Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tent City?

Hybrid View

Default Tent City?

"Detroit officials have received no complaints about the tent city and have no plans to move them from the park, said Sgt. Michael Woody, a police department spokesman...."

It won't take long now, them Fireweed squatters out there on Goldengate and Woodward found that out after a write up in the paper.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/20737307/
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; December-22-14 at 09:58 AM.

I wonder if I tried camping on Belle Isle in the summer I would be able to use the same excuse. Will report back...

"They're not breaking any laws that are violent in nature or effecting quality of life issues,"

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I wonder if I tried camping on Belle Isle in the summer I would be able to use the same excuse. Will report back...

"They're not breaking any laws that are violent in nature or effecting quality of life issues,"
    They are "effecting" quality of life issues...for everyone else. They are creating a tent city on a major throughofare of a major city. All evidence to the contrary, this isn't the third world. They are trespassing, squatting on public land and should be removed to a shelter... no matter if "They really don't like shelter life because of the rules."

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    They are "effecting" quality of life issues...for everyone else. They are creating a tent city on a major throughofare of a major city. All evidence to the contrary, this isn't the third world. They are trespassing, squatting on public land and should be removed to a shelter... no matter if "They really don't like shelter life because of the rules."
    As you type this with your warm hands, gas heat and a roof over your head.... These people aren't hurting you, as you look down from your lofty perch. Just thank God it's not you. Instead of thinking of ways to whisk them away to somewhere out-of-sight & out-of-mind, so you don't have to look at them in their unpleasantness, have you considered how you might help them? Better yet, since they haven't asked for your help, just leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Detroit is no longer a major city. I dont see these campers causing anyone inconvenience besides themselves. It warms my heart to know their presence is causing quality of life problems for you tho. Must be miserable to be bailey. Stuck on stressing over what other people choose to do with themselves... and dont bother frontlin like you dont.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Detroit is no longer a major city. I dont see these campers causing anyone inconvenience besides themselves. It warms my heart to know their presence is causing quality of life problems for you tho. Must be miserable to be bailey. Stuck on stressing over what other people choose to do with themselves... and dont bother frontlin like you dont.
    The answer is fix the shelters, not lawlessness. it's a park, not a camp ground.

ironic that someone said get a job as a dishwasher. I mentioned we are assisting a homeless black man and thats what he is doing. $9 hrly. He is crime free, drug free but It is a new start. To get a job you need a phone, an address, clean clothes, money for bus fare or a ride to interviews. He deserves a better job and that will come but he needed a start or re-start as the case may be.

Strange, he got robbed by young white punks in Grosse Pointe upon leaving work.

Down towards the bottom of this article is a comment of dwellings sharing or stealing utilities. This is something that is going on everywhere and increasing.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...our-own-753586

Even on God's little acre in Blissville, USA.

I'm sure there is some law somewhere, however obscure, written years ago that can and will be used against them.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; December-22-14 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I'm sure they is some law somewhere, however obscure, written years ago that can and will be used against them.
    Obscure? It's basic trespassing. You can't set up a permanent encampment in a park.

there needs to be more state and county resources directed at low-income/uninsured mental health assistance, as well as shelters. There are empty schools and other abandoned city buildings that can be converted to shelters. The city should partner up with established human service agencies.

Willi Guest

Let's wait till its 5 degrees outside
    - some things take care of themselves
    Last edited by Willi; December-22-14 at 11:29 AM.

There is [[or was) a group of 4-5 tents in the south part of Lafayette Park just off Jefferson as well. I'm sure there are more around the city. As long as they're not causing problems, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    There is [[or was) a group of 4-5 tents in the south part of Lafayette Park just off Jefferson as well. I'm sure there are more around the city. As long as they're not causing problems, meh.
    I have an idea. Why not invite them over to Grand Circus Park?

I see zero cause for levity at the expense of the poor. My near neighbor just lost his home to fire today. Looks like faulty wires were at fault, just don't know the causes yet.

Fortunately, relations nearby are putting them up. Thank God no one was at home. They struggle to survive so doubt it was not insurance fraud

That is the face of the newly homeless.

His wife walks the kids to school everyday, I adore their 3 three daughters who spend a lot of time in my home. They lost everything! The look on Tres face when he came home to firefighters, police everywhere and his home in flames. He cried, we all cried.
    Last edited by sumas; December-23-14 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I see zero cause for levity at the expense of the poor. My near neighbor just lost his home to fire today. Looks like faulty wires were at fault, just don't know the causes yet.

Fortunately, relations nearby are putting them up. Thank God no one was at home. They struggle to survive so doubt it was insurance fraud

That is the face of the newly homeless.

His wife walks the kids to school everyday, I adore their 3 three daughters who spend a lot of time in my home. They lost everything! The look on Tres face when he came home to firefighters, police everywhere and his home in flames. He cried, we all cried.

I am very sorry to hear that Sue. My thoughts are with you this Christmas and I keep wishing for better times around you. You certainly put a lot of effort into helping your community, and you manage to have humor throughout this. Lots of love. JFK

Thank you Canuck. We all lost it earlier today. Another lovely home lost, a family homeless. They have strong family and area ties so most likely can recover with help. It won't be the same but they will prevail.

We will stand in the wings, raise money etc as necessary, wait to to find out their needs. We tend to be a sort of clearing house for info for the neighorhood. I am wearing no shining star I can name three women of color who are better hooked into the system that can help then myself. Somehow all will get taken care of.

