Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Tent City?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I sympathize with homeless people with mental illness, disabilities, heck, even a criminal record. But I don't think able bodied individuals need to be homeless. Just google "dishwasher wanted Detroit" and you'll get a couple of hundred results. Most jobs pay at least 8 or 9 dollars an hour. Can you not rent a room on 350 a week?
    Would you hire someone who is without shelter and what we take for granted, such as a shower and basic toiletries? Because yeah, I don't think anyone would. So if that person doesn't get that minimum wage job, which also does not provide them enough income to get by on, how do they pull themselves out of that cycle? The argument of "Just get a job!!" or "Work harder!!" doesn't solve the issue that people without jobs often don't have the means to get, let alone keep, that job. Stop shaming the poor and homeless and start asking what you can do to make their lives better.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Would you hire someone who is without shelter and what we take for granted, such as a shower and basic toiletries? Because yeah, I don't think anyone would. So if that person doesn't get that minimum wage job, which also does not provide them enough income to get by on, how do they pull themselves out of that cycle? The argument of "Just get a job!!" or "Work harder!!" doesn't solve the issue that people without jobs often don't have the means to get, let alone keep, that job. Stop shaming the poor and homeless and start asking what you can do to make their lives better.
    Maybe for a 6 figure corporate position, I would say not. But construction sites, restaurants, and other businesses do pick up day laborers for meager positions @ minimum wage, which someone has already oh this forum has pointed out. Finding that job isn't easy but it's an "IN" and a start. Lately, there's been an influx in Detroit of young, able bodied, men and women, sitting on corners and asking for hand-outs. To me, they don't appear to be locals. One woman I know for sure I've seen in various locations around Metro-Detroit, as far as 8 miles out. Stop shaming the employed who are constantly being hit on to give more, and let them live out their lives in peace, and enjoy what they've earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe for a 6 figure corporate position, I would say not. But construction sites, restaurants, and other businesses do pick up day laborers for meager positions @ minimum wage, which someone has already oh this forum has pointed out. Finding that job isn't easy but it's an "IN" and a start. Lately, there's been an influx in Detroit of young, able bodied, men and women, sitting on corners and asking for hand-outs. To me, they don't appear to be locals. One woman I know for sure I've seen in various locations around Metro-Detroit, as far as 8 miles out. Stop shaming the employed who are constantly being hit on to give more, and let them live out their lives in peace, and enjoy what they've earned.
    That's not consistent work. You need consistent work in order to build a solid nest egg, if you will. "Day laboring" is a start, sure, but it's not consistent work and your employment could stop at the end of the day. Plus, you aren't covered by federal and state employment laws, so it's very easy to get screwed.

And the last part about being asked to give more... I was going to type up some lengthy response about how damn selfish that sounds, but it'd fall on deaf ears. Enjoy your extra shinies you get to get buried with I guess?

That's not consistent work. You need consistent work in order to build a solid nest egg, if you will. "Day laboring" is a start, sure, but it's not consistent work and your employment could stop at the end of the day. Plus, you aren't covered by federal and state employment laws, so it's very easy to get screwed.

And the last part about being asked to give more... I was going to type up some lengthy response about how damn selfish that sounds, but it'd fall on deaf ears. Enjoy your extra shinies you get to get buried with I guess?
    Thanx for your wonderful insight into the day-labor market, but I've been there and done that. As far as donating, feel free to give as much as you want, no one's stopping you. If I do decide to be buried with this mass wealth I've accumulated, I'll rest easy knowing I earned what I have, and didn't sit on my can wining how bad off I am and how life is unfair. "Gimme, gimme, gimme", those honky tonk blues.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-24-14 at 10:00 AM.

yes, but if your day labor boss is a decent person and you work diligently and reliably for him, that is your ticket to the permanent job.

I have been there 3 times now. The first to ask what they needed, the second to deliver items, got more info and returned today with requests. Mostly they needed caste iron skillets for cooking and candles. Delivered that and one better a really nice camp lantern that is battery operated. It isn't ours. We lost power for one and a half weeks and got it on loan. We did ask permission to pay it forward. Permission granted. Also a large plastic covered bin to keep some of their stuff dry.

I do worry about sanition.

The goal is not to create a permanent tent city but jobs/decent housing. I support the protest. Things can be done to assist but no money and no resources requires outside help. Most homeless shelters are mockeries. Do your own homework.

We plan to host them here and catelogue the variouus needs and talents. I'll work the phones to get each and everyone some real assistance. A local church gives them one meal a day, shower, once a week and laundry priveledges once a week.

Our society should be able to provide better than that.

Ste Sumas