Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For a brief period before Hudson's closed, I worked in the Baker's Shoe store on Woodward while going to college. I remember that the shoes were stored in the basement and also on the 2nd floor. That 2nd floor was kind of spooky because it was an almost carbon copy of the first floor layout, with sales stands and counters/shelves... but long ago closed down. Floors 3-8 were empty, and had been that way for many years... with pigeons sometimes making their way down from outside access in the upper floors.

Practically all of the upper floors of all the buildings along Woodward retailers were empty. Just 1 floor of selling space, and nothing at all above, not even residential.

Never got those photos...anyone new can provide something?

Gistok is correct. I know it's out of the time line, but in the late 60's I worked for National Shoes on Woodward, and it was the same thing. The second floor was where the tintables were, and looked like a closed off second sales floor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2