words.

MAcc, they all be dancin'with the devil...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast