Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Postal Service?

Default Postal Service?

Lately everyone in my area is getting everyone else' s mail. We are all running around getting mail to neighbors. Two pieces I need to get to two separate neighbors today.

What is this about? Keeps up and and as a community, we want pay for doing their job right.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Lately everyone in my area is getting everyone else' s mail. We are all running around getting mail to neighbors. Two pieces I need to get to two separate neighbors today.

What is this about? Keeps up and and as a community, we want pay for doing their job right.
    Annoying, eh? I can't say I'm seeing the same problem but about a year ago I noticed the mail arriving later and later in the day — often after dark. That situation has since improved.

There seems to be some political chicanery going on behind the scenes to starve the post office out of existence.

From 08/27/2012: Postal Service Financial Problems: 10 Things They Don't Want You To Know

... government-mandated [Postal Service] payments to pre-fund health care benefits for postal retirees -- 75 years into the future.... Private-sector companies -- and even most other branches of the federal government, like, say, the Army -- aren't required to fund their health benefits so far in advance....

... Despite the Postal Service's debt, its retiree benefit coffers are beyond full. Its pension funds are more than 100% funded, compared with 42% for all federal pension funds and 80% for the average Fortune 1000 pension plan....
    I can't say whether or not that's causing your particular problem, sumas, but it seems to be unnecessarily stressing the whole postal system. Also, Christmas is approaching, of course.

If you are getting your neighbors mail that's normally an issue with the delivery person. I'm pretty sure they sort out all the mail for their route each day before heading out and that's where the problem is most likely occurring. Do you the same carrier everyday? It may be a sub [[Or multiple subs) handling your route and they may not be familiar with names and addresses.
    As Jimaz mentioned this is the busiest time of year for the Post Office, so mistakes are more likely now that any other time of year.

I used to have that problem in my mail room. I would constantly get my neighbors mail, which I would hand deliver, but my missing mail would end up in somebody's trash ?
    Who knows ?
    Lazy neighbors I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    If you are getting your neighbors mail that's normally an issue with the delivery person. I'm pretty sure they sort out all the mail for their route each day before heading out and that's where the problem is most likely occurring. Do you the same carrier everyday? It may be a sub [[Or multiple subs) handling your route and they may not be familiar with names and addresses.
    As Jimaz mentioned this is the busiest time of year for the Post Office, so mistakes are more likely now that any other time of year.
    I try hard not to swear but the stupid bitch is spending time down the street where soft drugs are for sale.... way too much time down the street. She grew up around here, schooled with area residents. Really don't mind not getting junk mail but do mind not getting important mail I am expecting. Useless, useless,,,, many worthy people need work and she gets a skate?

I love my neighborhood!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I love my neighborhood!
    Of course I do, the mail lady moved to the burbs years ago. She is someone elses nightmare as a neighbor.
    Last edited by sumas; January-06-15 at 07:43 AM.

My sister in law sent us a Christmas card and enclosed a gift card. We never got it. She sent some wedding pics and asked if we got the card. Called her and she said thought you didn't because you call, email or send a thank you note.

I called our local post office and got a very bored employee but she did give me a number to call for investigation.

A little stunned, the post office investigative dept is taking this quite serious. Did note we seem to have a different carrier for the past few weeks now and no way was it her and made that plain.

Never had any issues with postal workers before, knew their names, privately tipped at Christmas. So this is no condemnation of carriers everywhere. Never before had one that was not charming.

We are in Southfield and have one of those rural boxes on the other side of the street. One day a couple years ago a carrier left a package that was too big for the box on the grass at the base of the post. Luckily, when I got home it was there. I called about it next day and the supervisor sounded like a mad hornet about it. Never found out what happened about it though. So, a few months back, FedEx left a next day delivery envelope out on the grass by the mailbox. It had a big check in it. Called them and they were quite uninterested in hearing about it. A few weeks later, we got a real-not-SPAM FedEx notice that they could not deliver an expected next day package because they could not find our address. Had to go over and pick it up. Again they were completely uninterested in hearing about it. Big shrugs from them. I used to like FedEx but they are sure slipping in our area.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    We are in Southfield and have one of those rural boxes on the other side of the street. One day a couple years ago a carrier left a package that was too big for the box on the grass at the base of the post. Luckily, when I got home it was there. I called about it next day and the supervisor sounded like a mad hornet about it. Never found out what happened about it though. So, a few months back, FedEx left a next day delivery envelope out on the grass by the mailbox. It had a big check in it. Called them and they were quite uninterested in hearing about it. A few weeks later, we got a real-not-SPAM FedEx notice that they could not deliver an expected next day package because they could not find our address. Had to go over and pick it up. Again they were completely uninterested in hearing about it. Big shrugs from them. I used to like FedEx but they are sure slipping in our area.
    Not sure about Fed Ex but for sure UPS went to part time no bennefits labor in a big way.

My favorite ups story was when we lived in GPP. My husband had a home business. Two boxes were delivered. One large one small. It was christmas time. We had a large walled porch but they left the packages in full view of the street. The smaller package got stolen. Both packages insured. Ups had to cut a check for 15K. Who ever stole that package got nothing for their effort as it contained equipment for parking security.

UPS website quote on part-time employees indicates that UPS does indeed offer medical benefits to part-times. I know for certain that UPS offers tuition assistance to part-time employees who are union members.
    "
    1. Experience full-time benefits as part-time employee for UPS. As a part-time package handler you can work part time and receive full health benefits. In this career ...

Actually, Fed Ex drivers have to buy or lease their own trucks. The company considers them independent contractors so they don't receive benefits. I believe that's being challenged in the courts. I've talked to a few of them and they have [[some do) a pretty tough time of making it, which probably has something to do with why they rush around more and attempt to run a profitable route.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Actually, Fed Ex drivers have to buy or lease their own trucks. The company considers them independent contractors so they don't receive benefits. I believe that's being challenged in the courts. I've talked to a few of them and they have [[some do) a pretty tough time of making it, which probably has something to do with why they rush around more and attempt to run a profitable route.
    I had no clue about that. Thank you for telling me. My neighbor gets lots of deliveries from fed ex [[home business) They make a big effort to deliver person to person. Once in a while we order on line and delivery is usually fed ex. Now I know I should tip them. My dogs go berserk over postal service or UPS delivery. Never a peep if its Fed EX maybe they knew something I didn't.

... My dogs go berserk over postal service or UPS delivery. Never a peep if its Fed EX maybe they knew something I didn't.
    Maybe it's some secret hamburger-scented perfume.

It is true, yes, that the Post Office is being required to do something that no business anywhere in human history has ever been required to do. They are actually funding retirement pensions and health benefits for people who haven't been born yet. I also understand that when this horrible requirement is removed, they would be operating at a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by frankfrank View Post
    It is true, yes, that the Post Office is being required to do something that no business anywhere in human history has ever been required to do. They are actually funding retirement pensions and health benefits for people who haven't been born yet. I also understand that when this horrible requirement is removed, they would be operating at a profit.
    Not really sure where you are going with your comments. Commitments were made. People receiving those pensions are not at fault. Definitely re do contracts as needed. But a contract is a contract.

If pension funding is an issue perhaps you might investigate the gravy deal law makers get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Maybe it's some secret hamburger-scented perfume.
    We do seem to have a new carrier the past four weeks and the dogs might lift their heads and whine for a moment but no commotion. Must be someone shared that secret perfume concoction.

Not really sure where you are going with your comments. Commitments were made. People receiving those pensions are not at fault. Definitely re do contracts as needed. But a contract is a contract.

If pension funding is an issue perhaps you might investigate the gravy deal law makers get.
    Of course the USPS needs to pay pensions, etc. for people who are under the contracts for the pensions and health benefits.

But they are being forced, by the Republicans, to FUND this stuff *NOW* for people who won't even retire until as late as 2080 or 2090. PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN BORN YET. No other company in the history of the world has ever had to do this...and it HAS to come out of their general operating budget.

Quote Originally Posted by frankfrank View Post
    ...But they are being forced, by the Republicans, to FUND this stuff *NOW* for people who won't even retire until as late as 2080 or 2090. PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN BORN YET. No other company in the history of the world has ever had to do this...and it HAS to come out of their general operating budget.
    I've posted a bunch about this. Here's just one of many: Peter Defazio: Saving the Postal Service.

The Parasitic Saboteurs in Power™ snuck in that poison pill to destroy the postal service.

Sorry Jimaz, didn't open the attachment. My husband spent hours with tech support in India cleaning up our computer, until after 3 am to be exact. Now I am leery of opening anything.

What I find strange is the postal service is using u haul rentals more and more to deliver. Is their fleet in that bad of shape or are they requiring carriers to run expanded routes and need larger vehicles?

New carrier again. Misdirected mail again. Pretty much everyone knows everyone so it generally gets to the rightful receipient. The one that is a bit bizarre is our neighbor on the south end of the block and the west side has now had his mail deliver to housing that is boarded but being rehabbed [[the contractor brought his mail to him) but wierder yet his mail keeps going to a neighbor on the north end of the block and on the eastside of the street.

Sorry Jimaz, didn't open the attachment. My husband spent hours with tech support in India cleaning up our computer, until after 3 am to be exact. Now I am leery of opening anything.

What I find strange is the postal service is using u haul rentals more and more to deliver. Is their fleet in that bad of shape or are they requiring carriers to run expanded routes and need larger vehicles?

New carrier again. Misdirected mail again....
    Your hesitation is understandable given those circumstances. You probably already know how to confirm a link's URL before clicking.

The link goes to a 7-minute YouTube video of Peter DeFazio, Oregon Representative, basically explaining a detailed history confirming what frankfrank posted.

I haven't seen these UHaul postal trucks. That's interesting.

I have seen them switching carriers in our neighborhood too. It seems guaranteed to lead to unnecessary mistakes. I wonder how they justify it.

Just today we all did a big neighborhood mail exchange for yesterdays delivery, Mr. L's mail went to Mr. K's house, we got mail for Ms C who got mail for Ms T who got mail for Mr K. Gets weird... cold as anything out and we are all playing post office. Way more fun when it was a preteen game involving kissing

Still don't know what happened to our missing gift card. Probably went to a wrong address and they said "COOL".

Don't knock Detroit on this, we are discussing a federal agency!

This was kind of cute: A Day In The Life of a Mail Carrier

It is kind of an American Icon. It's hard to miss spotting them on their relentless rounds.

This one's kind of funny. At 1:32 they show a big FedEx truck pushing an oven down the freeway!

Deliveries gone wild