Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bill Bonds was a legend and the first Million dollar anchor man, I love the stand up and tell'em your from Detroit because that is a time capsule moment for the city. It was another good vibe, the city is coming back period in the mid 80's after the recession was over and just before crack had really took hold on the community.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    The 1940 US Census indicates that in 1940 as well as 1935, William D. Bonds lived with his parents Richard and Catherine Bonds at 1545 Burlingame Street, just east of 12th St. [[Rosa Parks).
    Thanks Mike. Looks like the house must be gone because today that address shows the lodge expressway. It looks like it was a very nice and affluent neighborhood at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    I wish I could find out more about Bill's background and his childhood. I know he had a brother who was in a terrible accident and had to be removed from life support when he was a young man....
    Bill Bonds' tribute to his brother

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And just out of idle curiosity- whatever happened to Al Ackerman? He was borne of the same crusty hard nosed mold as Bill Bonds but for the sports crowd. Is he still with us?
    He was retired and living in Florida as of 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emyXrclVwsY

Thanks, Dnerd! Great article. I wish there was a nice best of video.

I know I should let sleeping dogs lie, but I got a kick out of this ad in a Time magazine from May 1st 1972. Name:  billbondstime.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  53.3 KB

Speaking of Billy Boy and channels, I remember one studio interview with a computer whiz of the age. Back in the 80s somewhere [[don't remember for sure), long before most people had home computers, this guy was trying to explain the future of television via web streaming. BB kept trying to get the guy to commit to a firm number of channels that would be available. The guy was having trouble explaining the notion of URLs. BB kept pressing for a number. Nerd could only say 'thousands' or something like that. BB chimed back in with something like 'so, there will be thousands of TV channels?'

BB wasn't so bright sometimes. Though, at the time, I'm not sure many people understood the concept.

As a kid, I played football with Bill's son, John, out in Union Lake. John was QB, I was HB. Good kid, good family. Bill was great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2