People think Detroit is a wasteland and they are so wrong. The simple tenacity is an inspiration to me daily. The caring , sharing that exists in the poorer communities is real.

Still plan on visiting the tent city tomorrow/today. Needs are great and no fellow human should be diminished. for lack of resources.

Homelessness is no joking matter.

A man and family lost their ancestral home today. For the assholes with shitty comments about Detroit and Detroiters please try a different forum. You aren't funny nor witty. The community has already rallied around nuturing this family.

Community, family, churches and local agencies will be rallyed. Oh forgot thats WELFARE.

I am sending out a HUGE fuck you to self centered bigots who like to expound on this forum that Detroiters suck and you are just so cool.

This is a big tragedy for this family and our community. So bring on the jokes assholes. I'll take Detroit any day, we have heart and souls. We can't replace a lost home but surely we will help them in their hour of darkness and need. Plans are already in place for temporary shelter, relocation, furniture, clothing, food etc.

We are all heart sick but by all means keep those jokes and slanders coming. I'll consider the source. Obviously brain dead soulless people. May God have mercy on you.
    Last edited by sumas; December-22-14 at 10:41 PM.

A man and family lost their ancestral home today. For the assholes with shitty comments about Detroit and Detroiters please try a different forum. You aren't funny nor witty. The community has already rallied around nuturing this family.

Community, family, churches and local agencies will be rallyed. Oh forgot thats WELFARE.

I am sending out a HUGE fuck you to self centered bigots who like to expound on this forum that Detroiters suck and you are just so cool.

This is a big tragedy for this family and our community. So bring on the jokes assholes. I'll take Detroit any day, we have heart and souls. We can't replace a lost home but surely we will help them in their hour of darkness and need. Plans are already in place for temporary shelter, relocation, furniture, clothing, food etc.

We are all heart sick but by all means keep those jokes and slanders coming. I'll consider the source. Obviously brain dead soulless people. May God have mercy on you.

Sumas loses it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfthrizXKOM

The empathy on this thread completely underwhelms me. The bulk of You seriously have no clue about the deplorable conditions at most/ not all, homeless shelters. On occaision we have housed homeless citizens. Have one now, he acquired a stable job, saved a bit and plans to get his own place in January.

Most "private" shelters collect state money and they are frauds. They turn people out at 8am regardless of temp, provide no food, quite often no beds, no counciling and people can't return until 6 pm. Each shelter has "term" limits some 30 days, some 60 days. In addition, what one owns must be taken with that person daily or they toss it in the trash.

A tent may suck but it provides minimal shelter 24/7.

The empathy on this thread completely underwhelms me. The bulk of You seriously have no clue about the deplorable conditions at most/ not all, homeless shelters. On occaision we have housed homeless citizens. Have one now, he acquired a stable job, saved a bit and plans to get his own place in January.

Most "private" shelters collect state money and they are frauds. They turn people out at 8am regardless of temp, provide no food, quite often no beds, no counciling and people can't return until 6 pm. Each shelter has "term" limits some 30 days, some 60 days. In addition, what one owns must be taken with that person daily or they toss it in the trash.

The lack of empathy stems from fear and guilt.

They fear life in/around Detroit isn't all the sunshine, puppies and roses they once thought and that they can also end up in the same situation as those who have no option but to live in these homeless shelters and tent cities.

They also feel guilty because they know they don't have the resources to truly help these people who have been dealt a cruel hand by fate in a practical way.

So demonizing them and pretending as if they don't exist is sort of their coping/defense mechanism when being forced to acknowledge their plight.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-22-14 at 05:10 PM.

The Tent city on Lafayette is right next to our co op. The residents are none too pleased for obvious reasons. They do not feel safe with the people milling around. There are obvious sanitary issues. We are not too thrilled with people defecating and urinating in the open as well as littering garbage in areas we work hard to keep clean and safe. Its also highly illegal to be setting up home there. I dont think the concerns are ill placed. Do you want this next to your home? These people obviuosly need help, and we need to figure this out, however you cant just let these settlements take over city areas for the above mentioned reasons.
    Last edited by DetBill; December-23-14 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    The Tent city on Lafayette is right next to our co op. The residents are none too pleased for obvious reasons. They do not feel safe with the people milling around. There are obvious sanitary issues. We are not too thrilled with people defecating and urinating in the open as well as littering garbage in areas we work hard to keep clean and safe. Its also highly illegal to be setting up home there. I dont think the concerns are ill placed. Do you want this next to your home? These people obviuosly need help, and we need to figure this out, however you cant just let these settlements take over city areas for the above mentioned reasons.
    I'm confused... It's illegal for the tenters to be living next to legal residents, yet a poster suggests the legal residents should "Take a collection, rent a porta potty" for them to enable them to stay there in a more sanitary condition?
    Last edited by Vic01; December-23-14 at 05:09 PM.

I for one appreciate that their little tent city is drawing attention to the plight of the homeless. Trust me it's true, remember, there but for the Grace of God go I.

I adopt people where ever I go, it is in our nature. Laugh, taunt whatever you want. Live in your little plaster board homes. For all others who care, I really wish you a wonderful Christmas and a tranquil New Year.

Funny thing, the less people have the more they share, the more people have they tend to hoard. Please remember folks, you can't take it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    The DPD said no one has complained. You know what you have to do. Get a petition together and if the DPD still refuses to do their job, contact your council rep, then start moving up the chain of command. Once they hunker in, you're going to have a harder time getting them out. These neighborhood do-gooders are happy to help, as long as they're on your turf and not on theirs.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast