Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by DETGES View Post
    A part of this movement is to eventually transition from fossil fuels to sustainable energy.

I think that in reality, it would be much harder to move energy companies directly than it would be to force them to change via external and indirect sources like the car industry.

People will stop buying gas powered cars in protest, they won't shut off the electricity in their homes in protest. That is the difference.
    ndavies has all ready laid down the only truth you need to know. If your goal is increase electric car production and sales beyond the one you own [[or plan to own) tax the gasoline. Only higher fuel prices and taxes will push the consumer to alternatives like electric cars or public transportation. Demand for electric vehicles is the only thing that will push production of more efficient vehicles, building power grid upgrades has nothing to do with it, that will come with the demand.

Unfortunately all the leaders in Lansing just shot down raising the gasoline tax in favor of a sales tax increase so you do have an uphill political fight.

I myself have have an entirely different motivation to see the consumption of petroleum reduced in America so I will support your efforts. Going to war 4 times in the last 25 years in the middle east is plenty enough for me. Anyone who can't see that sooner or later a full out war will shut down the straight of Hormuz cutting off one third of the worlds oil supply suddenly causing the world oil markets to go off the chart must ignore that whole "world news" part of where they get their news. I think it would be prudent to isolate America from that threat as much as possible maybe not even fighting that war would be fucking great. Tax the GD gasoline now, get auto companies to produce more efficient vehicles because consumers want/need them. Besides, I've already seen what happens when no one wants to buy the big 3's large SUVs and pickup trucks suddenly, bankruptcy's no fun either.

Great to have another person with me. Right now I am in the process of drafting a bill to tax carbon, but for it to pass it needs to be on the ballot. I am going to need some money up front to hire a company to collect around 250k signatures; I am also looking at a few companies that might be interested in 'sponsoring' the bill so that it can get the signatures that it requires.

If this bill is done right, it has a high chance of passing.

I'm pumped to get this going.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4